Mirror-less Not So Great

MickslickMickslick Posts: 12Member
edited August 2015 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I don't post too often, but thought I would share a mirror-less saga. So I bought my wife a NEX6 a couple years ago and we are taking a short trip here soon, so thought I would do jump on the bandwagon and travel light, be real cool with a little sony mirror less etc... Well I messed with the thing for a couple of hours and the menu system was just ludicrous then to do simple things like single point focus, bracketing, timed bracketing etc... either not possible or downright archaic. Then a light bulb goes off, how about throwing in the D800 in a nice light Think Tank bag with a 24-120 a couple of batteries filters etc... This little travel set up is not that heavy at all, and I can accomplish what I need to do in a lightening fast manner with much better optics in a whole lot less frustrating way. For whatever it's worth, I think the mirror less thing is way over hyped, especially considering Sony's new beast is not that light any more.

Post edited by Mickslick on

Comments

• kenadamskenadams Posts: 222Member
    To use an analogy, you're basically saying that automatic gear shift will never really hit it big over driving stick since this one time, you rented an automatic and this particular car had trouble with the power windows and no lighter?

Interesting point you got there...

To think that one would actually prefer a camera where, all other things equal, at firing the shutter button a mechanical spring loaded piece of cloth and sheet metal would swipe over the sensor to limit intake of light, but only after the other, way bigger mechanical lever had to move a giant mirror out of the way, the only purpose of which is being able to see while not taking pictures.
  • safyresafyre Posts: 113Member
    Generalizing all of mirrorless cameras through your experiences with an older Sony NEX6 is a bit misleading for everyone else. I've personally used the new Sony A7II's for a shoot and must say that if I wasn't already invested in Nikon, I would probably make the switch. I still might make the switch in the future if Nikon doesn't stay competitive.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I too find it hard to leave the ingrained interface of my Nikon and try some other cameras. I get there, but it isn't usually quick!
    Always learning.
  • tcole1983tcole1983 Posts: 981Member
    Didn't think you could link your personal photography page like that?

Anyway mirrorless just isn't there. I have used one a little bit and I have a coworker who purchased one. He never uses it because it just can't compete with his dSLRs. One of his biggest complaints was the autofocus speed and accuracy. When I used one I felt like it was too simplified and was missing easy access to features...I used a Nikon version and still had some difficulty.

Funny this came up because I now leave my D5000 with 18-55 VR sitting around on the bookshelf to grab and used for some around the house shots. It is a very small, light and compact setup. Or with the 35 F1.8 it makes a good small package camera. This is one reason I kept it. I just used it yesterday to take a couple pictures of the kids.
    D5200, D5000, S31, 18-55 VR, 17-55 F2.8, 35 F1.8G, 105 F2.8 VR, 300 F4 AF-S (Previously owned 18-200 VRI, Tokina 12-24 F4 II)
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    I have played with mirrorless too ..and it is nice and small and .. still not there yet, very close but ..... next iteration..

May be that's why Nikon has not released theirs .. I am thinking now that Nikon may have it right, and are really giving their customers the best deal possible.. so we should wait for nikon's mirrorless.

I know it needs a bit of faith in Nikon and we are a faithless mob ... [-O< :-? :-w
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    I too find it hard to leave the ingrained interface of my Nikon and try some other cameras. I get there, but it isn't usually quick!
    That does not seem to be the OPs moan
    he just seems to be anti mirrorless
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Of course, what I want is a D5...with no mirror but with the same performance and ease of finding menu items. The idea of mirrorless is IMO only to avoid the moving part, increasing FPS up to 20 or so with all the focus luxuries the D5 will have.

I go a bit nutty when I try to use my Olympus Pen E-2, or what ever it is called, the menu system....Geez...

I want dials!
    Msmoto, mod
    edited August 2015
    Of course, what I want is a D5...with no mirror but with the same performance and ease of finding menu items. The idea of mirrorless is IMO only to avoid the moving part, increasing FPS up to 20 or so with all the focus luxuries the D5 will have.

I
    THe D4s manages a mere 11fps
    Do you really need 20
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • MaxBerlinMaxBerlin Posts: 86Member
    Newest Sony switches to 12 bit depending on the mode.

My non-commercial blog:

https://sonyvnikon.wordpress.com/
  • WesleyWesley Posts: 67Member
    I don't post too often, but thought I would share a mirror-less saga. So I bought my wife a NEX6 a couple years ago and we are taking a short trip here soon, so thought I would do jump on the bandwagon and travel light, be real cool with a little sony mirror less etc... Well I messed with the thing for a couple of hours and the menu system was just ludicrous then to do simple things like single point focus, bracketing, timed bracketing etc... either not possible or downright archaic. Then a light bulb goes off, how about throwing in the D800 in a nice light Think Tank bag with a 24-120 a couple of batteries filters etc... This little travel set up is not that heavy at all, and I can accomplish what I need to do in a lightening fast manner with much better optics in a whole lot less frustrating way. For whatever it's worth, I think the mirror less thing is way over hyped, especially considering Sony's new beast is not that light any more.
    The NEX camera menu was pretty bad. Try out their newer A7 and RX series.
    Newest Sony switches to 12 bit depending on the mode.
    Can a mod ban this guy?
    D700: 24-70 2.8, 85 1.8G
    D3100: 18-55
    A7II: 16-35 F4, 55 1.8, 70-200 F4
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited August 2015
    The issue of "need" is not exactly what I was thinking of. But, for some action shots, i.e., especially in sporting events, live animals, race cars, where there can be unintentional occurrences, 20 FPS can capture a moment where 10 FPS may miss it. Also, as the camera focuses, sometimes the subject moves out of the focus point, thus creating unusable images and by the higher FPS, one might capture the moment whereas lower FPS, might miss. Obviously the very high speed video cameras.....100's or 1000's of FPS do this even better.

But, certainly no "need" for this. I often get "need" and "desire" confused....LOL
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    edited August 2015

Can a mod ban this guy?
    A lot of his new threads have been closed
    not sure why this is still running. it seems to have no rhyme or reason
    Post edited by sevencrossing on
  • MickslickMickslick Posts: 12Member
    I post a little personal experience with a mirror less to join in a little bit in the community and two members call for my banning, Wow!
  • starralaznstarralazn Posts: 204Member
    I post a little personal experience with a mirror less to join in a little bit in the community and two members call for my banning, Wow!
    he was talking about MaxBerlin
    Not talking about you :) .Nothing wrong with your post

• MickslickMickslick Posts: 12Member
    Thanks, sorry for the confusion.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @Wesley: @sevencrossing:

Please do not make posts on the forum such as you have above calling for another member to be banned. IF you have any problems with another member, PM any moderator and state your case. That moderator may or may not take any action necessary depending on their take on the situation. That is the rule - if you have a problem, do not air it on the forum, PM a moderator.
    Always learning.