What are you giving/getting for Christmas. If the sharpness fairy visits, what would you really like

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited December 2014
    I sent Santa a letter asking for the 800mm f/5.6 Nikkor....but, I may have made an error in the address...... O:-)
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    @Msmoto - thank you for the great Christmas gift. :\"> =D> When you come to Wisconsin next year I'll let you borrow it. LoL. You know I would have been satisfied with the 500mm or 600mm lens. :D
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    After serious internet reading, studying and speaking to various photographers, I have treated myself to a
    Zeiss 55 1.4 Otus Lens with Manual focus. Only time will tell if this was the right decision.
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hell all,

@sevencrossing - First, congratulations! I'm sure from this bunch someone will be able to hook you up with a wedding photographer, many of us will even be glad to volunteer, if the timing works out - of course, for some of us, that would be terribly difficult, as a lot of swimming would be involved.

@jjb930 - The tripod looks great. I have a Fiesol traveler carbon fiber and really like it. As our good friend @DaveyJ said in another thread that good tripods are heavy as to make the exposure more stead and sure, I tend to prefer a lighter tripod so I can can haul it further. I'm older and I just not that steady, at least not enough. The tripod is simply necessary for me.

For all, may all your good dreams come true and my best,

Mike
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    Yes I was wondering why an 800mm F5.6 was waiting for me on my doorstop after work today. So now I know why. Thank you very much Msmoto, and a Merry Christmas to you too :D ;)
  • theothercannontheothercannon Posts: 4Member
    I like to stick to Nikon gear, but my first 3rd party experience recently was the Sigma 50mm Art, and it wasn't a bad decision. If a Sigma 24-70 Art was available, I would want that for christmas :-)
    I use: Nikon D800E ––– Nikkor 16-35mm f/4 ––– Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 ––– Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G ––– Sigma 50mm f/1.4 ART ––– NIkkor 105mm f/2.8G VR
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    That movie, in my opinion is underrated and does not get the air time it deserves. It is a touching move despite Rock Hudson (in the 1954 version).

Just a tiny nit to pick because I am that annoying and pompous: The movie is Magnificent Obsession. There is no article in the title. (yeah, I don't have too many friends) :P

Which version do you like better? The 1935 or 1954?

I found the supporting actors in the 1954 version much more enjoyable and believable.
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
  • bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 104Member
    ThomasHorton Said:

That movie, in my opinion is underrated and does not get the air time it deserves. It is a touching movie despite Rock Hudson (in the 1954 version).

Just a tiny nit to pick because I am that annoying and pompous: The movie is Magnificent Obsession. There is no article in the title. (yeah, I don't have too many friends) :P

Which version do you like better? The 1935 or 1954?

I found the supporting actors in the 1954 version much more enjoyable and believable.
    @ThomasHorton Yeah, after posting about it I went looking for the DVD and realised the title had no article in it... And yes, both versions are extremely moving (despite Rock Hudson in the 1954 version).. I actually like both versions.
    I think I saw the 1935 version first so it if I had to pick a favourite from them I'd probably pick that one, although sadly I can only find the 1954 version currently available on DVD here in Europe :( (I believe one distributor in the US packaged the 1935 version as a sort of special feature with it's DVD of the 1954 version.. but it's no longer available anywhere) ;)

Cheers,
    Baldy ;)

• nitro4menitro4me Posts: 252Member
    The sharpness fairy dropped off my tamron 150-600 yesterday. I am not going to show my girlfriend sevencrossing"s post, it might give her some ideas. ;)
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    edited December 2014
    I didn't see that the thread title was giving or getting.

I am getting my mother a Motorola Moto G 2nd gen phone for her. It's kind of significant as this is the first time I've ever bought anything for her from a paycheck I've earned. Her older phone is very old (it runs Android Gingerbread), so it's a worthy upgrade.

Obviously I'm still highly dependent on her to get me through school, but at least it's a start.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I got my iPhone 6 Plus early.....Santa decided this would be about like the 800mm f/5.6 if I really tried hard..... :))
    Msmoto, mod
  • ElvisheferElvishefer Posts: 329Member
    I think you'll like the camera Msmoto.. my gf's iPhone 6 pretty much killed for me once and for all the need for a point and shoot camera category. In my humble opinion, of course.
    D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 200mm f/4 Micro, 105mm f/2.8 VRII Micro, 35mm f/1.8, 2xSB900, 1xSB910, R1C1, RRS Support...

... And no time to use them.
    I think you'll like the camera Msmoto.. my gf's iPhone 6 pretty much killed for me once and for all the need for a point and shoot camera category. In my humble opinion, of course.
    The iPhone 6 might have a great camera, but I hate the ecosystem of iTunes and such. I also hate digital zoom, so point and shoots are still useful to me.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    It's official, more photo gear under the tree. I sold my 17-55mm F2.8 and have left over money for RRS stuff and a few other accessories. Wish I could say Santa was sending the Sharpness Fairy but that has to wait until next year.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    As I got my XMas gift (D810) early I think I can't ask for anything more. However, should anyone listen, I am sure the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200mm f/2G ED VR II Telephoto Lens would fit nicely in my arsenal...

The pictures I have seen taken with that lens are nothing short of phenomenal, and with my new-found interest in portraits it would come to good use.
    Despite my protests, it appears that my wife has purchased "something" for my photography. I told her that I did not need anything and hinted that she really needs to talk to me as I do have specific opinions concerning photography equipment.

But she is way into the "surprising" thing. I am a good actor and I never forget that it is the intent behind the gift that matters. But I am wondering what she (a non-photographer) got me. X_X
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    ...A Canon... =))
    Always learning.
  • calengorcalengor Posts: 277Member
    Despite my protests, it appears that my wife has purchased "something" for my photography. I told her that I did not need anything and hinted that she really needs to talk to me as I do have specific opinions concerning photography equipment.

But she is way into the "surprising" thing. I am a good actor and I never forget that it is the intent behind the gift that matters. But I am wondering what she (a non-photographer) got me. X_X
    This reminds me of the time the girlfriend's dad almost bought me a scope for one of my rifles. It would have been a very well intentioned gift, but it would have been a cheap Chinese knockoff based on their budget and not something I would have used. Thankfully they decided to just give me a gift card.

This reminds me of the time the girlfriend's dad almost bought me a scope for one of my rifles. It would have been a very well intentioned gift, but it would have been a cheap Chinese knockoff based on their budget and not something I would have used. Thankfully they decided to just give me a gift card.
    Very tricky situation narrowly avoided! @-)
    Always learning.

Or worse, it could be a Sigma DSLR. :D

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @ThomasHorton: I have a feeling she had some help in picking something out. Enjoy it...if it turns out to be something you will use...otherwise you know what needs to happen. :P
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • Dominique_RDominique_R Posts: 27Member
    Santa brought me (a bit early this year) a D810, a 24/1.4, a Sigma 50/1.4 Art and a Zeiss 15/2.8. My stocking is full! :-*
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited December 2014
    @Dominique_R: those are great X-Mas gifts.

Despite the many goodies I purchased this year. I just added the TC 1.4E III, as well as, another RRS ballhead to be used with my mini-me RRS tripod.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    @ThomasHorton: I have a feeling she had some help in picking something out. Enjoy it...if it turns out to be something you will use...otherwise you know what needs to happen. :P
    She bought me a photo-vest. A nice one and one that was pretty expensive. I did not have the heart to tell her that I already had a nice expensive photo-vest that I never use. She meant well and that's what is important. Gifts need to be accepted on the intent and not the content.

(but I do wish she had talked to me) :)
    Got the bill? ;)
    Always learning.