Venus 60mm 2.8 2:1 Macro

NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
edited February 2015 in Other Manufacturers
Looks like an interesting new macro lens. I think I saw it on the main blog page, but now someone has a review of the lens.

I'd usually be a little hesitant to recommend videos, but his macro work is top notch stuff so it's good to hear that he likes this lens.

The lens looks fairly reasonably priced, but there may not be AF and there probably is no matrix metering.

And... I'm not sure how confident I can be about the quality control is at the lens maker.

Post edited by NSXTypeR on
Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    This looks interesting, especially at the price. Venus also makes an adjustable extension tube, so these folks look serious about the macro equipment. I can imagine the adjustable tube used as well on a reversed normal lens.

As this new lens becomes more reviewed, it should be a real winner if it holds up to the video conclusions.
    Msmoto, mod
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    It looks like a versatile lens. And the price is also attractive
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited February 2015
    For those of you interested, another photo blogger, Jeffrey Friedl posted his thoughts on this lens. It works fairly well with a Sigma 2x teleconverter and extension tubes.

http://regex.info/blog/2015-02-26/2530
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    I have to wonder how useful a 60mm macro is. You will be blocking your light and scaring away anything the least bit shy.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited February 2015
    I have to wonder how useful a 60mm macro is. You will be blocking your light and scaring away anything the least bit shy.
    It isn't a lens for the casual snapper, that's for sure. The close working distance is a curse and a blessing as you do have to get close, but then the light wrap is far better. You just have to learn fieldcraft. These from my 60 - feel free to go in for a close look:

Green-Veined White freshly emerged

Damsel Fly At Rest
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.