SB-910 Ring Flash

2»

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,744Member
    Thanks for the feedback Heartyfisher. Good observation on the nose. I am set up at home to do that shot. At some point I will take another stab at it with my SB-910s. Sadly, my D800 is now in the shop and I don't expect it back for over a month due to it being Christmas.

Regarding your fill flash with diffuser, it seems to me that there would be some shadow effects that I don't see, even if the diffuser was massive. You should also note that the ring light is a Dan Winters trademark.
    Anyone have any ideas on a ring flash that will work with my Pocketwizard setup? It might be an adapter for my SB-910 or a specialized flash that can be triggered with the Pocketwizards.
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    edited December 2014
    Anyone have any ideas on a ring flash that will work with my Pocketwizard setup? It might be an adapter for my SB-910 or a specialized flash that can be triggered with the Pocketwizards.
    visit this Link

or click here for direct Image
    Post edited by Vipmediastar_JZ on
    That is not a bad idea actually. For the price of an SB-910 and another Pocketwizard, I get a ring light.

Oh wait! I will need two more sets (or more) for off camera flash.

Hmmmm......
  • It is a hard shadow. Perhaps it was the strobe with a snoot. Hmmm......or just a strobe.
    Too much area covered for a snoot. I'd guess it's a simple standard reflector, done. Or, if you want it more complicated, maybe something like the Elinchrom deep octa without diffusors. But I think that's already too much.
    I dont think its a ring light though. Looks to me like a fill flash with diffuser slightly to the top left of camera probably a umbrella.
    I'd say there's a crosslight-style fill from left behind subject, check his face. +1 on the fill, could well be achieved with other lights than ring flash, as I said before.

Ring flash is nice, but if you're only using it as a fill, there's cheaper substitutes at almost no visible difference.

Do you guys know www.guessthelighting.com ? Sounds like you shouldn't check it out unless you're aware of the time you'll spend there... ;-)
    That is a very cool website FlowtographyBerlin.
  • SquamishPhotoSquamishPhoto Posts: 608Member
    edited December 2014
    Go DIY and make it out of ply and CF or incandescent bulbs.

He does amazing work with just a couple of these DIY gems.

His flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/thephotofiend/with/15438717001/

Plenty of tutorials out there, but really its pretty easy to cut ply and wire a few lights without much experience.
    Post edited by SquamishPhoto on
    Mike
    D3 • D750 • 14-24mm f2.8 • 35mm f1.4A • PC-E 45mm f2.8 • 50mm f1.8G • AF-D 85mm f1.4 • ZF.2 100mm f2 • 200mm f2 VR2
    I like that very much. Looks like I was unaware of the differences of the ring light vs ring flash. I like the ring light more. I seem another tutorial like the image above but that is one is bigger.
    If I want the catch lights and I do I would build my ring light.
    To me the light that it produces is very pleasing.
    edited December 2014
    Delete me
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    edited December 2014
    Personally, I've been tempted to build a DIY fluorescent lighting system similar to the Kino Flo lights tauted by Peter Hurley. Everything can be bought from a Home Depot type store for around $200. Primarily for a studio look for head shots and very interesting catchlight capability. I just gotta get off my bum and do it.
    Post edited by Rx4Photo on
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• @Vipmediastar_JZ and @Rx4Photo: Do make sure you actually try a ring light first before you invest any efforts (or money) in it. There's a reason why for studio photography you use flashes and not hot lights. Even if you pump up the brightness to a level where your model just squints at you, it's still not enough for a descent studio-quality photo.

The first time I had the opportunity to use a ring light, I was totally excited about it as well, and then quickly disappointed.
    edited December 2014
    I shall wait for @Rx4Photo to build his, then fly to Miami to test it. I think im going to hold off on building one and try to put the beauty dish to use that I have now with the Alien Bee B800 instead and maybe get a grid for it. It is not easy getting rid of GAS. but I do plan to try the ring light at one point.
    How about the Omega Reflector. According to them it simulates the beauty dish and ring flash

Omega reflector
  • That's an interesting accessory, @Vipmediastar_JZ!