Sound in the lens

JCTibuJCTibu Posts: 44Member
edited February 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Hello Everyone!

While trying to replicate the flare issue of the D750, I start hearing some sounds coming from the lens..... it seems it is like the diaphragm opening and closing when i am moving the F stop dial.... now the weird thing is that it only happens in Live View and not in any other mode... First I thought it was my 50mm F1.8 Nikkor lens but it also sounds with my Sigma 24-105.....

Is this natural?

sadly, I don't remember hearing it with my previous cameras (D5300-D5200-D5100) as I rarely use the live view mode.....
Nikon D750 - Sigma 24-105mm f4 - Nikon 50mm 1.8g - Nikon 55-300mm - SB700 -SB400

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    edited February 2015
    it seems it is like the diaphragm opening and closing when i am moving the F stop dial....
    Perfectly normal in live view mode. Go take some photos.
    Post edited by Ironheart on
  • JCTibuJCTibu Posts: 44Member
    nice.. thanks! that's a relieve... image #:-S
    Nikon D750 - Sigma 24-105mm f4 - Nikon 50mm 1.8g - Nikon 55-300mm - SB700 -SB400
  • ArnoArno Posts: 1Member
    I just bought a D750, and I have the same problem :
    big dirty sound while opening or closing the diaphragm.
    The problem is only in LiveView mode, and doesn't come from my 24-120f4 lens which doesn't have the concern on a D5300.

@Ironheart : How can you say it is perfectly normal ?
    We are here talking about a sound as loud as a tractor on a camera 2000$ !
    Moreover, i am really afraid it deteriorates my lens

Nikon D750 has been totally neglected on quality : After the flare problem, after the shutter malfunction... now the LiveView mode making diaph noisy
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    You must be exaggerating a bit. Although in fairness to the tractor you might have your ear closer to the camera. You are hearing the "power aperture" motor activate at these times. Most other models don't even have this feature. If you think it's bad enough, send it to the service center like this guy did:
    http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3774931#forum-post-54986210
    Nikon sent it back telling him it was normal.

If you can describe exactly what you are doing to create the sound, we can determine what is causing it, but I bet it's normal. How does it compare to the shutter noise?
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    I had sand in my 12-24 Nikkor used underwater in a housing in Alaska. I used it with the D70 and the D300. I went away after awhile. I was sure it was damaging the lens. It was loud. When I get this problem with a deluxe fly fishing reel I take them all apart. Those reels can run $500 to $1,500. However the 12-24mm Nikkor I SHOULD have sent back to Nikon USA. I was broke enough from my trips to Alaska that I couldn't afford it at the time. Luckily it went away. I have found Nikon USA very, very reasonable about repair work even out of warranty. I should say that the sand in the lens from the underwater housing use in Alaska did result in one of the best UW photos I have ever taken of Red Salmon. Sometimes to document, record, whatever you call it you have to expose yourself and your gear to some hazards. The day that happened I did lose a D70 and a 18-70 lens in Brook's River in Alaska. I had it sent back to me when it was found by a Park Ranger. It was underwater when he found it. The images were how they found out when owned the camera. The Capture card had retained the images. the camera and lens are now a relic in my gear room.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    Third sentence should read...... It went away, etc. The sound and I assume the sand just worked it's way out of the lens barrel......