Zeiss Otus 55mm 1.4 Lens

13»

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Having been in the world of manual focus for many years before AF was possible, I learned how to focus in a nearly automatic manner. And, on something like a Hassleblad 500C or Nikon F body with full ground glass screen, I rarely if ever missed focus. The screens were properly set up, the image was bright, and the issue of focus was in many cases easier than to have to place a spot over what was to be in focus. In action shots i could even follow focus just like the modern bodies do with their predictive focus tracking.....we all had to do this when shooting action.... cars, sports, animals, lots of moving targets.

Recently I tried my old 85mm f/1.8 Nikkor-H Auto from the 1960's, and once I had about thirty minutes of practice, it went fairly well.

Go look: https://www.flickr.com/photos/fantinesfotos/15586790618/sizes/o/

And, at my age ....or my eyes...and on the D800E with not the optimum focus screen, I can see how manual focus can be returned to with not too much of an issue. Thus, if I had the money, maybe I would opt for the Zeiss....

It is doubtful we will ever understand the internal workings of any of the large manufacturers, just does not happen. Like why do we not have any real understanding of why Nikon has not put a mirrorless full frame on the market yet? But, Zeiss has offered up one of the finest pieces of glass ever, and we will either like it or find a reason we do not. Mine is lack of funding....
    Msmoto, mod
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    Value and practicality: the Sigma Art wins. Absolute best glass: the Zeiss wins. It is wonderful that we all have those types of choices. Both choices are good choices; just for different reasons.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Value and practicality: the Sigma Art wins. Absolute best glass: the Zeiss wins. It is wonderful that we all have those types of choices. Both choices are good choices; just for different reasons.
    Well said Donaldejose.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Or craftmanship.

There are certainly other metrics and I would argue that in combination they outweigh sharpness.

But what a metric it is......

I had a dream last night about an 85 and 50 from Nikon, both of which had an MTF chart that looked like the new 400.

I woke up happy...
  • BesoBeso Posts: 464Member

As for Zeiss' opinion on a Zeiss lens, well, it's Zeiss' opinion on a Zeiss lens.
    As for (A. insert name here) opinion on a (B. insert manufacturer's name and product here), well, it's (insert same name as A. here) on a (insert same manufacturer's name and product as B. here).

The bottom line is the only opinion that matters, irrespective of the product or service, is the one belonging to the person who chooses to buy that product or service.

Take a position and then fashion a rationale to fit the conclusion.
    Occasionally a decent image ...
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    If perfection at F1.4 is what you are after then Zeiss may be the way to go.

I wonder how much difference there is between the Zeiss otus and a Nikon 50 1.8/ Nikon 85 1.8 if it is shot at F5.6.

Having said that I do wish that Nikon would bring out lenses that performs better at F1.4/F1.8.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited December 2014
    I really dont know why we are still at it. sigh ..
    * Ziess CANT make AF lenses for nikon and canon.
    ** so it does not matter if AF is better than MF. Ziess CANT make AF lenses for nikon and canon.
    ** so it doesn't matter if some people prefer MF to AF .. Ziess CANT make AF lenses for nikon and canon.
    ** so it doesn't matter if they make AF lenses for Fujifilm and Sony. .. Ziess CANT make AF lenses for nikon and canon.
    ** so it doesn't matter if they waffle on about the precision of MF lenses. they have to say something.. doesn't change the fact that Ziess CANT make AF lenses for nikon and canon.
    ** Doesn't matter if the OTUS is the best lense in the world.. Ziess CANT make AF lenses for nikon and canon.
    ** Doesn't matter if Sigma is almost as good and has AF .. Ziess CANT make AF lenses for nikon and canon.
    BTW any one notice that ZIESS doesn't have VR/IS/VC/OS
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• ElvisheferElvishefer Posts: 329Member
    Fine, fine heartyfisher...

... but what's your point? :D ;)
    D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 200mm f/4 Micro, 105mm f/2.8 VRII Micro, 35mm f/1.8, 2xSB900, 1xSB910, R1C1, RRS Support...

... And no time to use them.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited December 2014
    Fine, fine heartyfisher...

... but what's your point? :D ;)
    VR works very well... Ziess is crap cos' they dont have VR .. ;-)

#illridewithyou
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• ElvisheferElvishefer Posts: 329Member
    lol
    D700, 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 200mm f/4 Micro, 105mm f/2.8 VRII Micro, 35mm f/1.8, 2xSB900, 1xSB910, R1C1, RRS Support...

... And no time to use them.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    At this point, all that needs to be said about this amazing lens has been said. Thank you all for your inputs.

@paulr and all those that own the Otus 55 1.4 len, congratulation. I would hope you will share some of you images on PAD.

Topic Closed.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
This discussion has been closed.