Basic Lightroom Question: Sort and View Options?

FlowtographyBerlinFlowtographyBerlin Posts: 477Member
edited February 2015 in Other Manufacturers
Sorry to ask such a noob question, but I still haven't figured Lightroom out completely, and anyone who switched from one software to another will know the feeling of sometimes not being able to manage the most basic things...

Does anyone know how:
a) you can look at your images in a list, like, you know, with file names, file sizes, resolution, etc., these kind of things in columns so you can sort by these criteria
b) speaking of sorting: How can one sort by resolution or file size or other things beyond those very basic options in the "Sort:" menu below the grid view in the library module?

Thanks for any hints!

Comments

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited February 2015

Lightroom is not intuitive

save your self a lot of time and trouble

and go through a complete tutorial

Look up Lightroom Queen

or Matt kowalski Kloskowski at kelby training

sorry I can't post links due to nrf spam filters
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2015
    Press - g - for the library grid view.
    Press - t - to switch the toolbar on or off.
    There you see - Sort -

Press - g - for the library grid view
    Press - \ - to switch the filter bar on or off
    There you can make any view selection you want.
    Great database function.

Click on - help - library module shortcuts -
    Press - esc - to get rid off the popup screen.
    You can do this in every module.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2015
    Another one:

Right Click in the library mode on a thumbnail.
    Click on - View options - (at the bottom).
    Here you can add fields you can see in the grey area on the top and bottom from your thumbnails.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Those who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those doing it!
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    That name is Matt Kloskowski not Kowalski if you go that way.
    Always learning.
    That name is Matt Kloskowski not Kowalski if you go that way.
    Thanks corrected
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    Personally, I would not want a list view. I prefer the sort options within Lightroom so I can see the actual images.

In the filter bar, you can select more columns or change the columns shown to whatever you want (within reason). There is a drop down menu when you click on the column name.

The Lightroom Queen also has a great keyboard shortcut PDF file. The Mac one is 13 pages long... :D

• @sevencrossing @Ton @spraynpray @Hammie: Thanks very much for your feedback!

I don't want to go through tutorials, but just find out about this one thing, which is why I was asking here. I actually find the processing part of LR rather intuitive, it's just the workflow things like the one I was asking that are trickier. But I've already watched tutorials on this in the beginning and it helped quite a bit. I'm also down with the shortcuts for most of the stuff that I need, quite handy.

I've meanwhile figured out that there's neither a list view nor options for getting file size or resolution as a criterion to sort. Bummer. Funny how a version 5 of a software that is in large part dedicated to workflow and file management can lack such basic... 'features', if you wanna call it that.

If anyone has the same problem and knows a nice workaround, don't hesitate to post it here! (Trying to filter out low-resolution / file-size files.)

Thanks again, everyone!
    edited February 2015

I don't want to go through tutorials, !
    No one, including me wants to waste time .

But there are so many things LR can do, to speed up your workflow, it is time well invested. Matt Kloskowski on Kelby Training covers a lot of ground very quickly .
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    You can create a Smart Collection for specific megapixels. Not sure if that would help.
  • funtagraphfuntagraph Posts: 265Member
    I know what kind of list you're looking for, @FlowtographyBerlin, I guess you're used to the button in Aperture where one can switch between list and contactsheet view. Occassionally I use that, too, as it is a very easy way to sort by various characteristics like file type, size and other stuff.

A smart collection is not the same, because within a project folder it only makes another bucket of files and loses the overview for the whole project.
  • FlowtographyBerlinFlowtographyBerlin Posts: 477Member
    edited February 2015
    No one, including me wants to waste time. But there are so many things LR can do, to speed up your workflow, it is time well invested.
    Yes, you're right. As I said, I did a couple of tutorials in the beginning, and it helped a lot. I might actually go back and study some stuff to speed up the import workflow, which still is a pain, I must say, if I have to import different sessions. I hope there are ways to enhance it, but maybe not.
    You can create a Smart Collection for specific megapixels. Not sure if that would help.
    Ha! Thanks, @Hammie! A good workaround!
    I know what kind of list you're looking for, @FlowtographyBerlin, I guess you're used to the button in Aperture where one can switch between list and contactsheet view.
    Yeah, exactly... Well, whatever app one chooses, you're always gonna come across stuff you wouldn't have imagined that it's not implemented...

Thanks again, everyone!

Post edited by FlowtographyBerlin on