DXO Tests new Canon 5Ds and 5DSR: Results? D800 Still On Top

kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
edited July 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Finally DXO has tested the new Canon 5ds and 5dsr and while they are the highest tested bodies ever released by Canon, they still fall well short of the tested D800 series from Nikon and the Sony A7 series cameras.

http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Canon-5DS-5DS-R-Review-New-top-ranking-Canon-EOS-sensor/Canon-5DS-5DS-R-Comparison-3-EOS-5DS-vs-Nikon-D810-vs-Sony-A7R
Tagged:

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    It's nice when things stay the same. Some what surprised that Canon has not closed the gap.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited July 2015
    Yes I was quite surprised to see that Canon has caught up with Sony only with their new 50mp monster release. It is the highest ranked Canon body so that is something at least I guess. ;)
    Post edited by kanuck on
  • TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
    edited July 2015
    The proof of Canon's new camera is how good the images are to the eye with a lens attached to it, and how confident Canon photographers are going to be in capturing what they want when the hit the shutter button. I still shoot with an old D3(DXOMark Score 81), or my D3S(DXOMark 82), when I've got to have keepers instead of my D800, and confident others would say the same about the D4/D4S, and none of these cameras have anything close to the dynamic range of the D800/D810.

There is a lot more to a capable camera than its DXOMark Score.

I can shoot faster with the D3/D3S to catch the right moment, feel like I have much quicker access to camera controls with the D3(S), have the motor drive built into the camera, and know from shooting them both what I can expect, and how to compensate when there is an issue in getting a shot.

Everything about a camera cannot be put into test scores which are nevertheless worthwhile. I appreciate DXOMarks testing database for cameras, and especially their lens tests, which have proven to be very worthwhile to me in making equipment decisions.
    Post edited by TriShooter on
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    That is very reasonable. The test score is simply one of many variables. It always depends on what variable is important to you. I remember that the D1 has Sync speeds as high as the shutter speed due to the electronic shutter. For some photographers they bought the D1 because of this and everything else is secondary. Image quality was good enough on any camera, but they had to have the fast sync speed.
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    From what I understand, Canon still uses its own sensors, which have issues with the color depth. That destroys their DXO rating.

How relevant that is I am not sure, Canon pictures always score pretty well in the leading photography contests.
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited July 2015
    +1 Trishooter, you are right about the lens test databases. I have found it to be much more useful than their body tests and closer to real world shooting. As a quick example, shooting the new 18-35mm lens on the D810 yields better overall images to my eye than shooting with the old 17-35. Probably didn't need DXO to figure this out though.
    From what I understand, Canon still uses its own sensors, which have issues with the color depth. That destroys their DXO rating.

How relevant that is I am not sure, Canon pictures always score pretty well in the leading photography contests.
    Exactly you don't hear pros complaining either. I think the majority of pros including my older brother prefer their Canons regardless of what anyone else thinks. This brings us back around to Trishooter's comments of sticking with what you feel comfortable with and if it isn't broke then don't change it I think...
    Post edited by kanuck on