Nikon D750 oil issues

2»

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    If I had it for only three months, I would have sent it in for service or brought it back to where I bought it. There are many variables and reasons why. Pollens and dust exist indoors too, and the statically charged sensor is a magnet. Another reason to turn the camera off when changing lenses. You don't give enough information, as to which lenses, where you were shooting, etc... < cynic> you will probably never post again so we won't know <\cynic>
  • EricBowlesEricBowles Posts: 27Member
    While it's possible there is oil or something similar, it's hard to go 3 months without cleaning and expect the absence of dust spots. Even if you leave the lens on the camera, many lenses suck air in and out while zooming and bring in dust. There are many sources of dust - even during the production of a new camera. The sensor is just one surface in the mirror box - you have the mirror, walls of the mirror box, the bottom of the prism, the lens cap, and the lens itself.

If you have "500 spots on the sensor", you probably have 3000 dust particles floating around other areas of the mirror box that are not going to be removed with cleaning the sensor. Sure - you can clean it - but it will happen again. Dust is just part of owning a digital camera.

The problem is a lot worse in dry areas with low humidity. There are lots of things you can do to reduce dust. For example, you can buy weather sealed lenses - especially those that don't extend when you zoom. But these lenses are much more expensive so it's better to learn to use a blower and prevent dust. If a cleaning is required once or twice a year, you can learn to clean it yourself or send it for cleaning.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Sorry to read that you aren't happy with your D750.

Assuming your D750 was purchased new, why did you attempt cleaning yourself and also pay for it to be cleaned by a third party? There is only one way to get to the bottom of this situation and that is to involve Nikon. I repeat from the many posts above (which you should have read), there is no 'problem' with the D750 having oil spots like there was on the D600, IF yours had an oil problem and it was within warranty, Nikon would have sorted it.
    Always learning.