Nikon D750 -- General Discussion

Comments

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited November 2014
    If I understand you right. the "thin dark shadow" is something in between the viewfinder screen and the mount opening which cannot be seen in the picture, therefore, it will not have any effect on the image when the mirror is up. it look to me like the clip that hold the viewfinder screen in place. I have changed viewfinders before and that is what I see if I look up at the screen.. you can try it yourself ( the looking not the changing :-) )
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited November 2014
    Early Friday afternoon UPS showed up with a big box containing the D750, a 24-70 F2.8G lens, new memory card, and a Vello glass Ultra LCD protector screen and of course, a bunch of freebies. It was cold outside, 30F, so I asked the driver how long the package has been exposed to cold air in the truck and warehouse for over 12 hours. Opened the outer box and set it all aside to warm up. Before I went to bed opened up the camera box and lens box and exacted the lens book for reading before I went to bed.

The next morning I opened up the boxes more and pulled out the D750 manual. Like the new compact shorter size. That night I started reading the manual. Decided to sell most of the free stuff and posted it on Craig's List and that night sold the Luminesque 77mm UV & Circular Polarizer.

Today, Sunday, did a full inspection of the lens and the D750 and put memory cards and battery in the camera. Took about 50 shots. Oh it's nice. :D :\"> I made my first pass through the menus tweaking settings for my style and the battery had gone from 17% to 6% so it was time to recharge the battery. Darn.

Just completed the registration at Nikon and SanDisk. Got lots of reading to do.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Yeah, the one area that the D750 sux in is battery life. My D7100 goes on and on forever on a battery but the D750 seems to finish it's battery in about a third of the time of the D7100.
    Always learning.
  • D750newbieD750newbie Posts: 20Member
    Has anyone shot with the aftermarket battery that BH sells with the body? Watson? I just shot with the d750 in RAW about 800 photos and the battery is low. Granted I forgot the camera on in the bag overnight one time :)
    Once they go to sleep, the battery usage is negligible so don't worry about that. I used a fair bit of live view for night shots so that would account for my perception. From what I've seen so far, I would happily settle for 800 shots.
    Always learning.
  • D750newbieD750newbie Posts: 20Member
    The good news is also that the battery recharge was very quick :)
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    Early Friday afternoon UPS....
    ... Sunday, did a full inspection of the lens and the D750 and put memory cards and battery in the camera. Took about 50 shots. Oh it's nice. :D :\">
    I can't fathom the patience you must have. I'm a patient guy, but Saturday morning I'd have a hundred shots on that puppy!
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
    I surprised my self with my patience. Not only was the outside box really cold but so was the inside boxes and lose packages. I did not want to pop that battery into the camera and turn it on thinking there maybe condensation in the camera and did not want to fire up a cold battery or a cold top panel or rear LCD. I was just being very conservative.

Some general comments about my new tool. Of course the deeper grip is outstanding but did not realize they changed the ergonomics of the left front of the camera (from the rear). It now has a flat section instead of an angle from the side. Much nicer and it's easier to hold. I learned to find that "Info" button on my D7100 and on the D750 it was moved up and slightly left. Not a big deal just different. Also noticed minor changes to the height of several buttons and the movement of the PV button from the body to up on the extension close to the lens mount like the function button. What a great move. When I gripped the D7100 my fingers were always hitting the button. Nice!

The shutter count is rolling up and I shot a 40 second movie and oh was it nice. Got to get to work and rework the large roller bag and small back pack to better accommodate two bodies.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    Hi Guys,
    I collected my shiny new D750 from the store on Friday evening and have noticed a couple of "odd" things..
    On Friday night, after charging the battery, I played around with it a little (setting it up and taking a few photos) then on Saturday I played a little more, took some more photos using live view/flash and used the WiFi App on a Tablet to take a couple more (altogether, probably about 100 photos)..

The battery was showing about 40% charge when I'd finished, so I charged it again..

On Sunday, I decided to play around with some indoor macro shooting, and was using both Live View and the internal flash as commander to trigger my external SB700 (in TTL mode!).. I took exactly 16 (that's just sixteen) photos and afterwards the battery was again showing something like 60% Charge remaining!!!!
    I know I was using Live View constantly and it's a bit of a battery hog, but when the specs say circa 1200 shots/charge, I'd expect to get way more than 16 shots for 40% of that charge!!!

How are any of you with D750's finding its battery life?

The second thing I've noticed is some strange behaviour with live view..
    When stopped down (I was shooting macro at f22), the live view screen is really dark (irrespective of whether I have the live view "exposure preview" feature set to on or off).. Now here's something I only just realised is that when using Live View, the camera closes the lens aperture to the set f-stop.. on my old Nikon DX DSLR's, I never noticed this fact, but what is really odd is that when I press the "aperture preview" button on the front of the camera, the lens aperture opens fully and the Live View screen really brightens up (as you'd expect it to with the aperture open) AE-L shows on the screen then until I either press the shutter button halfway (for example to attempt auto-focus) or I press the "aperture preview" button again, and then the lens immediately closes down the aperture and the screen goes dark..

Has anyone else noticed this? Is this behaviour normal on Nikon FX DSLR's?

Cheers,
    Baldy ;)

D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    I'm the last person qualified to answer this, but why let that stop me? ;-)

I think battery ratings are assuming x percent flash, x percent live view. I don't know those numbers, but they're low. Probably under 10% use. When you go into 100% live view and all your shots run the built-in flash, all bets are off in terms of number of shutter actuations.

It then becomes a question of how much time is the display on, at what brightness (?) and those aren't rated numbers. I don't know if your battery's performance is "over the line" and something is defective. It sounds close to the line to me. But one way to know would be to reset all the defaults. Go and shoot an afternoon all w/o live view. See if you can get to something like 500 shots with 50% battery remaining.

