Adobe Camera RAW for D4s

OnTheRopesOnTheRopes Posts: 27Member
edited May 2015 in D3/D4/D5
Hi
I've been out of the loop for a while and just setting up my software and dusting off the D4s.
Quick question: Can I upgrade ACR to work with D4s Raw files and Lightroom 4 / CS6 or do I need to upgrade LR or other options?

Thanks

Comments

• HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    If the D4s is not supported in your version of LR4, then your two options are:

1.) Upgrade ACR in order to read the D4s files. Convert your NEF files to DNG. Import the DNG files into LR4.
    2.) Upgrade to a newer version of LR (LR5 or LR6/CC) and bypass the ACR completely.
  • OnTheRopesOnTheRopes Posts: 27Member
    Thanks Hammie
    I feared that may be the answer, I am currently using Adobe DNG Converter and I am not ready for CC yet. I want a few years out of CS6 and will only go CC when forced to, looks like LR6 it is then.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    "dusting off the D4s".....gosh, my first thought is....If you are not going to use the thing, send it on and I will keep it well fed and exercised.... :))
    Msmoto, mod
  • bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 104Member
    @OnTheRopes:

I feared that may be the answer, I am currently using Adobe DNG Converter and I am not ready for CC yet. I want a few years out of CS6 and will only go CC when forced to, looks like LR6 it is then.
    I think Hammie's got it correct...

For photoshop CS6 you can install the free ACR upgrade (I think it's 8.7 or 8.7 now) and you're good to work directly with the NEF files.
    If you want to process your raw files in Lightroom 4, you'd need to use the DNG converter as you are, or upgrade to LR6.

Cheers,
    Baldy ;)
  • HammieHammie Posts: 258Member
    ACR/Adobe DNG Converter is now to version 9.0 with the release of Lightroom CC/6.

I don't see any other way to skin this cat.

Sorry.
  • SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member
    Yep, I think version 9.0 is the latest version of the raw converter.
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||
    "dusting off the D4s".....gosh, my first thought is....If you are not going to use the thing, send it on and I will keep it well fed and exercised.... :))
    Ahh yes I must admit that was a rhetorical line, anyway it is true I have had a break from photography not long after buying the D4s, though I am back again and enthusiastic

I will cope for a while with LR 4 but 6 is on the shopping list then.

• kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    I just got a D4s and I have been using the DNG converter free download fron Adobe.com. It works nicely. It is an extra step but it is worth it...
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
    Thanks Kyoshiinikon - I am using DNG Converter, I was realy enquiring if there was an update for LR4+
    it seems not. I am OK with the converter for now but may upgrade to LR6 soonish
    Thanks