Lightroom challenges...

2»

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Are you running mavricks, or yosemite? Which NAS and version of that too while we're at it.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    edited January 2015
    All my Macs are running Yosemite, 10.10.1. I only run Adobe Creative Cloud on two of them, my nMP and my MBP. Both are 2014 versions, i.e. the nMP is an MacPro6,1 and the MBP is an MacBookPro11,1.

The NAS is a ReadyNAS Pioneer Pro, running FW 6.2.2. 6x3TB disks. TimeCapsule (router) is a 5th gen.
    Post edited by Killerbob on
    I would first start by turning off SMB file sharing. Just go to System Preferences -> Sharing -> File Sharing -> Options… and disable Share files and folders using SMB. You may need to re-connect to your shares, or reboot to make sure. The goal is to only use AFP as the 150 year old SMB protocol is Windows based and does not always play well on MacOS.

Another thing I would do is to make sure jumbo frames are enabled on your Mac and your NAS, but I would only change one variable at a time. There are bunch of other settings I want to go over after these, but they are the two biggies I would look at first.
  • FlowtographyBerlinFlowtographyBerlin Posts: 477Member
    Wait, if they already admitted it's not working, why invest any more time (and frustration) into it?
    I already use AFP for connecting to the shares from the Macs, and except for RSYNC that is the only protocol enabled. I should tell that I am certified Apple and Microsoft engineer/administrator and have worked in IT for 20 years:)

As for Adobe admitting that it doesn't work, they also say it is hit'n'miss as to who it works for. If I could get it working, by optimising the solution, I would really like to switch to LR.
    Okay, Mr. IT tech, I have 30 years IT experience, so between our 50 years we should be able to get this to work, or at least exhaust all of the possibilities.

Have you enabled jumbo frames on the host and the NAS? Have you done any of the performance level tweaks on the NAS, like disabling journaling?
    lol:) I agree, which is why it is really p...... me off I haven't fixed it yet.

MTU is set at 1500, and unfortunately I can't control MTU on the TimeCapsule:( I think that would make a difference as well.

The ReadyNAS FW 6.2.2 is not really open for changing performance parameters. The old FW was, but now it is more "user friendly". I can only enable/disable checksum on the volume, and disabling that of course decreases integrity.

This thing that I have notised, that when the previews scramble in LightRoom, they are also scrambled in Finder, is perplexing. It makes no sense... Then when I logout/login, the previews work in Finder, but still not in LR. It is almost as if LR sets the preview, and stores the preview, and this is what Finder is using as well, which is the reset when you recycle the buffer by logout/login.

BTW - I have tried with small JPGs and big JPGs, and that doesn't make a difference.
    edited January 2015
    The first thing I would do is get a gigabit switch from Cisco/Netgear and bypass the router, except for one tie back. Then you can have a clean 8000+ byte packets flowing directly between your gear and the NAS.

Secondly I would force a rebuild of the quick look cache:
    qlmanage -r
    qlmanage -r cache

Try that. I have more voodoo after that :-)

("Path MTU discovery" is a black art unto itself, and if the crappy apple router is doing anything silly, it can screw that up such that the hosts on either end think they have more packet length than they actually do. Since NAS devices tend to want to send the largest possible packet sizes. TCP would correct for this, but with a significant number retransmissions, you can check your network counters. If its using UDP that could account for the corruption...)
    Post edited by Ironheart on
    I am going to try something out; I'll direct connect the ReadyNAS and my nMP. They both have two Ethernet ports, and I can control MTU on these individually. All I need to figure out is how to ensure that Finder is using the direct connect port and not the other...
    I created a direct connection, increased the MTU to 9000 on the specific Ethernet port on the ReadyNAS and on the Mac Pro. I disabled the other Ethernet port on the Mac and connected via AFP. The speeds are the same, perhaps even a tad slower, and the previews are still scrambled in Lightroom:(

I did clear out the cache before importing files.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited January 2015
    may be lR 6 will address your issues
    claimed to be 70% faster
    requires 64 bit oS
    content aware, as in CS6
    O yes. Monthly subscription
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
    I already have the Adobe Creative Cloud subscription, so that's OK. For now I am sticking to Aperture, and when Photos is out I will try that, or perhaps like you say, LR6 will sort it out... I am not moving my JPGs and NEFs off the NAS...
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Monthly subscription? LR? I knew it would come. B**@#?+*!
    Always learning.
    Are the spacebar/quicklook previews still scrambled as well?
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    What is a good resource to start learning LR in greater detail. For the most part, I stay in the Basic and Detail sections the most.

• calengorcalengor Posts: 277Member
    Maybe check out Tony Northrup's new LightRoom 5 book? I've been contemplating it:
    http://sdpcommunity.com/index.php?/store/product/38-lightroom-5-video-ebook/
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    Thanks!

I also see that Adobe has some basic videos about LR 5.
    @ironheart, when they get scrambled in LR, they are also scrambled in Finder. But they never get scrambled in Finder unless they get scrambled in LR first.
    Try this:
    defaults write com.apple.finder QLEnableTextSelection -bool FALSE
    killall Finder
    Test search in QL was already turned off (by default in Yosemite), so no change... I have turned it back on though, as I forgot that it wasn't enabled anymore:)
    Its "text selection" not "test search" but I assume you just cut and pasted the above?

Another thing to do is run a "repair disk permissions" in disk utility on your system drive. Let me know how that goes.
    Right on the Test vs. Text... As for disk permissions, I repair them regularly. I don't think the "fix" is found there, I think for some reason, that LR is simply not good at reading the preview data from a NAS.

Unfortunately I can't speed the NAS anymore up, as it is actually the Gigabit network which is the limiting factor, and both the NAS and my nMP are part of that equation.

I can only hope that LR6 is better at this. Adobe acknowledges that there is an issue, so hopefully they have addressed this in the next version. After all, Gigabit should be fast enough... it is for all other applications.