MaxBerlinMaxBerlin Posts: 86Member
edited July 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
Using a Nikon 7200 of course.

My non-commercial blog:

https://sonyvnikon.wordpress.com/

Comments

• PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Yes Sir. Right on!
    Saw on the news that he has had to close his doors temporarily. Also heard this is not the first time he has been in trouble. The media is going to have lots of fun with this dentist before it's all over with.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    Yeah, the dentist's story does not sound that credible when you read on.
  • BabaGanoushBabaGanoush Posts: 252Member
    "The media is going to have lots of fun with this dentist"

The only safari I'd ever go on is one where everyone would be shooting with cameras. That said, the behavior of the electronic lynch mob that's been going after this guy is worrisome, certainly nothing I'd call "fun" when you realize how easy it is for mob behavior to turn uncontrollably irrational. There are lots of things going on in the world these days one might be incensed about, but a mob is still just a mob...and a potentially dangerous one at that. The only thing the current outraged mob is missing is their white sheets and pointy hats. No doubt, the way things are going, that's but a temporary oversight.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    @sevencrossing - excellent photo. I have made a copy and sent it to a bunch of friends.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • tektradertektrader Posts: 58Member
    The thought of that bastard killing that Lion makes me nauseous. What is wrong with some people? Their wiring must be wrong....
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I think big game control is an out-dated and largely unnecessary pursuit now and should no longer be used as a means of raising money for conservation (and definitely not mere profit). It is necessary that money is raised, but it should come from other sources. I am sure these guys could raise funds doing photo-safaris instead if that was their only option. Cases of man-eating animals preying on people exclusively are always excepted of course, they have to be exterminated. I freely admit I am a hunter, so that either makes me a hypocrite or makes my opinion more valid, I'll leave that to you.

In this case, we may be having our opinions manipulated by the media (surely not!) and for sure we do not know the exact situation from the shooters perspective. The only images of Sidney alive that I've seen don't show a collar as it was hidden by his mane. Was it light or dark when the shot was taken? At what range? Was the shooter aware of all the facts? If he was, for sure he needs to be punished in a way that will hurt him proportionately, if he wasn't aware, then he will be somewhere between (and including) partially guilty and totally innocent. For sure the driving of the lion towards him is nothing new and as such whether we think is is fair or humane, has no place in our forming an opinion. It is whether he knew he was shooting an animal he shouldn't have been that is all that matters. Apparently, the guides knew what they were doing and have been punished. Whether they have been scape-goats or were actually guilty, I suspect is irrelevant to the media.

To be honest, what troubles me more, as BabaGanoush so eloquently said, is our willingness to be whipped into a frenzy by the media who constantly prove to us that they would rather tell us something sensational than something accurate. The world would be so much better off without some things, and 'the media' (in the dishonest opinion manipulating sense) is near the top of my list.

End of rant.
    Always learning.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    edited August 2015
    Post edited by sevencrossing on