Nikon Photo Contest 2014-2015 Announced (with surprise new rules!)

AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
edited June 2014 in General Discussions
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce that entries for the Nikon Photo Contest 2014-2015 will be accepted between September 15 and December 15, 2014. Nikon Photo Contest (NPC) is one of the world's most prestigious international photo contests.

http://www.nikon.com/news/2014/0612_npc_01.htm

Surprise rule changes since last contest:

1. In all categories, Nikon will now accept entries from any digital device, including smartphones. Previously only entries created on digital cameras were eligible.

2. There are now two unrestricted Video categories, up to 180 seconds in length. Previously only Nikon 1 cameras were eligible for the "Motion Snapshot" category, and only short videos (45 seconds) made using a digital camera were eligible for the "Photographic Video" category. Under the new rules, video shot on smartphones and camcorders are now also eligible.

Do these rule changes foreshadow new exciting product announcements from Nikon in FY2014? You be the judge!! :D
Post edited by Ade on

Comments

• ElvisheferElvishefer Posts: 329Member
    edited June 2014
    Hrmmm... It might, or this might just be a brand play. The reach of the campaign would be significantly greater under the new rule set, and cheaper. By brand, of course, I'm not referring to reaching people who use Nikon cameras, but all the activity Nikon will do around the contest (Web sites, prizes, advertising, Social media, Award shows, etc.).

Or my next post will be from a smartphone with a Nikon imaging system. Who knows. /shrug

Edit: Spelling
    Post edited by Elvishefer on
    D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 200mm f/4 Micro, 105mm f/2.8 VRII Micro, 35mm f/1.8, 2xSB900, 1xSB910, R1C1, RRS Support...

... And no time to use them.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    In order to enter the completion ,you have to give Nikon your e mail address and quite a bit of other information .
    Pure gold to Nikon's Marketing department

So they are not bothered what camera you used.

Just the fact you MIGHT by one of their product is good enough
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    Suppose for a moment that images from an iPhone or Android smartphone (or even from a mirrorless camera) manage to capture one or two of the prizes, besting other entries from DSLRs.

That could seriously undercut Nikon's marketing message that you need a DSLR to capture the best images. It would be a de facto acknowledgement that smartphone pictures are not only "good enough" for most needs, but good enough even in the context of international photo competitions.

So I don't think this rule change was one taken lightly. Nikon already has numerous (and more effective) ways to harvest email addresses and identity likely buyers.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Sort of. That one is for iPhones only, so there's no direct comparison to DSLRs.

The Nikon rule change elevates iPhones to the same status as DSLRs. iPhones weren't eligible for entry last year; now they are.

Such a rule change is likely inevitable -- but I am surprised to see it from Nikon now.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I agree- until Nikon actually puts out a Nikon branded smart phone I can't see how this would benefit them.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    I wouldn't be surprised if Nikon and Apple made some nikkor glass for the iphone or have something related to each other.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited June 2014
    Could all this be a change in direction for Nikon and a forecast of things to come…. from Nikon? Maybe we will see Nikon's full frame mirrorless being introduced….? Like in September when the contest has opened….?
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited June 2014
    I really don't see anything new regarding end users using their iPhone's or other similar devices in taking pictures vs a DSLR. Case in point, Chase Jarvis book: The Best Camera Is The One That's With You: iPhone. In fact, this book came out in 2009.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    What's new is Nikon publicly endorsing this view.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited June 2014
    Within and photography contest, viewers should praise the image itself, not by what gear it was taken. We here in NRF, are open to images posted for what they are...regardless of what it was taken with. If it is acceptable to us, then why not by a manufacture that is in the industry itself. I personally welcome an "open forum."

This argument reminds me of an image taken of a tiger that was at zoo, were by the contest was labeled as "nature" photography, thus hinting that the image should have been taken of an animal in the wild, in it natural habitat. Many criticize the photographer for image being submitted, as well as those that judged the image as a winning photo. I found those that disagreed off base.

National Geography wining photo 2012.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    I like taking iphone pics using two apps one Hipstamatic and now 1 hour photo.
    It does a great job with black and white but hipstamatic keeps me on ios.
    I dont know if i would enter an iphone pic but i guess if its there as option why not?
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    Nikon should partner with someone to make a camera phone like this one...
    http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/samsung/galaxy-s-4-zoom-white.html#fbid=bLD_dAfYDcX
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
    Last year there were persistent rumors that Google's Nexus 5 would feature a Nikon-branded camera.

Those rumors didn't pan out, but maybe Nikon and Google are still working on a device partnership of some sort?

Google I/O 2014 starts in 10 days. Given the lack of new rumors this time around I don't think we'll see a Google-Nikon phone. Having said that, Nikon's Coolpix S8xxc line runs Android so we know there's some relationship between the two companies.
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    @ade I have heard that was an awful camera. Coworker got one and returned it right away. I think a phone with good camera > camera running a phone operating system.

I find myself guilty of using my phone camera (Samsung Galaxy S3) too much. I thought they looked ok until we printed out pictures for my daughters 2nd birthday. Even at 4x6 it was very easy to distinguish pics I took with my phone and ones I took with my D5000...on a small screen or for social media they are ok, but for real quality that you want to do anything with there isn't any comparison I think. Plus there is no flexibility in editing...Nikon RAW vs phone jpeg is a joke.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
    Agreed.

The S800c was horrid. Then again, Nikon just released the new S810c which is getting some good reviews (the Photography Blog did a full test and gave it 4.5 stars out of 5).

But like you said, a phone with a good camera is the more compelling product. I think the S8xxc line is merely a stepping stone for future devices.

We know that Nikon has been working on a secret product (possibly a smartphone) -- is this the year we will see it?