Love your Nikon DSLR ?

2»

Comments

• WesleyWesley Posts: 67Member
    Canon & Nikon play leap frog so I don't mind what people use. Great pictures are made with either brand. The problem are the ones that think their current equipment suddenly turn into crap because of some rating.

"Real world" is having you use the camera, comparing your pictures, and finding results beyond test numbers.

My personal consensus:

- Nikon full frame sensors have better shadow detail/recovery; highlights clip faster; banding not a problem

- Canon full frame sensors have poor shadow recovery; maintains highlights better; noise & DR doesn't scale as bad as Nikon going into higher ISO

Differences become negligible with proper exposure & available techniques like bracketing.
    D700: 24-70 2.8, 85 1.8G
    D3100: 18-55
    A7II: 16-35 F4, 55 1.8, 70-200 F4
    Canon sensors are in almost all ways worse than Nikon sensors. There are no "pros and cons" of each. And you say proper exposure and bracketing as if they are always an option. You can only bracket shots that have no people in them. Also, explain to me how your are going to properly expose shots taken with harsh midday sun or backlit conditions? Recovering shadows is the best way to make these kinds of photos not only usable, but also beautiful. This shot is **impossible** to take with a Canon sensor. It was underexposed and "lit" with shadow recovery—on purpose. There was just me and a model. To get this shot with a Canon, you'd need someone else with a reflector or some some kind of diffusion panel. I know. I shot Canon for years. Their sensors suck.
    You should search and contact Gavin O'Neill. A Canon user that shoots models on the beach during day. I'm sure he will reply with a friendly email.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited March 2015

I really hate the phrase "real world" or "real world test." It implies that somehow pictures that I take shooting my cat are relevant. They aren't. Dx0 Mark tests give me a hell of a lot of information in terms of what I can expect my files to look like when I get them into my computer and start working with them........
    May be new topic
    The advantage of DxO is I can compare a new camera / lens with one I already have.
    but at the end of the day, it is how they perform in the real world, that matters to me
    I used to like Scott Kelby's real world tests

Post edited by sevencrossing on

You should search and contact Gavin O'Neill. A Canon user that shoots models on the beach during day. I'm sure he will reply with a friendly email.
    THANK YOU for making my point for me. Gavin O'Neill shoots his models backlit with a giant reflector on them. Go to youtube and look up "Gavin O'Neill Behind the Scenes." I shot my photo with no assistant, underexposed, and lit with shadow recovery. I didn't have to worry about an assistant messing up. I didn't have to worry about my angles. The only thing I worried about was composing the photo properly, underexposing a bit, and then revealing all of that beauty through the magic of the D810 sensor.

My exposure was correct for the way I wanted to use the file and for what my plans were in post-production. Look at how beautiful that is with no shadow noise and no harsh shadow lines, and it's clear she's in full-on sun. Canon sensors fail in this situation.
    I personally don't like to solely rely on shadow recovery technique for high contrast shots (I like some darkish shadow/no HDRish look) but was hoping you realize he uses speedlight or ringflash as well which you can use if no assistant preferred. Sand & water act as natural reflector. You can work with that.

He's the one I know that would most likely return a solicited email. The other Canon users shooting some day beach stuff: Alexei Bazdarev, Lina Tesch, Derren Versoza.
    There is no logic in anything you're saying. I can use other techniques if I want, but I don't have to, and what's more, I don't want to. Having a sensor with over 3 stops more of dynamic range doesn't mean I can't use a ring flash. And I've never had any complaints about my shots looking bad or HDRish. If I had wanted darker shadows I could have easily achieved them with more dodging & burning, or even simpler a curves adjustment layer with a simple s-curve, but I don't retouch to your taste. It seems that what you are saying is that it's better to have a crappier sensor and noisy shadows. To each his own.
    Give it some time and you'll realize. Just fyi, your posted picture does have harsh shadow lines (face/neck/hip area) when you said there is none.
    I would recommend you read post thoroughly before replying as you seem to mistakenly exaggerate.
    Yep. I'm a crappy photographer. Everyone knows it.
    Not here to put any photographers down. You seem pretty cool, I think we just started on bad footing.

But back about the OP.
    Come on now does anyone even understand the test charts he put up LOL
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    Yep. I'm a crappy photographer. Everyone knows it.
    Not here to put any photographers down. You seem pretty cool, I think we just started on bad footing.

But back about the OP.
    Come on now does anyone even understand the test charts he put up LOL
    Ha...pitchblack has just been grumpy lately and holding strong stances in his opinions. Of course he is a professional making money, but it doesn't always apply to everyone else.

D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Verisimilitude: 'something, as an assertion, having merely the appearance of truth.' "the quality of seeming to be true"
    Always learning.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    lol I had to look it up too :-)
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    I hope the new Canon 5DsR gets a 98 rating on DXO ....
    That would be awesome if only to be able to go over to Canonrumors and read about how all of a sudden DXO is meaningful and accurate. LoL

Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited March 2015
    People who pity Canon now may forget the days of the CCD. Canon smoked Nikon in that department for years because of their fullframes. It was the D3 that changed the game for Nikon permanently. The D200 was better than the 40D but the difference wasnt like what the D3 Offered and the D100 was much worse than the (Canon)D60 or 20D. Surprisingly DXO mark is pretty accurate. Try overexposing on a 5Dmk3
    Excellent post Kyshinikon couldn't agree with you more on all the points you touched on!

Post edited by kanuck on
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    I hope the new Canon 5DsR gets a 98 rating on DXO ....
    That would be awesome if only to be able to go over to Canonrumors and read about how all of a sudden DXO is meaningful and accurate. LoL

So true my older bro can't stand DXO as a devoted Canon shooter. He can't figure out why his 16-35mm F4 IS and new 24-70 2.8 Mark II get scores of just 16 and 18 for sharpness. It ticks him off to no end when shooting on his 6D and 5DM3. His work is excellent though so clearly Canon works for him and he is paid well for it. He makes nearly double what I do haha cry.....
  • MaxBerlinMaxBerlin Posts: 86Member
    Pitch Black - great work. Love your photos and subject matter.
    My non-commercial blog:

https://sonyvnikon.wordpress.com/