How to Digitalize Your Old Negatives ....

PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
edited January 2015 in General Discussions
Not sure if it was shared before or if I am allowed to share ....

So practical ....

May need a Macro lens though, with a DSLR ...
Post edited by Paperman on

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Just buy a scanner. The image quality of a cheap scanner with negative capability will beat any macro lens.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    edited January 2015
    Wow, a nice DIY unit. However, look at all the post work he did. Just go buy a scanner and eliminate that cropping.

My daughter bought a $70 scanner to scan 35mm slides and negatives and it works fine for 4x6 pints and for her Geneologly work. A friend bought the $70 unit and them moved up to a $100 unit and finally got a $600 scanner. He liked the bump in quality he got with each step.
    Post edited by Photobug on
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • I_ROUTEI_ROUTE Posts: 5Member
    My dad gave me over 1500 slides he had taken from 1953 to ~1978. I did my homework and ended up getting a refurb Epson V600 (Has IR) and a program called VueScan. Best software for scanning I have used. They turned out awesome.

I did a little prep work though as all the slides had slight oxidation which I removed with a lens brush.

Later,
    Jeff
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I love the "homemade" stuff, and one can use a normal lens and reverse it in some instances. obtaining excellent images from this process. Of course, I also have a SUPER COOLSCAN 5000 ED which works well, but for someone on a budget, I support a project like the OP's video. Thanks for posting.
    Msmoto, mod