Best Buy Replaced My D7100 and it's Faster?

2»

Comments

• rbrylawskirbrylawski Posts: 222Member
    I just want to be sure mine is as good as yours while it's under warranty! :D
    OK.....I had a chance to check and this camera is certainly faster. Using NEF/RAW 14 bit, it shot 5 pictures in rapid succession, then started to slow a bit, but kept shooting to the 10 maximum I had programmed before it stopped shooting.

I can say that in my original D7100 it slowed much faster. Now truth be told, I rarely if ever use burst mode. I'm not an action photographer, but it is nice to confirm this camera is definitely faster than my first one.

Did you use the same sort of SD cards when you shot the old camera and the new one?

I would expect Nikon would have announced any sort of subtle upgrade if they had done any internal changes to the D7100.

Well, as long as you're happy, I guess that's the most important part.
    Yes, not only the same sort, but the same cards. I took them out of the original D7100 and kept them safe while it was sent in for service.

It's not really likely Nikon did anything different to my new camera. It's more likely my original camera was flawed from the beginning. I just didn't notice it until of course I really needed full functionality while on vacation.
    Nikon D7100; AF-S DX 35mm f1.8; AF-S DX Macro 40mm f2.8; AF-S DX 18-200mm VRII; SB-700 Speed Light and a bunch of other not very noteworthy stuff......
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    Companies often change internal components to keep up with availability and price changes in their source suppliers. As long as they are interface compatible they are rarely announced even if performance changes, it would confuse the user base to announce something that most will not notice, and might stimulate upgrade demands from others.

If behavior or user interaction change it will then be a new model.

We do the same in software, we will often clean up code that does not cause behavior changes, and was not causing problems, and slip it into a release or update to take advantage of the (hopefully) rigorous testing.

If behavior or user interaction change, then it will be documented in release notes.

... H

D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

Thanks
    Nikon D7100; AF-S DX 35mm f1.8; AF-S DX Macro 40mm f2.8; AF-S DX 18-200mm VRII; SB-700 Speed Light and a bunch of other not very noteworthy stuff......
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    Trying to be helpful so here are some things that are likely of interest folks in this thread.

I posted this a while back regarding the buffer:
    http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/2640/best-sd-card/p1

Also some useful discussion about options to tweak for the buffer:
    http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/940/d7100-how-to-maximize-the-raw-shooting-buffer-here-is-what-i-see-how-about-you/p1
    Thanks for the Links!
  • bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 104Member
    Manhattanboy: Where did the table in the first link you posted come from? Did the creator of it say how many shots showed available in the buffer? (as we know, some camera settings drastically affect the number of shots the buffer can hold)
    Cheers,
    Baldy ;)