Tether D4 with Lr 4.3

DY8DY8 Posts: 13Member
edited January 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Can anyone confirm successful tethering of their D4 with Lightroom 4.3? I just tried and although Lr recognizes the camera the image files are all corrupted. A black exclamation remark appears on the top right of each image and Lr reports "Lightroom has encountered a problem reading this photo". When I review the image it is completely pixellated Lr reports "there was an error working with the photo".

Camera settings are Large Fine jpegs. Checking the files on my HD they appear to be normal so the files are transferring correctly...just not importing correctly into Lr. According to Adobe website the D4 is supported for tether.

A few sub-questions...is tethering only supported via USB and not ethernet? The only reason I wish I can tether with ethernet is because I have much longer cables.
Secondly, is there a way to store a copy of each image on the memory card as well as on the computer? I tried setting "backup to secondary card", but no deal.

Thanks!

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I take it the images are OK if not tethered?
    Always learning.
  • DY8DY8 Posts: 13Member
    Absolutely. It seems to be the import of the images via tether that is the problem.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    OK. Sorry then, I can't help you. Have you tried talking to Adobe to make sure there isn't a problem that they know of?
    Always learning.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    Will set my D4 later today and see if I run into any issue with LR 4.3. Stay tuned...
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited January 2013
    @DY8 Just got testing D4 /w LR 4.3 via USB and everything worked out just as it should. No problem taking picture via the application and have it import it directly into LR. Photo's taken via the camera shutter button work just as good.

LR, at this stage does not work via ethernet...which is sad. However, you can always, use Nikon's own version of ethernet tethering via the D4 and a browser. Are you familiar in how to setup the D4 to do this? If not let me know and I will give you the instructions in how this is done.

Cheers...
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    1. Tethered shooting with USB cable connection and your mentioned setup works great for me. I only work in RAW though, so I am not sure about jpeg. I would check the long cable connection first.
    2. I have not found out a way to leave a copy on one of the cards.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    How long is the usb cabel ?
  • DY8DY8 Posts: 13Member
    @Golf007sd Yes, I can very successfully tether using the D4's built-in server connected to my computer via ethernet, but it would be more convenient sometimes to shoot tethered to Lr.

@Benji2505 The USB cable I was testing with was 3 feet short.

I will definitely try again...maybe with a different usb cable now that I know it can be done.