Operating Nikkor 80-400mm 4.5-5.6

zannyrozannyro Posts: 1Member
edited January 2013 in General Discussions
I am only able to use this lens set at f/32...if I change it I get “fee”......what am I doing wrong?
Tagged:

Comments

• shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    Can you slide/set the tab on the Aperture ring to a lower number than 32?
  • ZSChowZSChow Posts: 72Member
    edited January 2013
    The good-ole "On AF cameras, lock the aperture ring of the lens to the smallest aperture". Just lock the aperture ring to f/32, and change the aperture using the command dials on the camera.
    Post edited by ZSChow on
    Don't try, don't know, so I keep trying.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @ ZSChow

Yup, that is how mine works.
    Msmoto, mod
  • ZSChowZSChow Posts: 72Member
    Indeed, and all AF, AF-D, and AF-S lenses with aperture rings will not work if locked to the smallest aperture on modern cameras.
    Don't try, don't know, so I keep trying.
  • earthseaearthsea Posts: 11Member
    edited January 2013
    I was going to buy one of these lenses just recently and the salesman advised me against doing so, he heard a 'rumour' that Nikon are planning on releasing an updated model later this year. True?
    Post edited by earthsea on
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited January 2013
    I was going to buy one of these lenses just recently and the salesman advised me against doing so, he heard a 'rumour' that Nikon are planning on releasing an updated model later this year. True?
    Lol that has been going around for at least 5 years. Maybe this year.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    I joined this forum in October 2010 to see if I could get intel on the rumored update to the 80-400. Still waiting on that one.
  • earthseaearthsea Posts: 11Member
    Mmmm! The new Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 is starting to sound very tempting.
  • GodlessGodless Posts: 113Member
    The new Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 is starting to sound very tempting.
    The previous OS version was really good. I am getting the new S version and the USB dock, unless Nikon reveals a new 100-400mm G, 400mm f/5.6G or 300mm f/4G in the coming months before summer.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I have used my 80-400 with excellent results. Those who think this is not a sharp lens may have obtained a poor copy. I always try to shoot at f/8 or 11. It is probably not a low light lens nor can it accept teleconverters.
    Msmoto, mod
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    If a lens isn't sharp at F8-10, then it has issues. Example, the 28mm F2.8 D, still soft at F8...
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.