SanDisk ultra and D610

perkedelperkedel Posts: 19Member
edited July 2015 in D6x0/D7x0/D8x0
I have a Sandisk micro sdxc 64 gig card, rated UHS-I. When I bought my new D610 I used this card and getting card error. I got another replacement from Sandisk a brand-new card. Today when I was taking 4th of July parade pics, I got card error. It was working for a while, started getting error mid parade. Mode is backup. Slot 1 is Sandisk extreme pro 64gb which works fine. Does the d610 not work with the micro sdxc?
Post edited by perkedel on

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Nikon does not test Micro SD cards in their DSLR's, so there is no way to know whether they will work or not.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • perkedelperkedel Posts: 19Member
    Nikon does not test Micro SD cards in their DSLR's, so there is no way to know whether they will work or not.
    That's a comment I expect from Nikon customer service! well yea I know that, they have a list of compatible cards.
    You should be aware that there are other people who have used SD cards with brands not on the list, and that they work just fine.

So, anyone else, who used an SDXC on their FX/DX Nikons?
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    The micro sd to SD adapter is as important as the micro sd card itself to performance.

That is too many variables for anyone to test.

... H
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    That's a comment I expect from Nikon customer service!
    So? What do you want people to say? "I've tests every micro SD card in existence in the Dxxx and they're all fine" or "well that one doesn't work, try another one!" Seriously? If several of the same cards keep giving your problems try a different brand or normal sized cards. It's not rocket science! I have used some micro SD cards in several DSLR's (ADATA) and they were fine, but slow as a dog.

I cannot for the life of me think of any reason to buy a micro SD card to use in a DSLR, considering that they are typically slower the equivalently priced full SDHC and SDXC cards.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    The micro sd to SD adapter is as important as the micro sd card itself to performance.

That is too many variables for anyone to test.

... H
    I use the one that came with Sandisk.
    PB_BM, thanks for your comment.
    That's a comment I expect from Nikon customer service!
    So? What do you want people to say? "I've tests every micro SD card in existence in the Dxxx and they're all fine" or "well that one doesn't work, try another one!" Seriously? If several of the same cards keep giving your problems try a different brand or normal sized cards. It's not rocket science! I have used some micro SD cards in several DSLR's (ADATA) and they were fine, but slow as a dog.

I cannot for the life of me think of any reason to buy a micro SD card to use in a DSLR, considering that they are typically slower the equivalently priced full SDHC and SDXC cards.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Use what Nikon says will work or suffer the consequences.
    I get the how of micro sd in a D610, it is the why that eludes me SD cards are cheap, even fast ones.
    D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    One of my friends who shoots Pentax DSLR's just lost a whole day of shooting by NOT using the recommended memory cards. He learned the hard way about the risk of using cheap and non recommended SD cards.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    I get the how of micro sd in a D610, it is the why that eludes me SD cards are cheap, even fast ones.
    This.

However I do use Samsung cards which aren't on the approved list but they are regular SD cards. I haven't had a problem and they seem like high quality cards. Previously used all SanDisk and never had a problem.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    One of my friends who shoots Pentax DSLR's just lost a whole day of shooting by NOT using the recommended memory cards. He learned the hard way about the risk of using cheap and non recommended SD cards.
    Even better, use cameras with two card slots, using one as a backup.

However I do use Samsung cards which aren't on the approved list but they are regular SD cards. I haven't had a problem and they seem like high quality cards. Previously used all SanDisk and never had a problem.
    I also use SD (and CF) cards of all brands, I was talking about a micro sd in an SD adapter. slower, more expensive, and more connections than a real SD... why?.
    ... H

As a goof, I tried a micro sd in an SD adapter, which I put into an SD to CF adapter, into a D2x. It woked, I then laughed, took a utube video, and never used it for real.

... H

• flight3flight3 Posts: 379Member
    I've used 3 different Sandisk ultra sdxc micro cards (with an sd adapter) in my Nikon D3100 for quite a while and haven't had a problem with any of them. I recently upgraded to Samsung ones only because they were faster and on a good sale. So I don't think there is a problem with using micro sd cards. Are your cards of different speeds? maybe that could be the problem.
    Nikon D3100, 18-55mm VR, 50mm 1.8D, Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 OS, Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight Flash www.dreshad.com
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member

I also use SD (and CF) cards of all brands, I was talking about a micro sd in an SD adapter. slower, more expensive, and more connections than a real SD... why?.
    ... H

As a goof, I tried a micro sd in an SD adapter, which I put into an SD to CF adapter, into a D2x. It woked, I then laughed, took a utube video, and never used it for real.

... H
    I knew what you meant ;-) Was just saying that some brands not on the light might work, but totally agree about just using regular SD cards. Seems silly, but it just adds another thing into the mix of stuff possibly corrupting or not working. And as we are here we aren't sure if it is the camera the micro SD card or the adapter that is causing the problems.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)