Do i need a (insert focal length here) lens

starralaznstarralazn Posts: 204Member
edited February 2013 in Nikon Lenses
Hey everyone,

Haven't been on in awhile, so here's my first post to the forum: i would like some advice on whether i need a specific lens.
in hopes of making this more open for the future (if this is still needed in this newer forum) i have omitted the specifics in the title.
Anyways, onto the question,
Do i need an 85mm if i have the 105mm 2.8G? specifically the 1.8G, naturally the difference on paper is the fov, difference in max magnification, and the stop and a third difference. anyone have a good arguement for medium tele? convention season is coming up so i see a need for a portrait telephoto, and the relatively fast aperture of the 85 seems like a more versatile choice than the 105. Thanks in advance for your opinions and help : )

Comments

• GarethGareth Posts: 159Member
    well you'll get a lot of people going on about how great the 105 is, and for macros it is. But i just sold mine.

I would seriously consider the 85 if I was in your shoes.

Here is a few of the reasons why you should consider it.

Better low light performance (i.e. you can use lower ISO).
    Better low light focusing due to wider aperture.
    Better close distance focusing in continous AF at close distances (the 105 is hopeless for portraits at close distances in low light in af-c).
    More blown out backgrounds / creamier bokeh / subject isolation.

just rent one for a convention (from a few days before for testing) and then you'll know.

if you don't do macros, i don't see a need for the 105
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    edited February 2013
    Difficult question, the 85mm is more a portrait lens while the 105mm is more a macro lens. Both give very crisp pictures. I like the 105mm because you can go smaller than f22 and I sometimes use that. i did not experience the AF problems. People with the 85mm like the bokeh.
    Post edited by Benji2505 on
  • GodlessGodless Posts: 113Member

Better close distance focusing in continous AF at close distances (the 105 is hopeless for portraits at close distances in low light in af-c).
    Who uses AF-C for portraits anyway?
    if you don't do macros, i don't see a need for the 105
    +1 to this
  • GarethGareth Posts: 159Member

Who uses AF-C for portraits anyway?

I do, almost exclusively. + the op mentioned a convention

• starralaznstarralazn Posts: 204Member
    thanks for the input everyone

i do shoot macro at times, so i'm not looking to sell the 105 anytime soon.

for conventions, theres largely not enough time, or sometimes i don't really want to stop someone, so af-c is useful for shots on the go. to put it into perspective, i have less experience shooting with a telephoto at a (chaotic) event than with a zoom ( 70-200 has no trouble locking focus, but its a little large)
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    You didn't say what body you use - FX or DX? 85mm on FX is a wider lens than it is on DX. I have a 50mm on my D7000 which is 'OK' for portraits (75mm equiv) and that means you are closer to your subject which may or may not help you with your convention scenario.
    Always learning.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Right, so you are going to need around ten feet for head and shoulders shots. If that isn't a problem, fine. If it is and the pics are not to be kept (passes or whatever) you could go a little shorter. Got a 60mm micro?
    Always learning.
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    For conventions & conferences (where I usually do more of a documentary style) I use a 28-70 or 24-120vr and a 70-200vr 90% of the time. I always take a 50mm and an ultra wide but rarely use them except for a full venue shot and the 50 for the just incase. I have tried using my 105vr and 85mm 1.8 but never take them anymore. Nothing wrong with the lenses at all, but for conventions or conferences I just didn't find them useful. Personally I find a zoom a necessity and use a flash every chance I can get.

I bounced around a bit with what I shot with, and have gone with a 35mm f2 (X100) and a 50mm or 85mm, and then tried the 105vr on multiple bodies being concerned about low light as well, but I always got caught in situations where they were bad choices for when the moment arose for something needed. I also missed group shots due to the lack of DOF. For that reason I have been borrowing a 24-120vr f4 or renting one as it is sharp wide open and the DOF is much wider. If there are group shots and you only have one person in focus, that never looks good. F4 generally gives enough DOF for 3-5 people talking.

I guess I look at it as, a bit of noise is an acceptable trade-off verses out-of-focus groups for missing a shot due to having too long or too short of a lens.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Oh, I love these threads which allow me to gather in more rationalizations to purchase another lens. I have a 20mm f/2.8, 24mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 135mm f/2.0 and zooms to cover all from 16mm up to 200mm range. So, what do I need? Oh, I prefer to shoot primes. And I shoot both DX and FX.

So, I "need" a 105mm, sure, and I "need" a 35mm f/1.4 (Sigma). As I do not have any absolute needs, the word most likely means "want". If we are shooting as a living, then I would follow the rule a friend used to follow...if a job required a piece of equipment, he bought it. Including an 8mm f/2.8 non-retro focus fisheye in the 1970's. And, he also made certain the job paid for the purchase.

