Licensing a Photo

Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
edited June 2014 in General Discussions
Hello all, I've just received an e-mail request (via Flickr) from someone wishing to use one of my photos from Park City, Utah in the banner for their company's website. Beyond being extremely humbled and flattered I don't know what to do or expect here. I will spend some time researching licensing a photo and try to make a decision soon. Can any of you who've been down this road before give me any ideas as to how this works? Thank you so very much.

Rob
Post edited by Rx4Photo on
D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

Comments

• proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    I've done a bit of this for a travel company (just enough to make my hobby self-sustaining). The price you negotiate should include the terms of usage. In other words, it's one price for use as the banner on their web site. It's quite another price if they also want to use it as the cover of their trail map, on billboards, etc. Take it from someone who's not gotten rich off this kind of thing — you probably won't get rich off this kind of thing. :)

But it's really cool and as PitchBlack says, a reflection of the fine work you do. Have they made you an offer? If you feel like you're being low-balled, PM me. I've got a good friend who's the CMO of a ski resort on the East Coast. He can give me a good idea of what the market rate is.
  • HipShotHipShot Posts: 528Member
    I license images a lot. (Not photos.)

You need to decide what rights you're granting the client, and for what duration, in writing.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I liscense a photo once and had a contract for what it was beign used for. Turns out they used it for something else additionally. While it was only for some wedding invitations and the second use was for a magnet to hold the date I let it go.

Othwerwise look into the contracts and rules/fee to an extent to cover youreself. You may want to look at the terms of Getty for example and use some as needed.
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    edited June 2014
    Thanks, all of you for your comments and help so far.
    They haven't made an offer to me yet but after reading the message a couple of times I get the feeling that they're looking for something free. Of course, after reading it the first time I went right to Google and searched Licensing a photo despite their line "Would you be willing to let us use the photo?" I'll respond with a proposal and more questions but nothing's for free.
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

I get those on occasion through Flickr. Nice. If you really want to see your name in lights and don't care about the $$ so much, get photo credit and see if you can wrangle a few days of free skiing. That doesn't cost them anything, since the lifts are turning anyway.

However, if it were me, I think I'd say thanks but no thanks. It's Park City; they have plenty of cash and shouldn't be pulling this crap.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Thanks to a co-worker (its always who you know) I been working with a Major sporting agency to get my foot in the door with sports.

I shared some of the street candids of the world cup USA fans via my blog with him and he asked if he can have them cosidered for web or tv viewing in the future with a name credit.
    Sounds good huh?
    While this is great for me getting my name out there I guess I can start looking into if I should liscense such photos and if I can get some compesation on them all while trying to get a job with such sporting agency in the future.

sorry to hi-jack your thread.

No problem @Vipmediastar_JZ. It's good to hear other people's experiences with such things. I've always wondered about the "what if someone sees my images and wants to use them" scenarios. Never thought it would happen. I'm actually planning to get back in touch with these guys tonight to see how they respond to having to pay to use my photo. To be continued...

• AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    edited June 2014
    Definitely get back to them asap. If not they will move on and pick someone else's photo.

I'd tell them that the picture is available for licensing, but kindly ask them for some details: 1) whether they need to license the picture exclusively (i.e., you can't license the picture to anyone else); 2) what do they want to use the picture for (print magazines, web, mobile apps, posters, billboards, etc.); 3) where will they use the picture (e.g., local ads in Utah, national ads, world-wise); 4) for how long do they want to use the picture for.

Depending on the response then you can provide a fair value for your picture. An exclusive for a global magazine ad should command more compensation than a non-exclusive web deal.

There are online tools from various photo associations you can use to get ballpark figures on what to charge. But, be flexible, and make that sale.
    Post edited by Ade on
    Just to follow up, I sent a response to the initial request yesterday but haven't heard anything from them as yet. I'm continuing to look at price estimators to get a feel for what numbers I should be thinking of in terms of price but will need to know more details from them.
    @Ade, I actually sent the response before I read your entry but I actually did pretty good...I asked most of the same questions that you suggested in your entry. Time will tell. I'll update this if anything begins to develop.
    Thank you as well Mark, Greg, HipShot, and Vip. We'll see where this goes.

2nd Follow up - The person who initially got in touch with me eventually emailed me back stating that he'd found (another) picture that suited what he wanted. So it's a no go for me here. I don't know if the other picture was given to them at no charge or at a cost. I never got to the point of talking price. One thing for sure, now that I have the name of their website/company, I might peek later down the line to see what photos are being used - if I even care enough to do such a thing. Thanks to all of you for your responses, encouragement, and compliments!!

• WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    Don't be humbled and don't be flattered. Being humbled and flattered makes you do silly things like let them have the photo too cheap. You create beautiful work that people want, so you're worth it.

I don't usually do anything special. I just tell them I have two prices: one for commercial use and one for personal. I send them a Paypal invoice with just the bare information about what is being offered. In this case I would write something like "photo licensed for commercial use" and that's it.
    Well said. We all have a heart but the heart should not be allowed to make decisions. That is the head's job.
    Definitely keep an eye on what they used. And I can pretty much guaranteed that the shooter of the photo they used when contacted probably said, "Awesome. That's amazing," with no mention of dollars. Exhibit A as to why there are not that many rich photographers (unless they started out that way). :)

Send us a link to the image. I took a look through your Flickr account and I think I know which one it is (loved it!), but am not sure.
    edited July 2014
    Sure,

Here's the photo that they were interested in...I was knee deep in snow and didn't really know if at some point I would step into a hidden ditch or something. I just stepped near or into other snowed-over foot prints. The barn was constructed of wood from old mine shafts without the use of nails and is considered the "unofficial welcome" to Park City, Utah.

Historic White Barn in Park City, Utah.