What is "touch-up" for Nikon Competition

NTTN2000NTTN2000 Posts: 4Member
edited January 2013 in General Discussions
I am planning to participate in the Nikon competition, but one of the guidelines is unclear to me. Can anyone help?
" Images that have been retouched using software or by other means will be accepted. " What is retouched? Is the of digital techniques such as digital filtering, exposure adjustment, etc. retouched? Is there an official definition of "retouched" ?

Comments

• TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
    Retouched means anything your manipulation of the digital image produces from your original with your software is okay.
  • NTTN2000NTTN2000 Posts: 4Member
    Thanks. So there is no extent of photoshopping that is too much for the Nikon competition.
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    edited January 2013
    Wikipedia-Manipulation for photo restoration or enhancement (adjusting colors / contrast / white balance (i.e. gradational retouching), sharpness, removing elements or visible flaws on skin or materials, ...)
    Check out Wikipedia (retouched) should tell you all you need to know. Hope it helps.
    They have it right above.
    Post edited by Parke1953 on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I'm with TriShooter - anything goes from cloning out dust on your sensor to complete compositions - so long as it is all your own work. Parkes answer seems to stop short of that whereas Nikons explanation does not seem to have any exceptions in it.
    Always learning.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited January 2013
    May be Nikon want to find out, how many of you really have got dust and oil on your sensors
    so if you have a D600, enter the competition :) :-\"
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
    @NTTN2000 While there is not a limit as long as it is your own work, like spraynpray said above, excessive retouching has ruined many good photographs. I know this because of getting carried away myself.

The genuine protrait and landscape photographers plan their shots carefully. They know where the sun is going to be and how low in the sky they want it. They are carrying filters to deal with the light that creates that beautiful frothy water looking out over the cliffs, and are consummate users of fill light, and focusing in the right place, with the best depth of field for their shots.

I love retouching because I grew up using a dark room, where it took a lot more time and effort to recover details in the shadows, and enhance increase and decrease contrast. It is fun, so I have to remind myself constantly that taking pictures is like playing golf; less is more effective than forcing it.

@sevencrossing

LOL, you have a stunning sense of humor with a little kick in it. Actually that is a good suggestion if D600 users send the images in without doctoring out the oil, dust, and serial numbers because it is helpful to a manufacturer to have this kind of information to identify the root cause of an issue like this one. Of course it might be that they will release a bulletin about users with hair dandruff not changing their lenses until their hair issues are resolved for 2 weeks. Nevertheless, your suggestion is worth a shot.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited January 2013
    "Of course it might be that they will release a bulletin about users with hair dandruff not changing their lenses until their hair issues are resolved for 2 weeks. Nevertheless, your suggestion is worth a shot."

:))
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.