A Japanese question: what's the right word for freelance photographer

bigeaterbigeater Posts: 36Member
edited August 2015 in General Discussions
I was at an event earlier in the week and trying to explain to a journalist from Japan that I was a freelancer but I don't think I did a very good job. Could anyone tell me the correct idiomatic term for "freelancer" and "freelance photographer." Also, what is the word for someone who is both a photographer and videographer?

Thanks...

Comments

• Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    what is the word for someone who is both a photographer and videographer?
    Talented
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    edited August 2015
    Furikameraman. That is what my in-laws (at the time) called me when I was there running around with my F-80 (N-80 in North America). It was a bit of a joke because the first part sounded a little like "freak" in English.

Don't know videographer.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
  • HockeyManHockeyMan Posts: 68Member
    There is no word for both photographer and videographer.

Technically, videographer is this: "ビデオ撮影家", but I've never heard someone use that term unless it was a professional description.

bee-deh-oh sah-tsu-ei-kah

You could also say photo journalist and they would get the idea.
    D800, 14-24mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4G, 85mm f/1.4G, 70-200mm f/2.8G VR II, TC17E II, D300, DX 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G. Coolpix E5400, some AI lenses from my father.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    There is no word for both photographer and videographer.

Technically, videographer is this: "ビデオ撮影家", but I've never heard someone use that term unless it was a professional description.

bee-deh-oh sah-tsu-ei-kah

You could also say photo journalist and they would get the idea.
    Japlish is always amusing.
    bee-deh-oh =video
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    edited August 2015
    Interesting question, all jokes aside I wondered what it is in Korean and I came up with this 프리랜스 사진 it's the same as English just written in Hangul. Pur-ri-lan-s-u and sajin means photographer. This often happens when a new term or popular phrase becomes common such as "social media" or even a name such as Facebook.

In Japanese how about フリーランスのカメラマン ?
    Post edited by kanuck on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    OK, in some Asian land, freelance would be "no pa fo foto" from someone who speaks only English und ein kleines bischen Deutsch.
    Msmoto, mod
  • HipShotHipShot Posts: 528Member
    I know when a freelance photographer is at my door:

"Hello! Domino's Pizza..!"
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I know when a freelance photographer is at my door:

"Hello! Domino's Pizza..!"
    LOL!
    Always learning.
  • bigeaterbigeater Posts: 36Member
    Thanks guys. I was talking to another Japanese journalist this week and he also said it would be the Japanese pronunciation of freelancer. I think I'll use Ronin because it sounds so dangerous.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    fre..e alance no ca mead aman
    Msmoto, mod