#Video . How did they do this?

heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
edited February 2013 in General Discussions
The song is ok .. but just wondering how they did this MV..

I noticed that although its so shaky like a hand held home made video.. the face is remarkably steady !
Post edited by heartyfisher on
Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited February 2013
    Looks like the shakiness was added in post. Shoot wider and crop, then add shake.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    My guess is it's simply a composite. Perhaps the singer performed in-studio (e.g., in front of a green screen) while the background is post-processed in. Notice the lighting on the singer's face doesn't change at all even when she changes directions (take a look at the shadows, eye catch-light, etc.)
  • SkintBritSkintBrit Posts: 79Member
    edited February 2013
    Yes, I'd think Green screen as well, also to add to Ade's observations above, notice how the other pedestrians seem completely disinterested in her. I suppose they could all be extras?
    Post edited by SkintBrit on
    D3s's D700 F100 / Trinity 2.8 Zooms & 1.4 Primes / 105 micro. SB900s with Pocket Wizard Flex TT5 / Mini TT1s. Camranger remote control system.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    Interesting explanation.. but i don't think thats it.. you see her walking in and then walking out of the frame.. you also see people glancing at her and turning around to have a look at the filming.. and the lighting not changing can be explained by the overcast and rainy sky...
    Any other suggestions ?
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• I preface my comments by stating that I know NOTHING about video capture - I propose that the singer was filmed 'in situ' on the street and the rain drops and info incrustation is in post. Frankly I don't think it's a very complicated technique, based on what we see currently.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Lip synch, "raindrops" added in post. The constant light source can be an on camera soft box for fill. Suspect a gyro stabilization unit on camera.

I don't think this is a studio production.

My guess is about as valid as ..... well based on when we shot film almost 50 years ago... and the gyro was super expensive to rent.
    Msmoto, mod
  • cholsoncholson Posts: 17Member
    i think it's a lot simpler than you would expect. there are software apps that allow you to track motion by picking points in the scene (her eyes, nose, mouth would work great here as she never looks away). multiple points allow rotation and horizontal and vertical adjustments. i suspect that this was shot wider than shown and then they applied the effect which rotates and moves the video to stabilize her in the shot. then, the software then zooms/crops the video so you don't see the edges

a quick google search found this short video example

the main light on her was from the light mounted on the camera rig which helps keep the catch lights and her exposure consistent. and the shadow does change, but given the cloudy day, not very much

any edge blur, vignette, rain, snow was added in post
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

There's a camera dolly that can track the subject easily. All Kang Min Hee has to do is follow the dolly and lip sync her song.

My best,

Mike
  • kyoshinikonkyoshinikon Posts: 411Member
    As somebody who does green screening look at the fringe on the coat. Its been chroma keyed... Additionally if sobeit this is legit. A stedicam and some post in after effects could give the same look. All they do is shoot wider and use motion tracking to keep the subject in the same space
    “To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.” - Bresson
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    The image on second look does appear to be keyed on her nose. Even in rapid movements, the frame moves up and down exactly at the same rate as her nose.

It is very interesting to observe...
    Msmoto, mod
  • macsavageg4macsavageg4 Posts: 75Member
    Already been answered but I am gonna say... Carefully?
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited February 2013
    Already been answered but I am gonna say... Carefully?
    ?? more than one answer .. so feel free to contribute your take on it :-)

Post edited by heartyfisher on

• TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    I started with the composite but I think Cholson has the answer.

The one thing I noticed was when the camera actually did move close to her, the DOF shortened and the background (all of it) moved towards Bokeh-ing out and then came back in focus as the camera moved further away. To me that eliminates the "two-shots" and makes it the same shot with software stabilization.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...