A lot of how we shoot a job is in our attitude. And if we are more comfortable with a larger armamentarium of lens/bodies, this may show up in the final product. I will cary a couple different lenses, possibly an additional body in my Lowepro backpack, yet may only use one, once I am shooting. Perfect example..The Henry Ford Museum, used the 16-35mm f/4.0 VR Nikkor exclusively, on a tripod shooting HDR, but had 10.5mm, 24mm, and 24mm PC in backpack. if this were a pro shoot, I would have had two tripods, two bodies and a grip (sherpa) to carry everything.

So, I am ready to order my 35mm f/1.4 Sigma. The 85mm f/1.8G is a stunner of a lens BTW.
    Msmoto, mod
  • GhostRider117GhostRider117 Posts: 29Member
    So, I "need" a 105mm, sure, and I "need" a 35mm f/1.4 (Sigma). As I do not have any absolute needs, the word most likely means "want".
    Or maybe "would easily find a way to use, should I have it". I know those symptoms.

Back on the original question: the 105mm is a superb lens, but it is not optimal for what you describe. The 85mm would probably be better suited (and lighter, and more compact). Up to you to see if you can spare the cash, but this is an affordable, and apparently optically excellent, lens.

Msmoto, your take on the 10.5mm? That's a lens I've been thinking about buying for a while...
  • DJBee49DJBee49 Posts: 133Member
    msmoto.
    I love the word 'armamentarium'!
    For me this would cover lenses, motorcycles, binoculars,telescopes (all Nikon of course, except the motorcycles), books and possibly children!
  • starralaznstarralazn Posts: 204Member
    A lot of excellent points...
    msmoto - that is very important, defining what is a need and what is a want. i may not need a short telephoto unless i go into portrait photography in the near future... ( i might, you never know!)
    TaoTeJerad - that is useful info. i can see where you're coming from about the need for flexibility at such events.
    spraynpray - that 60mm micro is nice... but i already have a 50mm, which i feel is close enough. 10foot head shots... i may go back and think what angle of view i normally use (although a prime would force you to work to get that shot ...)
    edited February 2013
    @ GhostRider117

Regarding the 10.5mm f/2.8. Mine is modified as here
    Fisheye Mods-Final

Cutting off the hood is done only with a little care. If one hits the front element...oh well.

This is a very sharp lens, on the full frame in its modified form I had a lot of fun at the NAIAS recently.
    you can see several shots here;
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/fantinesfotos/sets/72157632584664847/

I used the 10.5mm f/2.8, the 24mm f/1.4, and the 85mm f/1.8 for the shoot.

On crop sensor of course, the lens gives about 150° horizontal coverage.

Here is a favorite
    NAIAS 2013
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    I agree with Tao on this one. I think I would opt for the 24-70 zoom for this situation. Would give you some flexibility between a single person and a small group. Also it would make more sense to be able to move up a little if the range is wrong instead of having to back up if the 105 is too long.

That said I use my 105 for portraits of my daughter all the time...excellent lens for it and I have never had a problem with it focusing. Shoot wide open at F2.8 and they turn out great. I think the 85 F1.8 would also be great, but not sure if most need both. I have thought about getting it, but it is so close I don't think I would use it a ton. For as much portraits as I do my 105 is my go to lens for those.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Have both the 105 2.8 Micro and 85 1.8G I can say that having both is Awesome and each has proven very effective in addressing my needs. All of you know their features and performance and for those that don't...stop reading and start buying. :P

With respect to AF-C, I have not used this for "portrait" photography. 100% of the time I'm using AF-S. That said, I have used AF-C mode on the 85 1.8G and the results have been fantastic.

The 105 is a specialty lens and though it has some great features (VR, ability to use teleconverters), it is after all a Macro lens and I use it for that purpose mostly. However, if and when I'm doing portrait photography, I can assure you that the 105 is with me and I will use it.

As for bokeh, both lenses produce beautifully creamy out-of-focus backgrounds.
    Post edited by Golf007sd on
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    edited February 2013
    People always recommend zooms because they are "more flexible" . Im in the other boat I think the lack of zoom allows you to focus more on the shoot and less on the camera. Also that extra stop or 2 wider can make a huge difference in bg distractions.

As to the 10.5mm I love mine as I find it useful However I probably also own the worlds ugliest 10.5mm too

Yes that is a shatter in the glass but it still takes tack sharp pics. It looks like that because I go after shots like this and sometimes closer. It is an amazing lens and can be more than a gimmick if you know how to use it.

I am about a foot and a half from the rider max. This was about a week and a half ago

Even closer but much older https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/394660_274658162588249_630757653_n.jpg
    Post edited by kyoshinikon on
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
    Love it kyoshinikon! And, you might as well cut the rest of the hood off like I did above.......Incidentally, I use mine on a monopod.....

NAIAS 2013

Maybe 18 inches to two feet from the DJ. Security always comes over and chats after these....
    Msmoto, mod
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    Great Photo msmoto. Good use of the lens. Many overlook it because of its distortion but it is a very capable lens. Similar can be said over the 85mm etc ...
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson