Whose reviews do trust ?

2»

Comments

• kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited September 2014
    I can't listen to Tony Northrup. I don't know why, something from him oozes condescending to me. I mean, if you really wanted to get a 200mm focal length, from Nikon, get the 200mm F2. Yeah it's not cheap, but if you make good photos, it would pay for itself.

And the Nikon 50mm 1.8 is vastly superior to the Canon 50mm 1.8. The autofocus issue is a non-issue. Anyone wanting a 50mm equivalent lens for crop sensors is going to get the 35mm DX anyway. All the FX bodies AF with AF-D lenses anyway. I'm not sure why he made it such a big deal.

I think he made such a big deal about it to justify why he would stay with Canon even though he admitted that the Nikon D810 is clearly the best body on the market for what he does. Essentially he tried to make a strong case for staying with Canon because the lenses made more sense for him to stay on board. What he says makes sense until you look into it more yourself and realize the inaccuracy of it.
    Post edited by kanuck on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited September 2014
    If I were him I would stay with Canon just bec of his specific use case for the 70-200 F2.8 canon. However, for most photographers and for most subjects and situations, Nikon really has a very very strong offering. For most people the Nikkor 70-200 would be at least equal to the Canon version. I got the 70-200 F4 and i am over the moon with it ! image
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    No reviewer I know of has my full confidence to buy blindly what he/she/they find worth to buy. But Roger from lensrentals and photozone.de are always helpful informations. If they come to mediocre conclusions, I never found the opposite to be true for myself. Kai is always worth a good laugh with his destruction attempts. Glad he survived all of them as some were a bit hairy. But I watch it for entertainement only. A lot of YouTubers do talk much and could use some rhetoric aid, so most of the time I switch off after a minute.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member

I think he made such a big deal about it to justify why he would stay with Canon even though he admitted that the Nikon D810 is clearly the best body on the market for what he does. Essentially he tried to make a strong case for staying with Canon because the lenses made more sense for him to stay on board. What he says makes sense until you look into it more yourself and realize the inaccuracy of it.
    Maybe he's trying to say his photo business isn't so great. That's why he can't afford a 200mm F2. :D

I looked at his other video on car photography and he also said that circular polarizers are an absolute no-no. There's no such thing as an absolute no-no, and they certainly can come in useful.

I've looked at other reviewers on Youtube- Digital Rev and That Nikon Guy/Matt Granger.

They're both for my entertainment only and not to be taken seriously. That Nikon Guy switched to Canon to grab views, and then he grabbed views again by selling his Canon 1Dx or something.

I watch Digital Rev just so that I can watch the background. I don't have time to go to HK so I just zone out on the background so I can get my HK fix without flying there. :D

Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    For entertainment value only you can't go wrong with kai from Digital Rev. I know a lot of people dislike him, but I find his clips hilarious especially with all these gear heads online who take things a little too seriously at times. His video on high speed bursts on his D4s had me in stitches when he was showing off the noise to other shooters around him. Speaking of entertainment there is always KR. I know he's been mentioned already above but...
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    What do you guys think about Scott Kelby?

I think he's a good photoshop instructor and good at promoting his own brand, but only so-so at gear recommendations and such.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    edited September 2014
    I have bought quite a few of his Lightroom and Adobe CS4 and CC books. Kelby is coming to Seoul next month for a walking tour and many people have already signed up for it. Two of my co-workers Jason Teale and Matthew Theron helped organized it this year with Scott :)

http://www.photographersinkorea.com/featured/scott-kelbys-7th-annual-worldwide-photowalk/
    Post edited by kanuck on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    What do you guys think about Scott Kelby?

I think he's a good photoshop instructor and good at promoting his own brand, but only so-so at gear recommendations and such.
    A little overhyped. I think he's a nice guy, but he's always been a brand advocate, first Nikon and now Canon. Like most of the brand advocates, saying bad things about the sponsoring brand doesn't go over well. In other words, take his reviews with a stronger grain of salt than the average review.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.