"card error" message

2»

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Interesting. I've never had any major issues with any of the following brands in Nikon DSLRs: Sandisk (other than a card that corrupted once) SDHC and CF, Lexar SDHC and CF, Transcend SDHC, and A-DATA mSDHC via adaptor. Maybe I've just been lucky, one card that corrupted one time in over 10 years of digital shooting does not seem that bad.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    edited March 2015
    You are probably lucky with the non Sandisk and Lexar cards. Check out reviews on Transcend and Kingston sd cards. They will have 2000+ reviews with a large percentage (over 5%) of 1 star ratings...all from people who have had cards fail or not work. Check out even the cheapest sandisk cards and you might find a handful of failed card reviews, while most were it wasn't packaged right or was SDHC and not SD and didn't work. I am a bit biased, but for a reason. Plus like photobug said...spend thousands of dollars on camera gear and then cheap out on the memory card that records the pictures you just took with your thousands of dollars worth of equipment...doesn't make sense.
    Post edited by tcole1983 on
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    I will contact them today.

I did not think of that. I just put it off as lessen learned. I think I paid around $30 for two 64GB cards.
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    edited March 2015
    @Hammie...yeah there could be a reason it was only $30. I got "cheap" Samsung Pro cards on sale and they were still like $20 each for 32 GB cards. Even though they aren't on Nikon's approved list they have been great and seem really well made. Sandisk seems to always be the go to brand for most. I haven't ever had any problems with my Sandisk cards. I am not sure I have used my Samsung cards enough to say they are full proof, but shot a wedding ~2000 pictures total on 4 different Samsung cards and didn't have any problems.

Any brand can have cards that fail though. I think you have a less likely chance with some of the better ones. And I think most have spent enough on camera gear that paying an extra $10 or $20 a card is probably worth keeping pictures and the hassle of dealing with failing cards.
    Post edited by tcole1983 on
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • KilowattsonKilowattson Posts: 2Member
    I had a moment today. I have some cheap Trasncend cards for my D600 (yeah yeah) that are just simple personal use. We're filming a documentary and a last second meeting popped up I needed to film. Only thing i had nearby was my D600. I go, shoot all the footage, make about 5 or 6 different clips... all works well. At the very end of the shoot I go to switch lenses and see the card error message (which I never saw while recording). Hmmm. Try to view the clips I already made and no dice... the card is totally blank. So it erroring out at the end actually erased everything I had done up until that point.

I ran some deep scans on the card and the only files it finds are the 1500 pics that were on there BEFORE I formatted it... none of those videos are recoverable.

I understand it corrupting a video if it error'ed out while recording or whatever, but deleting (permanently) all of the day's clips is just bizarre/absurd/infuriating.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    I had a moment today. I have some cheap Trasncend cards for my D600 (yeah yeah) that are just simple personal use. We're filming a documentary and a last second meeting popped up I needed to film. Only thing i had nearby was my D600. I go, shoot all the footage, make about 5 or 6 different clips... all works well. At the very end of the shoot I go to switch lenses and see the card error message (which I never saw while recording). Hmmm. Try to view the clips I already made and no dice... the card is totally blank. So it erroring out at the end actually erased everything I had done up until that point.

I ran some deep scans on the card and the only files it finds are the 1500 pics that were on there BEFORE I formatted it... none of those videos are recoverable.

I understand it corrupting a video if it error'ed out while recording or whatever, but deleting (permanently) all of the day's clips is just bizarre/absurd/infuriating.
    Use a different scan program to double check. Not all of them are tuned to pick up videos. As a check use a different card shoot a video on the 600 and delete it. Then scan it to see if your current program can recover it.
  • KilowattsonKilowattson Posts: 2Member

Use a different scan program to double check. Not all of them are tuned to pick up videos. As a check use a different card shoot a video on the 600 and delete it. Then scan it to see if your current program can recover it.
    Recuva detects videos fine (it recovered some adorable baby videos of mine when I scanned it :) ), but I did end up using Undelete Plus which found the videos, but had them marked as "red" and "overwritten" ... I attempted the recover anyway and it worked!

I rescanned with Recuva and several other programs (making sure to explore all options within them) and it just never found it for whatever reason. All is well and new Sandisk Extreme Pros have been ordered. Firing the Transcends into the sun!
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited April 2015
    @Kilo, did you format the cards before your video shoot or just erase all of the files? And did you do it in a camera or a computer? I'm just curious...
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    @Kilowattson glad another program worked and you had happy outcome.
    I would not fire the Transcends into the sun just yet. I keep mine as back-ups when traveling to lend to a fellow shooter or friend in need.
  • trolleytrolley Posts: 206Member
    I've used Transcend 8Gb cards in my D200 for the last 5 years, along with Sandisk.
    And now I'm using one in my D800.
    So far I've never had an issue, touch wood. Although 1 image recently looks slightly corrupted in the lower half of the frame.