AF-D lenses for lighter weight and portability?

13»

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    I think that these are very good points Spraynpray. I pretty much agree with you if you stipulate that it is valid for the way most people shoot most of the time, but may be limiting to some people some of the time.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited January 2015
    Call it a rant if you like, but:

To be Honest I would say there is too much of that whole elitist mindset going on. The better the gear you buy, the more weight your opinions have in any given discussion and of course you must be an expert because of the gear on your posts footer. If you use primes, you're serious, if you shoot with zooms, well, they are 'convenient'.
    Not going to disagree about that there can be an elitist mindset, but keep in mind that is just a matter of perspective. I sure don't think of myself as being elite or better than others due to a gear list in the footer of my posts. All any of us can do is post comments based on experience, from both time shooting and the equipment we happen to use. If experience makes some of us come across as being "elitist" in other peoples minds, that's their issue.

I cannot speak for others who do this, but I keep the gear list in my footer simply as a reference, because I've had people ask what I shoot with. Saves the trouble of writing it out over and over again, or sending PMs to answer.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Yes PB, it is a generalisation and as such there will always be exceptions. I am also aware but didn't say before that some people with high end gear have only been shooting a very short time and yet they are already experts. Experience and pedigree seems to be a more reliable quality indicator than gear cost when it comes to excellence in images.

WestEndFoto: I do agree that it is possible a few people may find it limiting some of the time.
    Always learning.
  • seewhatididtherseewhatididther Posts: 5Member
    Thanks for most of the responses! (Lol)
    I'm off to obsess about:
    Do I believe the reviews that say the 50 1.8G is great, or the specific users who find it clinical/flat/non-wow?
    Even if the 1.4G is less sharp, is it still possible it's more special (for lack of a better term)? It's still cheap/light relative to the art!
    Asked another way: if I only got 1 Sigma art (and the rest 1.8G), which art would I get?
    Which wide angle focal length is right for me?

I plan to take my time and enjoy the journey. Thanks again!
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited January 2015
    I think if you get one Sigma Art lens it should be the 50mm F1.4, since 50mm is the weakest spot in the Nikon 1.8/1.4 lineup. Don't get me wrong, on low resolution bodies (D3 series, D700, D4 series and Df) they looks fine, but once you breach the 16MP barrier they start to show their weaknesses wide open. If you intend to stop the lenses down to F2.8 or more most of the time, then go for one of the 50mm Nikkors. If you want to shoot at wider apertures on a regular basis you might want to consider the Sigma.

As for what wide lens to get, that's hard to say without knowing your shooting style. Going wider than 24mm requires specific situations, but you need it, you need it.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited January 2015

Take the best shot from last months PAD - sevencrossing's Clifton Bridge in the mist shot. Beautiful - but any of Nikon's reasonably recent cameras could have got it if set right.

All IMHO of course.
    Glad you like the shot
    But IMHO I honestly do not think so
    The shot was pushing the dynamic range of my D800 to its limit
    when printed up to 2 feet by 3 feet
    you can see some of the highlights are blown and the shadows clogged

of course you must be an expert because of the gear on your posts footer

I have removed my gear list
    but if someone is recommending a D4s and the 800mm f 5.6
    it it is useful to know if they actually own them

some people with high end gear have only been shooting a very short time and yet they are already experts.

As someone said ( it might have been you) the more experienced you become you realise how little you know

There is as sign in my local cafe

Employ a teenager today
    while they know everything

Yes. I become a, know all, professional photographer, when I was a teenager
    50 years later I know nothing

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @seewhatididther: I agree with PB_PM. Go with the Sigma 50mm, should you go after a lens that offers 1.4. An additional reason is its 77mm filter size.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    You can get step up adapters if that is your only concern. I have step up adapters from Heliopan for all my lenses (up to 77mm) and they work quite well. There are only a few lenses with larger than 77mm filter threads and if you can afford those lenses, you can probably afford a full set of filters.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I am not certain about all the varied opinions expressed, the OP thread was "AF-D lenses for lighter weight and portability?"

I guess if one sacrifices speed, i.e., f/2.8 vs f/4.5, the lenses will of course be lighter and generally smaller. But if one compares simply D lenses vs, more current AF lenses, with similar secs, there is less than 10% difference in the weight of body and lens.

Thus, I do not see how one can conclude that an AF-D lens will actually give a real life advantage over a newer AF lens.

Oh well......
    Msmoto, mod
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    "Employ a teenager today
    while they know everything"

That is so true - I will be quoting that a few times that I can think of already. :D
    Always learning.