Using close up filters with Nikon 300mm f4 PF

jeff5150jeff5150 Posts: 27Member
edited July 2015 in Nikon Lenses
Hello all,
Any one out there tested close up filters on a Nikon 300mm f4 PF? I've got a set of Neweer +1/2/4/10 and I tried using them on my D610 + 300mm lens. Having a number of focus issues and the +4 and +10 are pretty much unusable. Constant focus hunting. Filters work without issue on other Nikon lenses. Hoping this isn't a sign of bad focusing issues with the 300mm or perhaps the close-up filters have a limitation (thinking not since they are passive).
Just wondering if anyone else has played around with this scenario?
Thanks!

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    You are probably not close enough. On a 300 they would magnify a lot. Personally I would use extention rings instead.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/375238-REG/Kenko_AEXTUBEDGN_Auto_Extension_Tube_Set.html
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    I have the Kenko set with three rings that you can use individually or combine in any combination. It even maintains auto-focus if that is important to you.
  • jeff5150jeff5150 Posts: 27Member
    Appreciate the advise on the tubes, I might get some to try. From what I've read, you have less light loss with the filters compared to tubes and greater magnification. Still wondering if any 300mm owners out there have actually tried using filters.
  • SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member
    I don't have the 300mm, but I have both tubes and close up filters and they work fine with the 70-200 2.8 vr.
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||
  • Spy_BlackSpy_Black Posts: 79Member
    I use Kenko tubes with an older manual focus 300mm f/4.5 Ai Nikkor on my D600. While you may lose light with the extensions, you retain better image quality. You can crank ISO to 1600 and still maintain high quality images with these bodies, so no worries. If you're using controlled lighting of course you can shoot at any ISO you want.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Has anybody out there ever used a 300 f4 PF with close-up filters on? The OP's question remains unanswered. Whether there is some obscure compatibility issue between a close-up filter and a PF lens is what I wonder.
    Always learning.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    I wouldnt use any old close up filter .. the cheap single element ones introduce lots of CA ..
    go for the multi element ones like the Canon 500D close up or the old (no longer produced) nikon T series filters .. this link shows why .. http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Nikon-Tseries-closeup-lenses-68725

I use the Raynox DCR250 ( 3 elements - must be better :-) ) with my 70-200 and 18-140.. No introduced CA that I can see..
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    I'm sorta interested in the extension tubes or the Canon 500D. I was doing some macro the other day and I felt 105mm was a bit short (for the light placement). One question would there be an advantage in macro with the 300mm with 500D/extension tubes vs the 105mm?
    IMHO a lens designed for macro will always beat a normal lens used normal way round for IQ. The only exception to that can be a reversed prime but that is not for the feint hearted! Using a long lens will give you a much greater working distance though so is good for people with no field-craft skills or patience using available light.

@jeff5150: Have you tried a different +4 and +10 on your PF? Maybe a problem with your examples or are they perfect on another lens?
    Always learning.
  • jeff5150jeff5150 Posts: 27Member
    They work ok on other lenses. I've done a little more testing and I think I know what the issue is.
    Based on the fact that using the 2x filter, the minimum focusing distance is only about a foot (compared to normal ~4 feet). I believe that the 4x/10x places the focus point inside the lens, not allowing it to actually focus on anything. I could be wrong, that's just my perception.

Note, I do have the 105mm macro lens, I was wanting to do some 'extreme macro' views by using filters + telephoto lens.
    If that is the case, You should be able to get a result by focusing the lens at infinity which should move the focus distance outside the lens. FWIW I read that normal (non macro) lenses usually work best at medium to longer focus distances anyway, so I wouldn't use the 300 at minimum focus distance.
    Always learning.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited July 2015

Based on the fact that using the 2x filter, the minimum focusing distance is only about a foot (compared to normal ~4 feet). I believe that the 4x/10x places the focus point inside the lens, not allowing it to actually focus on anything.
    That does not make sense .. the close up filters only effect the distance focused ... ie it makes infinity into some specified distance.. eg my Raynox DCR250 makes infinity to be 250mm in front of the filter. It makes for some counter-intuitive results especially with a zoom lense and especially if it focus breaths ;-) but that's besides the point.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.