New 24-120mm f4 Lens Discussion (cont'd)

13»

Comments

• TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
    I was also unimpressed with the new f/4 version of the 24-120mm until after I calibrated the lens on my cameras. I use it when carrying one camera, and have taken a lot of excellent images with it since it was calibrated; the VR works well enough for me to feel like I am shooting at f/2.8 aperture at low focal lengths, and f/2 at 120mm.

The VR does more, but then I start seeing blur from people moving which is why I do not think a 24-70mm f/2.8 with VR adds enough value to pay for itself.

@haroldp, and the others who mentioned calibration is a "must do" with the 24-120mm echo my experience with it.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I had a new 24-120 with my new 810 did the back focus of course but as I have found on many occasions with a new lens the back focus changed during those first 500 shots at a wedding and I was not pleased with the results.. So sorry to repeat but check your fine focus after a few hundred shots. Same thing happend with the 28-300 that replaced it moved from +5 to +15.....oh what fun
  • tektradertektrader Posts: 58Member
    There is so much FUD about this lens its unbelievable. My copy is very good. In fact so good I sold my 24-70G....
    I did not find the 120mm end long enough for say close ups of rings going up brides finders at about 15 ft. Its sad nikon wont make us a 24-200mm which would be a dream
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    I find the 16mp DX crop (on a D810) with 24-120 at 120/5.6 to be more than good enough for such a close up. I always get that shot, and have never had anyone order a large print. I get loser than 15 ft. for it.

... H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

you dont work with Warwickshire registrars . ever been to a service where they have a line on the floor and if you step over it they stop the service and you are out ?

PS ( I dont see the point of a DX crop mode on FX you might as well crop in PP)
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    @Pistnbroke

I have not recently had to deal with such restrictions, and would certainly want a longer lens if I did.

When I refer to a DX crop, it is almost always in PP, particularly at events, where I might have to quickly move from a close up to a group. That is why I like the 24-120 on a high res body.

When shooting wildlife where based on distance, I know I will use a DX crop or smaller for a series of shots, I will sometimes switch modes (I have dedicated a function switch for this) to increase the frame rate and reduce PP load. If the bears start getting closer, I am moving back.

One exception is birding since my most successful AF mode is single center point continuous, where I often end up with a DX size (or smaller) crop, but usually not centered, so I will shoot FF and crop in PP.

... H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• jonnyapplejonnyapple Posts: 131Moderator
    I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their thoughts. I’m using a D600 these days and got this lens to use as my hiking buddy. I’ve been taking two cameras, but the crop sensor had the wide (DX) lens on it and the full frame had the telephoto. [insert lengthy discussion with my wife about how that was backward] I’m hoping this will be good enough to take one lens and one camera.

I haven’t been taking as many photos as I did in the past, but I do miss this forum.
    CC is welcome. DC is also welcome when I deserve it.
  • HikerHiker Posts: 197Member
    Easily solved...buy the Sigma 24-105 f4.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Slight question about AF fine tune- does

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their thoughts. I’m using a D600 these days and got this lens to use as my hiking buddy. I’ve been taking two cameras, but the crop sensor had the wide (DX) lens on it and the full frame had the telephoto. [insert lengthy discussion with my wife about how that was backward] I’m hoping this will be good enough to take one lens and one camera.

I haven’t been taking as many photos as I did in the past, but I do miss this forum.

I don't own any FX bodies or the 24-120 F4, I'm just happy to see some old original members around haha.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S