Order a D810 today or wait....

2»

Comments

• LennonLennon Posts: 4Member
    I have no idea if you should wait. I am waiting. I have a D800E and D3x now but I'd like more resolution. I hope the D/whatever it will be called refines LV/EFC a bit more and hopefully maintain the fps rate if not improve it a tad. I'd like to see Nikon differentiate the D/whatever from the D810 as a specialized camera vs. a general purpose camera ala Canon and/or Pentax (Pentax being medium format though). That may mean more than 56 MPs.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    edited July 2015
    No matter when you buy a new camera the carrot of what is to come will always be there. At least with the D810 you don't have to change your lenses too. I am sure a lot of Nikon D8xxx were interested in having a look at the Pentax 645Z but like all MF cameras the cost of lenses is not cheap and limited. I had the same problem when I had a D3X but eventually went for the D4 now there is the D4s so you cannot stop progress. Nor would I want to.
    Post edited by paulr on
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • mmcdonaldmmcdonald Posts: 17Member
    d810 should arrive tomorrow. Not pulled the trigger just yet on the 35mm sigma art. Will have a play with the camera first with existing lens. It did however dawn on me that it may be a good time to upgrade my computer for something that will cope with the file sizes. These days I tend to use my work laptop for most stuff excluding photography. So the main purpose for the computer would be photography. Any ideas on what I should be looking at?
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    This info hasn't changed too much in the last year.
    http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/2406/what-about-a-computer-for-processing-images/p1

I would lean toward 16GB RAM, the fastest quad-core i7 cpu, SSD and graphics card de jour. Server grade workstations are probably overkill.
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    My suggestion for a fast computer to handle large file:

Dell XPS 8700 Special Edition
    Processor: 4th generation Intel Core i7-4790 processor
    RAM: 24GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz
    Hard Drive: 2TB 7200 rpm hard drive + 256GB mSATA Solid State Drive
    Video card: at a minimum AMD Radeo HD R9 270 2GB GDDR5 video card
    Windows 8.1 and then move to Windows 10.0 on July 29th...its free
    Monitor: Dell UltraSharp or Professional monitor or other equivalent
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I have a HP laptop 4-5 years old quad core (AMD), 16 meg ram and dual graphic cards. It works fine until it over heats. Wish I had gotten the SSD. I have a cooling pad under it now, we will see how that works. Going back to a tower next upgrade. No $$$ for that now GAS got my money.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Is the fan working? It shouldn't overheat unless the ambient temp is above 100°F
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    A lot of laptops get clogged with dust...
    Always learning.
  • nek4lifenek4life Posts: 123Member
    A lot of laptops get clogged with dust...
    Or pet hair...
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Which can be cleaned :-)
    Are we a bit of course here?
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Slightly - more a veer than a sharp turn.... I'll apply some opposite lock... ;)
    Always learning.
    Lol well the D810 arrived, very nice bit of kit! Should get a chance to test it over the weekend :-)

I looked at the Dell XPS, looks good and dell have a £100 off the price at the minute. Part of me is saying wait for the 5th generation Intel chip though, might even go down the route of building my own PC to achieve a higher spec for the money. Need to do some research though.

edited July 2015
    You can only be impressed with your new purchase, when you see your images on your computer for the first time.
    Post edited by paulr on
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    might even go down the route of building my own PC to achieve a higher spec for the money.

Most of my techie friends recon it is cheaper to buy than build

the exception is those who have a lot of experience and build computers for a hobby
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    I wrote real-time operating systems (i.e. not simple UNIX or Windows operating systems) as part of my job. In retirement, I built custom pcs as a hobby. The pcs I built have 4 SSDs configured as RAID-0 for speed, are overclocked, and liquid cooled. My pcs are toys. They are way over powered for simple photo or video editing. It is cheaper for me to order a custom pc from Cyberpowerpc than it is for me to build my own. I still configure my pcs using their web site but I let them collect and assemble the parts, test the full configuration, and ship my pcs. Typically I buy 2-4 pcs a year.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
    Thanks for the info sevencrossing and rpm. I will look at cyberpower pc! In researching though I did come across a few articles mentioning the 6th gen Intel processors that are a bigger leap forwards and not actually that far off.

So I pulled the trigger on the sigma 35mm lens first.

My current laptop seems ok if slightly slow with the files, HDR or complicated processing is probably going to be too much but no harm in keeping things simple for a while while I investigate.
    edited July 2015
    Desk tops are usually faster than an equivalent laptop
    the important thing seems to be RAM
    I have only 12 most people seem to recommend 24
    I don't have SSD but lots of recommendations it

Are we off topic ?

If this is specific thread to help the OP I don't think so

lots of general comments of the D810 here

http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/3006/d810-all-discussions-questions/p1

Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Topic of whether to order a new D810.....if the next iteration has 50 MP then the use of 24 or more GB of RAM may be something to think about. My current 8 Gigs gets stuck sometimes in lengthy processing of images with dozens of modifications.

At the present time, a new D810 will be far more camera than most of us can use. So, unless one wants to wait for a few months, I would purchase one, or as I have said in the past, a used or refurb D800...heck of a deal, now below $2,000 I believe.
    Msmoto, mod
    Topic of whether to order a new D810.....if the next iteration has 50 MP .
    the : Canon 5DS has 50 mp and scores a Dxo mark of 87
    the D810 scores 97

I agree the Dxo Score is not a definitive measure of quality but then it seems neither is the number of Mps