Copyright'ing photos...

KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
edited December 2022 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I have been asked to oversee a group of volunteer amateur photographers who will be taking pictures at the Arctic Winter Games here in Nuuk in 2016. We are only one year away, and there is lots to do. One of the many things on my checklist is making sure we sort out how to handle property rights etc.

We will be volunteers for the AWG Committee and as such we are giving them all the Use Rights, but we want to retain the Intellectual Property Rights.

Thus far we have figured we need to add our own personal details in the Copyright section of the EXIF data, i.e. Artist and Copyright. And then when we upload pictures over to the AWG website we add "AWG" to the Copyright information.

Question is; are we on the wrong track, or is this sufficient?
Post edited by Killerbob on

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited May 2015
    Depends on national regulations, you might what to check with your countries copyright office.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    You dont need to put anyting on it though information in the EXIF helps but can be easily stripped off .
    If you took it its your coplyright with or without any marking ...your problem is if someone used it then how much effort and money will you put into getting money from them ?
    Did you consider giveing all your images to an agency and let them handle it ? Rockwell has just put up a good link with everything explained.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited May 2015
    We will be volunteers for the AWG Committee and as such we are giving them all the Use Rights, but we want to retain the Intellectual Property Rights..............
    `By "them" do you mean the AWG Committee?
    If so; are you putting any constraints on their rights ?

Pistnbroke
    Did you consider giving all your images to an agency and let them handle it

If the rights have been assigned, to the AWG Committee. I suspect an agency may not be interested

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    edited May 2015
    By "them" I do indeed mean the AWG Committee.

As for an agency, I doubt any such exist here in Greenland and/or Denmark...

We'll put the copyright info in the EXIF data, and rely on common Danish practise, i.e. the photographer retains rights to any picture for at least 70 years, regardless if he has given someone rights to use the picture.
    Post edited by Killerbob on
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited May 2015
    Getty images cover the whole world but they normally require exclusive rights, which you could not give them,if rights have been assigned to AWG

You can add a digital signature
    and for a fee companies will search the web for their use

Post edited by sevencrossing on