The Joys of dee Six Ten (D610 general Discussion)

2»

Comments

• puppycatpuppycat Posts: 13Member
    I am also considering the tamron 150-600. A guy at photography group had it. It was one of the first ones. It looks nice. Unfortunately its not nikon mount so I couldn't mount it to try. at 600 mm the view from the viewfinder sure jumps around abit. Even on a big tripod. I would ask in the other thread.
    Thanks. FWIW, I read Ken Rockwell's review (sometimes causes controversy I know :-) ) and although it was generally well received there were some nits that bothered me. a) Its all plastic housing means if you drop it it's likely to suffer damage, and b) there's a lot of air movement when zooming and contracting. The air goes in and out of the lens, and into the camera body.... seems like a big sensor/dust issue. But maybe that' how all the big zooms work?

Then I was hearing second-hand today from a fellow photog who spoke to a Sigma rep recently and thought they have a similar, perhaps better answer coming soon. might be worth a wait to see what happens.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited December 2014
    almost all long zooms suck air and from what I saw it does not look "plastic". The new sigma 150-600 is delayed due to some defect in the early batches. but there are 2 versions of the sigma.. a cheaper version that should compete directly with the tamron and and "sport" version that is higher end and cost twice as much as the tamron.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    almost all long zooms suck air and from what I saw it does not look "plastic". The new sigma 150-600 is delayed due to some defect in the early batches. but there are 2 versions of the sigma.. a cheaper version that should compete directly with the tamron and and "sport" version that is higher end and cost twice as much as the tamron.
    But only one of those lens is being sold at this time....all others were pulled back to the factory for a quality problem. So Tamron definitely owns the market right now.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited December 2014
    I was blown away after making the jump to full frame as well years ago. D40x >D80 > D300 > D700 > to my current D810. The current body sensors really are remarkable and anyone picking up a camera today for either enjoyment or work is certainly spoiled compared to 15 years ago thats for sure. $-)
    Post edited by kanuck on

But only one of those lens is being sold at this time....all others were pulled back to the factory for a quality problem. So Tamron definitely owns the market right now.
    I'm still wondering who might have tried this lens and can comment on how fast/slow and accurate it might be with the D610 focusing points. Any 610 thoughts?
    Our local camera dealer has browed the Tamron representatives 150-600 lens and I have seen enlargements up to 8x10 using the D810 and D700. I would not expect any issues with the D610. The only way to resolve your curiosity is to visit a local dealer and take the salesman to the front window or immediately outside the door and shoot some pictures with this combo. Take your own memory card to capture the images.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    The only way to resolve your curiosity is to visit a local dealer and take the salesman to the front window or immediately outside the door and shoot some pictures with this combo.
    Thanks. This may have to wait for another trip to B&H. Sadly I'm not sure there are any retailers left in central NC. I'll check though.
  • nitro4menitro4me Posts: 252Member
    @puppycat, look on the 12/22 PAD and look at my robin shot, it is made with the 610 tamron 150-600 combo. You can go to my flicker account and look at more shots with this combo.I have only had the tamron a short time so its been just backyard shooting. The only time i have had a focus issue was on a sunny day with white fur it wanted to hunt in matrix metering,just switched to spot and problem solved.Not sure if shooting through the double pane kitchen window might not helped.One other thing if you decide to buy one, get it from a local dealer if you have one. I ordered one from big online store on July first, Ordered from local Tamron dealer on December first and got it two weeks later. A.L
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited December 2014
    @nitro4me .. not sure what metering has to do with AF. Can you elaborate?
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• nitro4menitro4me Posts: 252Member
    @heartyfisher, I dont know either but when i changed it to spot metering it would lock focus. It was very bright day so the low contrast must of been why. It has been flawless otherwise, maybe one of the experts on here can tell us. A.L
    The only way to resolve your curiosity is to visit a local dealer and take the salesman to the front window or immediately outside the door and shoot some pictures with this combo.
    Thanks. This may have to wait for another trip to B&H. Sadly I'm not sure there are any retailers left in central NC. I'll check though.
    That is a touch situation in NC. Do some digging and you should find a small shop.