To copy a Photogs style to get paid or not too - that is the question.

13»

Comments

• WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    Now that talk has gone on for over a page - how about we clean up the thread and begin a 200mm F2 thread?
    I find it fascinating how on this forum, "style" always quickly turns into "I need to buy things" (mostly from the "the more expensive, the better" category), but it's rarely about actually learning about styles and how to achieve them – no matter if you have the hot 180mm f/1.8 VRIII nanocrystal lens.

Maybe 'fascinating' is not the right word, though.
    I agree. That is why I like Spraynpray's signature line.

I certainly want the 200mm (and the 400!) and the photographer’s use of it and the beautiful results that she has achieved have got me thinking about it again. However, I know that I can produce pretty much the same effect with my 135 (and maybe even with my 85) if I accept that it will not always be a perfect copy. It is the photographer’s style and use of light that produced the achieved results and I appreciate that my efforts need to go into that learning.

Sometimes that truth gets lost in the desire for more gear, which is understandable, but something to be thinking about when contemplating more gear. One should ask themselves, “Maybe some photography courses would produce better results.” I am recently enrolled in a photography program and expect any improvement that is noticeable on this forum to come from the program and other opportunities to learn. Along the way, will I purchase more gear? Most definitely! But I am not going to give the gear much credit for any accolades that I receive.
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    edited October 2014
    TTJ could you post the website of this person you have been saying has a unique style? I would like to see the photos.
    this
    ... or if you chose not to post the site could you post one of your photos that closely resembles the style of this individual so that we could see what the big whoop is? This is like discussing what it's like to actually land on the moon when nobody here actually has. It's either a shooting style or post processing style. @WestEndBoy you could probably get pretty close to any look you desire with your arsenal.

Post edited by Rx4Photo on
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    @lisa photos=WOW. I like that.
    @ttj post some photos so we can get a better idea.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    Do you guys remember the wedding party picture with the Dinosaur in the background chasing them?
    When I saw it I always said that I will not re-create that.

However I was recently tagged by the client saying that it would be awesome to re-create that. Since the client made it public I'm on the spot to meet their expectations without plagiarizing it.

I have a few ideas in mind without looking too similar or adding the Giant marshmallow man in post.
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    It should not be too hard to have a similar shot with a dinosaur without copying the other version.

But really? The couple wants a dinosaur picture? Oh well, that's clients for ya. #-o
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.