17-55 f2.8 vs 18-55 f3.5-5.6 VR Kit Lens. Yes.. really.

2»

Comments

• tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    @sprayandpray...lol. I know it shouldn't matter. There were too many kit lens cameras hanging out in the last couple of places I have been though...I needed my massive heavy F2.8 lens to show off B-)

I didn't really care that much. Just felt silly when I had $4000 of lenses in my bag and I was using one that now costs under $100. Since I purchased my 105 F2.8 I have become accustomed to the pro feel of lenses...there seems to be no going back.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • gnoshmegnoshme Posts: 14Member
    Hi All,

Such great input. For the record, I change gear as often as I change underwear. Since starting this thread last week I've upgraded from the D7000 to the D7100. I used the 17-55 intensively for 3 days and saw that outside of the test shots I was doing to compare I found a big difference. The biggest place I found the difference was where the bokeh / focus contrast created a stellar impression of sharpness.

But I sold it ;) A month ago I decided to take my camera EVERYWHERE for one week, and I was doing pretty well.. but when the 17-55 was on it, the ideal of lugging it around made me LESS likely to take it. I'm looking out for a decent deal on a used Sigma 17-50 (it seems better than the Tamron) and we'll see how that goes.

I just went on a road trip over the weekend and now limited with the kit lens for when I wanted wide angle, I still think it's got great sharpness, and it's convenient but yes, it's biggest downfall is the inability to get a shallow depth of field.

I think I"ll go with the Sigma and see how that goes. I'd love a little wider than 17, but at the same time I do enjoy the 17-55 range and if I'm heading out with body + 1 lens then that's the one for me.

Thanks all for the great debate.

Anyone use that Sigma?

K
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    FWIW the requirements of 'light and small' don't usually equal 'rugged and high IQ'. Take that to extremes and you have D810 Vs point'n'shoot. You pays your money....
    Always learning.