D4 multi-selection (vertical) button

PhotonePhotone Posts: 2Member
edited October 2014 in D3/D4/D5
The multi-selection (vertical) button of my D4 fell off. Nikon Canada asks $282.49 for the replacement of a $3 rubber button.

This is a two-year old Nikon's flag ship camera. If you pay (tax incl.) nearly $7000 for a camera you expect that it retains itself intact under all circumstances. The drop-off of this button seems to be a very common issue with this model. I understand that certain things may happen due to the owner's misuse or an accident. In that case there is no abuse or accident. This piece must not drop off even after years. I am not a photojournalist and don't use this camera under severe conditions, but it still did happen.

Replacing this small piece may cost to Nikon $3 + 10 minutes labor. On the other hand, it would cost an unhappy costumer, lots of word of mouth, and lose of reputation. I wouldn't argue if it were an abuse of use or an accident. In that case, I really expect that Nikon does fix the problem, at least for the reputation of Nikon Canada and for the contentment of a nearly 20-year loyal Nikon customer. But they don't seem to do that at all. So annoying...

Is there any non-casual Nikon complaints service of Nikon?

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Wow, did not expect that response on a D4...or for that matter any Nikon DSLR.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    I have put my body through some hard work...never had an issue.

Personally, I would have no problem spending $280 to fix anything on my D4 by Nikon. Nikon Repair Center have always addressed my needs. I look forward when I get my stuff pickup my stuff from them; knowing full well my gear will be as good as new.

FYI. when you do send in your camera to Nikon, they will do a full inspection of your body and address any issue that needs to be fixed. They also clean the sensor before it is sent out.

D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited October 2014
    Do you still have the button? Usually you can just press it back in... Otherwise take it to the dealer you purchased it from, they may have some spare parts.
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • PhotonePhotone Posts: 2Member
    I don't know... maybe, it's the guys at Nikon Canada, but they are so not conducive to solve the issue. I asked the replacement part. They don't sell "only button"; and ask $76 + tax for the rear switch FPC unit (Part#1H998-410-1), in case I want to fix it on my own.

Anybody know where to get this small rubber button?
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I guess you could make your own button with black Sugru? No one would really notice it anyway.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Personally, I would have no problem spending $280 to fix anything on my D4 by Nikon.
    Seriously? You can buy a new D3300 for $546 on Amazon. Two buttons cost more than a new camera. You can buy a brand new D3100 on Amazon for LESS than that.
    Or buy a used/broken D4 off eBay and pry the button off :-)
    I still think your best bet is your dealer. They probably have a broken D4 they can steal parts from. The proverbial "hanger queen".
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I think the button on mine fell off, got caught on my strap or something, and I simply pressed it back on. Has not fallen off again.

It is very frustrating when these expensive things fall apart, but, this is true in many other areas in modern times. On the other hand, if the rubber part of the button were attached so firmly it broke the actual switch underneath, this might be worse.
    Msmoto, mod