What to get... 24mm

2»

Comments

• nek4lifenek4life Posts: 123Member
    Consider one of the AIS lenses - I have 3 in my signature. If you are shooting landscapes, you don't need anything wider than about f/5.6. And you certainly don't need auto focus.......
    Hmmm I hadn't considered buying an AIS lens. I was thinking about using it for more than landscapes, but if I could find a decent used lens on the cheap then I could buy a nice AF 35mm 1.8/1.4 for general purpose or continue saving for the 24-70mm.

I wonder how the optics of the 24mm AIS compare to some of modern optics in the 24mm focal length. Probably not too far off at f8 I'd imagine. Just curious considering I have a D810.

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    At f/5.6 and above they are just as good as the modern lenses. The 24 2.8 AIS is good and I am considering it to fill my gaping hole between 20 and 28 that I could sale the Titanic through.

Beware the auto-focus versions though, some are duds.

There is a reason that Nikon still makes these AIS lenses and B&H still carries them even though they were introduced 30 years ago. They were top notch back then.

But don't expect great results wide open. That said, for certain subjects, I love shooting my 50 at 1.2.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,745Member
    I may end up getting the PC in 24 though.
  • KillerbobKillerbob Posts: 732Member
    Beware the Nikon 24mm PC-E lens is great for what it is. It is a tilt/shift lens, and though it is OK as a 24mm lens, it is f/3.5, and manual focus.