Popular Photography Chooses the Nikon D750 as Camera of the Year

2»

Comments

• rbrylawskirbrylawski Posts: 222Member
    It can't. The D7100 was introduced in 2013.
    Nikon D7100; AF-S DX 35mm f1.8; AF-S DX Macro 40mm f2.8; AF-S DX 18-200mm VRII; SB-700 Speed Light and a bunch of other not very noteworthy stuff......
    edited November 2014
    I believe Popular Photography says so. They only award the winner to the camera they found most innovative introduced in the year the award is awarded.
    Post edited by rbrylawski on
    Nikon D7100; AF-S DX 35mm f1.8; AF-S DX Macro 40mm f2.8; AF-S DX 18-200mm VRII; SB-700 Speed Light and a bunch of other not very noteworthy stuff......
    Um, OK. For you it may be the camera of the century and that's wonderful. I say if this leads people to check out Nikon and ultimately buy one for themselves, whether it be a D3300 or D4S, it ultimately benefits the rest of us Nikon owners, regardless of which camera we think is the bestest of the best.
    Anytime someone hands over money to purchase a Nikon camera it benefits us. If people stopped forking over money to buy Nikon products, they'd go out of business.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    edited November 2014
    I agree with PitchBlack, the D810 really is the "Camera of the Year." Even though it is "minor" iteration, those minor improvements are very significant. The D750 really is "The Best Changed Body Style DSLR of the Year." Its "bestness" is not in IQ but rather in innovative features such as a thinner lighter body and flip out LCD screen.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it is wrong. :))
    Occasionally a decent image ...
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited December 2014
    I agree with PitchBlack, the D810 really is the "Camera of the Year." Even though it is "minor" iteration, those minor improvements are very significant. The D750 really is "The Best Changed Body Style DSLR of the Year." Its "bestness" is not in IQ but rather in innovative features such as a thinner lighter body and flip out LCD screen.
    It reads like you have not used a D750 Donald. Try one and then say it's only it's 'lighter thinner body and flip out LCD screen that are it's 'bestness'' It is a more rounded camera than the D810 (of course IMHO) when ALL aspects are considered.

Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    Should we start a NRF Camera of Year thread
    Oh, great - another opinion thread. Should go 200 pages of cobblers with that one... 8-|
    Always learning.
  • GjesdalGjesdal Posts: 277Member
    I think it is awesome that Nikon is selling quite a few D750, but the D810 is still what I want to buy in 2015.
    I just hope wife doesn't see the price of D750 and ask me why I can't get that camera as it currently sells here in Norway for 1/3 less of the price for D810...
    D810 | D7100 | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art |Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 G AF-S VRII ED | Nikon 105mm F2.8 AF-S IF-ED VR II Micro | Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM | Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Coolpix P6000 IR converted | http://gjesdal.org
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    I have not used a D750 or D810. Still using a D600 and D800. They are just so adequate for what I do that I cannot justify upgrades yet but I keep looking for "extra money" to make the switch.

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited December 2014
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it is wrong. :))
    Of course when it comes to cameras there is no "right" or "wrong". Yes, there is only, the best camera for a given users needs and budget. Period. There is no such thing as a "best" camera, once you get beyond the tech specs. Are there cameras that allow the user to operate them more easily, and with fewer limits? Absolutely. But right or wrong? I don't think so anyway.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • SquamishPhotoSquamishPhoto Posts: 608Member
    edited December 2014
    Which rather goes to my point of "____ of the year" awards being meaningless. It implies that it's the best, but it's not. It's not even as good as a two year old model that can be had refurbished for less money than the D750.
    I think you're biasing this with your own rather specialized perspective a bit too much. A successful camera wins these types of pointless prizes, not usually the best camera. And the AF on the D800 is a joke compared to the D750, so you might think you're offering sound advice but I would differ. I can take way more accurate photos much faster and way more reliable with the D750. That advantage is a hell of a lot more valuable than 12 more megapixels for most.
    Post edited by SquamishPhoto on
    Mike
    D3 • D750 • 14-24mm f2.8 • 35mm f1.4A • PC-E 45mm f2.8 • 50mm f1.8G • AF-D 85mm f1.4 • ZF.2 100mm f2 • 200mm f2 VR2
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Camera popularity contests are pretty much the same as who is voted most p[popular in a high school. Often they grow up to be far less successful than someone in the background....
    Msmoto, mod
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    We are all on the same page. Like Pitchblack, I would prefer a D800 to a D750 for me personally. However, that may be an extravagance for some that would think that the D750 has a better balance between features and price.
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

... 'all kinds of things go into the making of "of the year" awards, and many of them have nothing to do with how good the product is ' ...

Of course, one would think, goodness counts for something. ;-)

My sincere best to all,

Mike
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited December 2014
    Hi all,

... 'all kinds of things go into the making of "of the year" awards, and many of them have nothing to do with how good the product is ' ...
    So what do people think of wildlife photographer of the year
    http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/wpy/
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    edited December 2014
    I, PitchBlack, proclaim the D810 Camera of the Year! Applause!
    Seconded, LOL.
    Post edited by manhattanboy on
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    Any [product] of the [time period] is simply someone's opinion. Nothing more, nothing less. It is completely unreasonable to expect anyone's opinion of x of the y to agree with everyone elses' opinion.
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.