How to have sharp images?

2»

Comments

• MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    edited January 2013
    Hi DJBee49,

Sounds like a great trick!

One of my previous customers and great working relationships was the Center for Puppetry Arts in Atlanta, GA. I have done the photography for their press and stage art for many of their shows. Puppetry can involve projections with shadow art, interactions, and whatever the director and producer can dream up.

The last was Anne Frank: Within, Without. It was a terrific show.

I still have an RB67 with two lenses, if you're interested. Just saying... ;-)

For me personally, the end product 'is' the point and always has been. I took courses from photographers who made it very clear that process is about product, or what's the point?

Ansel Adams - a very much process guy - used a microwave oven right outside his darkroom to dry his test prints quickly to see if his exposure was correct to continue his process, rather than wait to develop another print. He wanted to hurry that part of the process. There's no doubt he would love Photoshop.

And as for sharp images, it begins with controlling camera movement during exposure, lens filters, flare, DOF, focus, subject movement, environmental movement, and post processing.

My best,

Mike

Post edited by MikeGunter on
  • DJBee49DJBee49 Posts: 133Member
    Lovely camera the RB but no thanks! I have an attic full of film stuff that I may never use again.

I of course agree about process and product......almost! I think sometimes the journey does have merit and two people travelling to the same place by different routes may have different experiences, not necessarily of equal merit. Blame Robert Pirsig for that little piece of navel gazing! Clients paying for the job are, of course, normally not much interested in the route, only the product and how much it costs!

I bet Ansel Adams would indeed have loved Photoshop. He did quite a lot of work on Polaroids at the end of his life as I remember and never stopped experimenting. Great guy.

I tried to link to your Anne Frank show but couldn't make it work. Pity, I would have liked to have seen them.

Back to the thread (!)-The sharp images? Of course, all of those parameters at least!
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    About the sandbags - WHY USE SAND? @-) You can get shotgun shell shot in size 7 or so which will give you all the weight, all the ability to drape over things and zero risk of grit where you don't want it.....
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Sand was free....and in the two plastic bags...no real chance of any sand dripping out as the sand bags themselves are double sealed to prevent leaks However, the shot is great until you want six bags each weighing in at 10-15 pounds which is about USD $100 in lead.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    6 x 10-15lb = 60 to 90lb @-) forget the price, I can't imagine why I would want to carry that Tommie - you are made of sterner stuff than me!
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I actually have used some on the tripod legs in extremely windy locations...30-40 mph. And when one carries this in the bay of a 40,000 lb bus, no problem.
    Msmoto, mod
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    edited January 2013
    Sandbags, ...bah. Go to your local sporting goods store (Sports Authority, etc.) and buy some ankle weights - 10lb, 20lb.... Wear them on your ankles to your location of chioce then take them off and use them to weigh your gear down. Fashion, function, as well as keeping you fit. :D

Joking aside, I've used those ankle weights on light stands when using the SB-900 with a small softbox or umbrella outside. It still requires very little wind action but keeps things in place when working on unlevel ground.
    Post edited by Rx4Photo on
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL