DSLR manufacturer's loosing money to cell phone camera's. point and shoots, are they over priced?

2»

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    Eventually FX will be less than $500. Phones will never be able to compete with that and a decent pair of lenses. Not that they can compete with CX and a decent pair of lens, but compared to FX, the difference is obvious even to the nearly blind.
  • michael66michael66 Posts: 231Member
    In the long run cell phone cameras probably will take a chunk out of the sales of higher end cameras.

This is a crop off the edge of a file I got from my camera phone. There's so much noise, even in good light. But it does look sort of pleasing to my eye...
    That is a very well composed image. A testament to you, the photographer. However, for me, that image is crap. A testament to the tool.

I have never taken or seen a decent image that was captured with a camera phone that could be enlarged to more than a 5x7. I am not talking art, here, just a picture, like what you might casually take on a trip. The same can NOT be said for compact cameras. My old ( 10+ years ) 3.1MP Kodak camera still takes better pictures than the best I've seen coming out of an iPhone. That is, I think, a testament to the lens.

• michael66michael66 Posts: 231Member
    edited December 2014

These are not too bad for the iPhone 6plus:
    http://austinmann.com/trek/iphone-6-plus-camera-review-iceland
    I was finally able to take a look. No, they aren't bad for a camera phone, they have a good composition and the credit for that goes to the photographer. But they are not, in my opinion, as good as the pictures my mother used to take with her Kodak Brownie. I still stand by what I said to NSXTypeR. He took a great shot, but the tool is still lacking.
    Post edited by michael66 on
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    In the long run cell phone cameras probably will take a chunk out of the sales of higher end cameras.

This is a crop off the edge of a file I got from my camera phone. There's so much noise, even in good light. But it does look sort of pleasing to my eye...
    That is a very well composed image. A testament to you, the photographer. However, for me, that image is crap. A testament to the tool.

I have never taken or seen a decent image that was captured with a camera phone that could be enlarged to more than a 5x7. I am not talking art, here, just a picture, like what you might casually take on a trip. The same can NOT be said for compact cameras. My old ( 10+ years ) 3.1MP Kodak camera still takes better pictures than the best I've seen coming out of an iPhone. That is, I think, a testament to the lens.

Thanks for your comment! Absolutely that photo quality is garbage, I wouldn't expect anything else. My 2003 compact camera does better than that in image quality. But I'd rather have been able to take the shot than not at all.

And honestly, the smearing is kind of cool, in a hipster/oil painting kind of way.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S