Will Nikon make a 17mm pc-e?

keplerkepler Posts: 2Member
edited August 2015 in Nikon Lenses
Why is it taking so long for Nikon to produce this lens, and is it implying that Nikon is having technical limitations in producing such a lens?

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I cannot say I've seen any rumours regarding a new PC lens. I get the feeling that Nikon simply does not feel the need to compete in that space, for whatever reason. Then again, it could simply come down to priorities in terms of other lenses coming first.

Considering the drop in lens and camera sales in the past few years, it seems likely that Nikon will be focusing on mass market lenses in the near future. As a result PC lenses are likely to be somewhat low on the list for updating or new releases.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • SnowleopardSnowleopard Posts: 244Member
    I have been wondering the same thing. Nikon doesn't have a PC-E to compete on the wide end with Canon. I know a number of architectural photographers that moved to Canon specifically for that lens.
    ||COOLPIX 5000|●|D70|●|D700|●|D810|●|AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D|●|AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D|●|AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G|●|AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D|●|AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED|●|AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED (Silver)|●|AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III|●|PB-6 Bellows|●|EL-NIKKOR 50mm f/2.8||
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    edited August 2015
    Yeah, 24 is a little on the long side for architecture. A 17 or 20 and a 24 or 28 would be a nice architectural kit.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
  • picturetedpictureted Posts: 153Member
    edited August 2015
    I'd want a 17/4 if the price was in line with the new "G" series. i.e. - $1250-2000. If much higher, I'd decline.
    The ability to change the orientation easily would also be necessary.
    Post edited by pictureted on
    pictureted at flickr
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    PC-E lenses are real specialty lenses- not that Nikon shouldn't make it, but there are lots of things Nikon needs to fix first- such as the total lack of DX wide primes or DX fast glass.

Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    I'd want a 17/4 if the price was in line with the new "G" series. i.e. - $1250-2000. If much higher, I'd decline.
    The ability to change the orientation easily would also be necessary.
    A perspective control lens is a real specialty lens and everything about it is more costly. For example, an f/4 probably has as much glass as a 2.8. There there are all of the mechanisms. Also, with Nikon embracing electronic apertures, the lenses will be able to achieve more movements which will enable them to work very well with landscapes and architecture and not forcing the photographer to send the lens to Nikon if they want it optimized for landscapes.

There older PC lenses are north of $2k. I would expect a new one to be around $3k. But if you are a professional making money from these lenses, you are in the wrong business if that is too high.
    PC-E lenses are real specialty lenses- not that Nikon shouldn't make it, but there are lots of things Nikon needs to fix first- such as the total lack of DX wide primes or DX fast glass.

I doubt that this will happen. Their entire DX line is oriented towards enthusiasts and zooms. If this was in Nikon's plan, they would have done it already.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    With new softwares such as DxO View Point 2 and Lightroom/ Photoshop PC/TS lenses are becoming less necessary for the Professional, If you want the top of the range the Schneider 28mm f4.5 PC-TS SUPER-ANGULON Lens at a mere $10327 00 if you could get one!
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    There is a huge difference between Nikon being unable to make this lens and Nikon choosing not to make this lens. Technical obstacles are not always the limiting factor.

Nikon does not make the lens you discussed because no one as Nikon was able to make a business case for one.
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.
    With new softwares such as DxO View Point 2 and Lightroom/ Photoshop PC/TS lenses are becoming less necessary for the Professional, If you want the top of the range the Schneider 28mm f4.5 PC-TS SUPER-ANGULON Lens at a mere $10327 00 if you could get one!
    You can fix perspective with software, but not the plane of focus.
    Well there always Stacking to create the PoF. with software LOL
    I suppose......but somehow that leaves me cold........
    I must admit its not something I do a lot, but i do like the DxO software
  • picturetedpictureted Posts: 153Member
    It's just not the same in software. I use an Arax 80/2.8 tilt shift lens (less than $400) and being able to tilt has huge benefits in some situations that just can't be simulated in software. I'm tempted by their 35/2.8 TS for just over $600, but I really want wider - anything 24 or less is ok and f4 is fine, since I'd most likely stop down for DOF anyway for landscape use.
    pictureted at flickr
  • esquiloesquilo Posts: 71Member
    I don't think Nikon will make wide angle tilt-shift lens. Tilting a wide-angle probably does not give as much effect due to the large DoF and shifting can be done almost as well in software.
    Nikon D7100 with Sigma 10-20 mm, Nikon 16-85 mm, Nikon 70-300 mm, Sigma 150-500 mm, Nikon 28 mm f/1.8G and Nikon 50 mm f/1.8G.
    Nikon1 J3 with 10-30 mm and 10 mm f/2.8