Real life test: D800E with AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR

2»

Comments

• IanGIanG Posts: 104Member
    Just stumbled across this post - people who only seem to be able to read curves and DxO stuff slag off this lens for some reason, while I seem to be in the minority - I actually use this lens, you know, to make photographs...

Love it to bits! (For info, this was at f/5.6 ISO 4500)

Bratsch_t-3
    Cameras, lenses and stuff. (I actually met someone once who had touched a real Leica lens cloth.)
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Yes, it performs far better than folks give it credit for. Oh, yes, Summicron 50mm f/2...on a Canon 7, during the 1960's.... :D

Wish I still had both...
    Msmoto, mod
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    Yes, it performs far better than folks give it credit for. Oh, yes, Summicron 50mm f/2...on a Canon 7, during the 1960's.... :D

Wish I still had both...
    I am currently using a Summicron 2.0 on a Sony A7II. Awesome, 35 cron even better, 50 lux asph better still.

... H

D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• JonMcGuffinJonMcGuffin Posts: 312Member
    @Msmoto: Thanks for your reply on the PP. I asked because I noticed that your shots don't show any vignetting in the corners and my 24-120 has huge vignetting - so much vignetting that clicking the lens correction button in Lightroom doesn't come close to fixing it. My 24-120 also shows lots of sagittal coma which I really hate as it makes it useless for night sky photography. It is already an f4 lens so I can't stop it down to improve that.

Anybody else have these problems?
    I too own this lens and I can say that I back this comment up, the lens has pretty bad vignetting that doesn't get corrected well or easily in Lightroom/Photoshop. It doesn't really bother me because, frankly, I usually vignette my photos anyway but I find this aspect of the lens more of a "problem" than any sharpness or lack thereof attributes.

• IanGIanG Posts: 104Member

Wish I still had both...
    Sorry you've got me there - what exactly are you trying to say?
    Cameras, lenses and stuff. (I actually met someone once who had touched a real Leica lens cloth.)