Check your manual carefully on live view previewing. I think I read somewhere that the D750 "fixed" Nikon aperture preview behavior and its defaults are different than other Nikon DSLR's. There is probably a setting to change the aperture to open during composition (but that would throw off exposure preview accuracy).
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    If you are using flash, all of your "exposure previews" will be too dark.
  • bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 104Member
    @KnockKnock:Thanks for your reply, I guess it was just too much Live View use coupled with the flash.. I've just taken over 300 test shots (without using flash and live view) and the battery's only dropped to around 85%

@Ironheart: Yes, I know the "preview" will be too dark, my question is about the unusual behaviour of Live View with the normal Aperture Preview button on the front of the camera and what the "Exp ON" and "Exp OFF" function for live view actually should do....

Cheers,
    Baldy ;)
    Baldy, RTFM dude. There are several settings that can combine to give different behavior, including auto brightness.

From page 62:

Exposure Preview
    Enable or disable exposure preview. If exposure preview is enabled, the effects of shutter speed, aperture, and ISO sensitivity on exposure can be previewed during live view photography.

When exposure preview is enabled, exposure can be adjusted by ±5 EV (pg 143), although only values between –3 and +3 EV are reflected in the preview display. Note that the preview may not accurately reflect the final results when flash lighting is used,Active D-Lighting (pg 175), High Dynamic Range (HDR; pg 177), or bracketing is in effect, A (auto) is selected for the Picture Control Contrast parameter (pg 168), or a value other than 0 is selected for Clarity (pg 168), or x200 is selected for shutter speed. If the subject is very bright or very dark, the exposure indicators will flash to warn that the preview may not accurately reflect exposure. Exposure preview is not available in special effect modes or when bulb or -- is selected for shutter speed.
    Also, if you look at page 356 in the manual, you will see that the preview function works differently in Live View than it does in the viewfinder:

During viewfinder photography, you can preview depth of field while the Fn button is pressed
    (pg 92). During live view photography, you can press the button once to open the lens to maximum aperture, making it easier to check focus; pressing the button again restores aperture to its original value (pg 56).

Also, the autofocus button is supposed to end the "focus preview":

Previewing Focus During Live View Photography (P, S, A, and M Modes Only)
    To temporarily select maximum aperture for an improved focus preview during live view photography, press the Pv button. To return aperture to its original value, press the button again or focus using autofocus. If the shutter-release button is pressed all the way down to take a picture during focus preview, aperture will return to the original value before the photo is taken.

It's probably worth reading the "Live View Photography" chapter rather than have me continue to quote it here.
  • bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 104Member
    @Ironheart: Thanks, for your help.. :) FYI: Having bought the camera here in Austria, it has obviously come with a German manual (which makes it not so easy for an Englishman to read!! I can speak and read German, but the technical language used in the manual is extremely difficult to understand ;) ).. Also, my internet was playing stupid over the weekend and I couldn't get the online English version from Nikon downloaded..I've now managed to get it downloaded, so I'll continue reading the manual now... ;)
    Cheers,
    Baldy ;)
    edited December 2014
    How are any of you with D750's finding its battery life?
    I have the D7100 that uses the same battery (EN-EL15) which that camera sips power out of. I do an entire wedding and still have half a battery left. The D750 by comparison GUZZLES battery power out of its EN-EL15. I am hoping for a firmware update that miraculously fixes this, as at the moment it is the worst Nikon I've ever owned for battery consumption.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • SquamishPhotoSquamishPhoto Posts: 608Member
    Do you have your screen set to display images after each shot? Turning that off gives back a lot of life. I think that the screen is a bigger hog than any previous Nikon screen.
    Mike
    D3 • D750 • 14-24mm f2.8 • 35mm f1.4A • PC-E 45mm f2.8 • 50mm f1.8G • AF-D 85mm f1.4 • ZF.2 100mm f2 • 200mm f2 VR2
    I always do have it review (on the D7100 and D750), but only for the minimum time. I hear what you say, and it is a good idea in the meantime but honest @SquamishPhoto, they need to sort it out - hopefully with a firmware update.
    Always learning.
    bald_eagle said: How are any of you with D750's finding its battery life?
    Up until now no issues...but I will have an answer for you on Sunday afternoon. Tonight I am shooting an elementary school Christmas program for the school, Saturday afternoon shooting my grand kids at their school Christmas program, and then Sunday morning in church...shooting the Children's Christmas performance. That should give me a good read on battery life.
    edited December 2014
    The other thing I am going to do is use my tablet via wi-fi rather than live-view to save the camera batteries as using the rear screen really seems to hammer the battery.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • calengorcalengor Posts: 277Member
    edited December 2014
    I would think using WiFi would use the battery up quickly as well
    Post edited by calengor on
    OK, well I just got notification of a D750 firmware update, but when I discussed it with Nikon, they confirmed battery life wasn't one of the corrected issues. I have experienced a couple of the issues corrected, but not all. I'll do it anyway, hopefully more will follow.

@calengor: I expect it will but I'll try it and see if it uses less than the screen anyway.
    Always learning.
    New firmware update are available as of today. Go here to get them:

Nikon D750 1.01 and D810 1.02 C firmware updates released
    BEWARE - a negative comment about the D750 follows: WTF were Nikon thinking to make the grip bigger by making the top LCD smaller? The camera has very muddled handling as a result. I have it paired to D7100 so same control layout, but very different things happen when the controls are used. IMHO that was a big mistake - I like the bigger grip (would happily exchange it for the better top LCD), but they should have just extended it forwards and left the top LCD the right size. :-/
    Always learning.