What one lens to carry for pleasure travel

2»

Comments

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    I have the 24-120 f4 vr and what I found for travel this last winter, I really would have liked to have the 28-300vr instead. .
    out of interest, have you done a direct comparison of these two lenses?

• donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    edited July 2014
    The Original Poster was asking for one lens to go on a D810 body. This means an FX lens. I just used the example of the DX 18-200 in my post because I wanted to take a light DX body on my last trip. There was no need for anything more since the goal was only facebook photos. For me "travel snaps" are best handled with lightweight equipment including a large range zoom lens so you can cover at least the range of wide angle to portrait. Often I use my 18-70mm DX lens or my 18-55 DX lens on my D5100 or D7000 body. The 18-55 on the D5100 body is my lightest combination for travel snaps. If I had taken my D600 body on that last trip I could have taken the FX counterpart to the DX 18-200 which is the FX 28-300. But there are others such as the FX 24-85 and the FX 24-120. I do not recommend using a DX lens on an FX body. Personally, I tend to shoot with a DX body and lens when I know the photo will not be printed: just no need for more camera/lens. I tend to use my D600 with the 24-85 or 28-300 for general use when I may print some images but not poster size. As long as those lens are stopped down a couple of stops they are sharp enough. I tend to use a collection of primes with my D800 to take better advantage of what that body can produce. When I know I may be wanting to print poster size I use my sharpest lenses on an FX body. But all this is just what I do: suits my needs. Others make other choices for their needs and desires. All rational choices are good. If I intend to produce Art which may be enlarged poster size I would use my sharpest lens on a D800 as PitchBlack does. But if I just want to capture snaps quickly from whatever position I happen to be at the time in order to remember a place or please my wife ["Oh, get a picture of that for my facebook page"] I use a lighter weight body and a zoom lens. So final use determines appropriate camera lens combination.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    Well OP has just gotten a D810. No need to suggest buying a new camera or using an older one. OP wants to use the new toy :-)

A lot of folks seems to worry that they will miss a shot if they haven't got everything from super wide to long tele covered. That is of course one strategy - be prepared for everything.

When I limit myself to one prime - say 35, 50, 85 or even 105 I get the same number of shots. My keeper rate is a little higher and my pictures are different. Different is not bad it is just different.

I think limiting yourself to a prime is more involving - more fun. But then I like to step out of my comfort zone :-)

Whatever you do enjoy your D810 :-)
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    edited July 2014
    Focus on getting the best shots you can get, not covering the focal lengths.
    This is good advice all the time; if you don't have the right lens on the camera at a given moment to get the shot you really want, don't sweat it - get the very best shot you can get with the lens you have to capture that moment. The instant of time may not wait for you to swap lenses (assuming you have the "right" lens with you in your bag.)

@ donaldejose - that headshot of your wife is terrific!

Post edited by dissent on
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
    dissent: Thanks for the comment about the headshot: just taken on the balcony of the hotel. now if I was trying to produce Art I would have moved her (or the camera) slightly to eliminate that telephone pole in the background. Stupid me! Looking just at the subject (zoom in and snap) without paying attention to the background. I could also clone it out in post processing. But, as I said these were just some snaps for her facebook page so I didn't bother with much detailed thought at the time.
    Just finished another quick weekend trip. This time I took my D600 with the 28-300 zoom. I rarely used 300mm and would have been fine with a 24-85 or 24-120 lens. When shooting with a D800 you have so much resolution that you can "zoom" by cropping, if needed.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Well said be an artist on your trip.

I took my 50mm only on my Honeymoon for several reasons and it was the best choice.

My road trip is coming up and im taking the siggy 35 for the group photos in close spaces (we will be in close spaces). The 85 for the zoo photos and the 5xmm for normal shots.

My go to lens would be the 70-200 but my trip involves two kids, cooler backpack, lots of walking so I'm going light with the primes.

My other choice would be the 24-70 but I know that I will take advantage of the 1.4-1.8 of the primes.

I will try to be artistic and hopefully be in some phots too
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    Depends on what one wants to come home with. Pleasure travel for me means come home with photos that remind me of the surroundings and environment that I was in. That means not a lot of close ups. Lots of environment, landscapes and people. My choice is a 35mm - Sigma f/1.4 Art to be exact. It's one lens that will capture your travels well, wide enough to grab shots in a hotel room, people in a car/bus/plane/trane, shops and resturaunts. Lots of light grabbing capability. No need to zoom and crap that reduces spontaniety.
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited August 2014
    I just got back from my road trip.
    I took the DF sigma 35 Nikon Fifty and Nikon 70-200 2.8 and SB-910 plus spare batteries and memory cards.
    The 70-200 was the best choice for the zoo.
    Overall the Fifty stayed mounted on the camera and everything else never saw light after that.
    If I was going to re-do this road trip again I would just take the DF and the Fifty with spare batteries and SD cards.
    I decided to shoot wide open to get some artistic shots. Even my wife got to play with the setup and the only time this failed was When I asked people to take photos of us. Everything was in focus except us.

The fifty was great while my duaghter and I fed the birds at the zoo. The 35 would have been great to include myself in the photos but the Fifty overall was the key one.
    Having the 24-70 that would have been perfect but carrying two kids, two backpacks and camera gear going with primes minus the telephoto was what I wanted all along.

I hope that helps
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
    edited August 2014
    Just came back from another quick trip visiting my aged parents (mom 90, dad 96) and relatives. Took my D600 with 24-85 kit lens shot at f5.6 and f8. The combination was adequate for the task at hand. When you shoot that kit lens at f8 it is quite sharp. I also took two SB-600s because they are light, two lightweight flash stands and 18 inch collapsible softboxes. Worked just fine.

Mom, Dad and Granddaughter wearing her grandma's wedding dress.

600_4803a
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • Witty_NicknameWitty_Nickname Posts: 193Member
    For me, if I'm travelling "light", it depends where I'm going.
    I cannot bring just one lens.

Always bring my 24-70mm f/2.8.
    Then it's between the 14-24mm f/2.8 or 70-300mm VR.

If out in a natural setting (mountains, forests and wildlife) I'd bring the 70-300mm.
    When visiting an urban area (buildings and skyscrapers), I'd grab the 14-24mm f/2.8.
  • BowsiderBowsider Posts: 10Member
    You have a D810 - please don't put a Tamron 28-300 on it ;) I am joking, you can do what you like - but my 2 cents: Sigma 50mm f1.4 DG Art (but it's about the same weight as a 28-300). If weight is an issue. Nikon 50mm f1.4G.
    Take a spare battery and some spare cards. No flash.
    If you are more of a wider shooter 24mm f1.4G or that nice 28mm f1.8 for something more reasonably priced.
    Have fun mate, Bow
    D810, 16-35mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8; (24, 35, 85) f1.4G; 105mm f2.8 macro. 135mm f2 DC, 28-300mm. SB700x2 and SB400. All Nikon. Sigma 50mm ART. Also have a Fuji X-T1 with 23mm f1.4 & 56mm f1.2.
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited August 2014
    I am with you guys, give me 1 body with a 24-70mm 2.8 and I am good to go for months in the field. This lens simply "gets er done"

Easy call for me regarding the topic question ;)
    Post edited by kanuck on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Agreed, you can do a lot with just the 24-70 F2.8G. Not sure I'd take it as my only lens on vacation, but then I like to use compression for a lot of my landscape shots and 70mm often doesn't cut it.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.