Adobe Lightroom 6

2»

Comments

• KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    Has anyone gotten their hands on the LR6 beta? I am not asking you to break NDA in this open forum, but if you could indicate to me in PM I'd truly appreciate it...

I have some seriously irritating problems with LR5 - it doesn't perform up against my NAS, and I am about ready to invest hundreds of $$$ in another solution. I am tired of waiting and Adobe hasn't confirmed anything yet. They are really pushing my patience this time, and are about neck-to-neck with Apple...
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I doubt there will be any major performance changes in LR6, nothing that will make a NAS faster. NAS setups by nature are slow, since they are limited by the speed of gigabit ethernet.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    The list of improvements specifically mention performance and read speed, so I have my hopes up. It is incredible that a Mac Pro on a Gigabit network, through a Gigabit switch, to a Gigabit ReadyNAS, cannot read files quickly enough to generate previews in LR... But this is what Adobe tells me, and I hope it is resolved with LR6, otherwise I need to find another workflow...
    edited March 2015
    A NAS would likely max out at 25-50MB/s, depending on the hardware, so slow loading of files is almost a given. That is why I use USB3 or Thunderbolt connections for my RAID boxes.

The latests rumors point to a LR6 release on the 25th, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    According to Blackmagic I am actually getting 108MB/s in write and 110MB/s in read from my NAS. However, the read speed is what Adobe is using as the reason as to why my previews do not work correctly in LR. I am not convinced, but I have tried everything else, and must admit that with all else the same, and the previews working when I import (w. reference) into LR from a local disk, and not working when from the NAS, they may have a point. Hence, I look forward to LR6...
    You must have a really nice NAS box there to be getting that close to max gigabit ethernet speed. :)

I'll be the first to admit that Lightroom is slow as a dog, compared to other similar apps, so I too hope it gets better.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Lightroom slow? Gosh, last year it only required about eight minutes to export one file....LOL

OK, it was a TIFF file, 65" x 30" at 360 DPI, totaling 1.4Gb

And all this time I have been trying to figure out what NAS meant....(Network Attached Storage)
    8-|
    Msmoto, mod
  • nek4lifenek4life Posts: 123Member
    Anyone have any experience with both Lightroom and Capture One? I have LR5, but I've been thinking about getting the CC option to get Photoshop and work back and forth with smart objects. This way I would get LR6 when it comes out. However, I'm also intrigued by Capture One and was thinking about trying it out before I made the year commitment on Adobe CC. I love B+W photography so I'm really curious as to what their advanced B+W features are going to be based on the features found in the leaks so far.
    Lightroom slow?
    Yes Lightroom is rather slow in some areas. I'm not talking about export speed, although Lightroom isn't exactly fast at that either. When it comes to loading previews for example, and the final RAW files, LR5.7 is slow, at least compared to other similar editors I've tried (Aperture 3.5, RawTherapee, Darktable, Capture One). Then again Lightroom 5.7 is using older 32bit code and lacks GPU acceleration, which the other apps mentioned do have. The GPU acceleration gives those apps a real speed boost when it comes to loading previews, live updates of edits in progress etc.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    One great advantage of being old and retied is I have all day to process photos... sort of.
    I have had issues with LR or my older Macbook, getting choked when I use a lot of brush strokes on a photo... and I mean more than ten of fifteen. I have 8 Gb of memory to work with.
    Msmoto, mod
    I think LR is inherently slow, and Adobe needs to upgrade the underlying architecture. I have a loaded Mac Pro from 2014. 6 cores, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD, and 2 D700 graphics cards. It is a fast computer, and still I experience performance issues. Adobe has declared that LR6 (which should be on its way) will only work on 64-bit OSes, so that's a good sign that they have indeed done something about the solution...
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    I think LR is inherently slow, ..
    In comparison to Darkroom 10, Lightroom 5 is blisteringly fast