So it is Black and Blue.

heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,181Member
edited February 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Post edited by heartyfisher on
Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Comments

  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,181Member
    So you are saying you see white and gold ? ;-)
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,363Member
    Black and blue. Anyway, the real dress is black and blue, so the debate is pointless.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,181Member
    black and blue if taken with FX
    white and gold if taken with DX

    the degree to which I deplore discussions of this poxy dress cannot be overstated.
    LOL

    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,203Member
    People on the internet find out about perception and exposure issues and the internet explodes.

    People like us talk about this stuff all the time.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,387Member
    Actually, it seems to be quite a unique photo being discussed even by ophthalmologists who are not sure why some people see one color combination and other people see a different color combination. Apparently, 99% of the time we see the same colors. This photo is the other 1%. Somehow it falls right in an area were peoples biological differences are very significant.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 971Member
    I see a white and gold. Interesting. It is not strange that we like different photographs if we actually see them differently.
  • bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 99Member
    Freaks me out a bit actually...for me it was gold/white first then changed to black/blue as I looked at it - changed back and forth a couple of times but now it's staying blue/black.
    I guess because I know it's actually blue/black that's why it's staying that way - I can't see the white/gold anymore!!

    Cheers,
    Baldy. :)
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,203Member
    Actually, it seems to be quite a unique photo being discussed even by ophthalmologists who are not sure why some people see one color combination and other people see a different color combination. Apparently, 99% of the time we see the same colors. This photo is the other 1%. Somehow it falls right in an area were peoples biological differences are very significant.
    I'm not sure how the original photo was processed (if at all), but the mind interprets visual information too. There's a lot of trickery going on to make things seem normal to your brain and there are times when things don't work and you get fooled. For instance, you have a blind spot in each of your eyes, although you don't notice it. Also, ever wonder why you don't see blood vessels in your retina? Your brain subtracts them out. In the right circumstances, they can be seen.

    I think this dress was one of those light/dark optical illusions.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    I still see Blue/Gold or maybe it's a shade of brown. I guess it could be my monitor.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,295Member
    I also saw blue/gold and told the wife the white balance of the camera can make a big difference. Amazing how much "press" this has gotten.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • FlowtographyBerlinFlowtographyBerlin Posts: 477Member
    Just load the image in LR or PS and with the WB eyedropper tool click on a) the dark surface; b) the blue surface. Gives you the two options what it could be in reality. It is, as it has been confirmed, option a).
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,396Moderator
    If we stare at the image without moving our eyes we discover the image changes. Some of this is due to the relative sensitivity of the cone cells in the eye's retina. Also, if the ambient lighting is low, more rods are working in the retina and these are only b & w sensitive.

    All of the signals sent to the brain from the eye are essentially filtered through both state and setting expectations in our psychological framework.

    Thus, multiple factors are involved in how we perceive the objects in our environment. This is also why when interviewing witnesses to an event, e.g., motor vehicle accident, a wide variation in what the witnesses have seen is recorded. These are again related to the mind state of the witness and the expectations of reality.

    Oh well....
    Msmoto, mod
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 587Member
    edited March 2015
    @msmoto: Or we could retire to the media room and watch Rashomon. Edit: Kurasaw gets my vote. It is, IMCO, a "poxy" dress. As Rosana Rosana Dana might say, "Endangered feces? Who cares?"
    Post edited by Capt_Spaulding on
  • hawkdl2hawkdl2 Posts: 56Member
    It's white and gold for me and no matter how long I stare at it, I cannot get it to be black and blue. Interesting phenomenon.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,427Moderator
    I see mid blue and mid brown. It changes with the ambient and time looked at.
    Always learning.
  • FlowtographyBerlinFlowtographyBerlin Posts: 477Member
    Once again, the thing is a phenomenon, yes, but a really simple one that we all know. White balance, not more not less. It all depends on what white balance your brain suggests to you. The confusion results from the fact that in the background, there's a light source that has a different white balance from the one that's illuminating the dress. Plus the image isn't white balanced at either the dress or the background, but "in the middle", so your brain needs to resolve this. And it's all about whether you go left or right. (Or back and forth.)

    Put it in LR or PS and do the clicking.
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,001Member
    black and blue if taken with FX
    white and gold if taken with DX
    Cream and Brown if taken with CX
    The possibilities are endless...Canon? Fuji?
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,427Moderator
    edited March 2015
    All we need to do is get the D400 in there and we would have covered all the bases. :D
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,181Member
    If tha photo was taken with a D400 there would be no doubt it was Black and Blue well unless you used ISO104k and a lensbaby.
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

  • FlowtographyBerlinFlowtographyBerlin Posts: 477Member
    All we need to do is get the D400 in there and we would have covered all the bases. :D
    I heard the D400 is just about to be announced, actually, so there's really no need to make fun of it at all.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,181Member
    All we need to do is get the D400 in there and we would have covered all the bases. :D
    I heard the D400 is just about to be announced, actually, so there's really no need to make fun of it at all.
    They actually made a white and gold dress in the end ... there is hope for a D400 yet !

    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,427Moderator
    Pass the splif guys, don't hog it all! :D
    Always learning.
Sign In or Register to comment.