Nikon BS-1 Hot Shoe Cover for Nikon SLR Cameras

After double checking the box and all the packing of my new D5500 I could not find the hot shoe cover. I checked the list of box contents and the manual and there is no listing for one. This is a $2.00 retail item, must cost them a quarter each. You have got to be kidding me!! Is this an error on the factory or is Nikon really trying save a few pennies on a camera.

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Yes, the D3x00 and the D7x00 come with the BS-1, but the 5x00 does not.

Maddening, yes. Go to the retail store you bought it from and I'm sure they'll give you one if you whine real nice. That's what I did.
  • BillktBillkt Posts: 6Member
    I live out in the country, my store is 60 miles away. I have one from an old camera but that is not the point. I think it is an important part.
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    edited October 2015
    Post edited by Rx4Photo on
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• nukuEX2nukuEX2 Posts: 178Member
    I've never got one with my D7200 Body...
    D7200, 40mm Micro Nikkor f2.8, Lowepro AW Hatchback 16,
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Does your D5x00 have a built-in level? If not, buy a hot-shoe cover that has one built-in and think of it as an upgrade. :D
    Always learning.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Nikon stopped supplying the BS-1 hot shoe cover with new bodies starting with the D800 IIRC. More minuscule cost cutting methods to appease stockholders. That said, I never was a fan of the BS-1 anyway. I aways replaced it with the BS-2 designed for the D3/D4 series bodies anyway.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I have lost several of these and rarely have one on the camera...

Kinda like the eyepiece cover...so for long exposures, piece of gaffer's tape...
    Msmoto, mod
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I am sure I did not get one with my new 810..I just put it in the box anyway to bring out when I sell ..makes the camera look as if its not been used seriously...
  • BillktBillkt Posts: 6Member
    Does your D5x00 have a built-in level? If not, buy a hot-shoe cover that has one built-in and think of it as an upgrade. :D
    That was exactly my plan since I don't have a level on my tripod.

• heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    I've never got one with my D7200 Body...
    ditto
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    edited October 2015
    I don't have an external flash, so I never took it off my cameras. My D7000 and D40 came with them.

It's a little inconsequential, and I wouldn't miss it. The only thing I'd be slightly worried about is if I have my camera over my shoulder and the hot shoe hooks onto something by accident.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    The main worry is an accidental blow crushing the soft metal hotshoe preventing its use.
    Always learning.
  • esquiloesquilo Posts: 71Member
    The main worry is an accidental blow crushing the soft metal hotshoe preventing its use.
    If the metal is soft it is easy to bend back. But it can become unreliable if it hapens often.
    Nikon D7100 with Sigma 10-20 mm, Nikon 16-85 mm, Nikon 70-300 mm, Sigma 150-500 mm, Nikon 28 mm f/1.8G and Nikon 50 mm f/1.8G.
    Nikon1 J3 with 10-30 mm and 10 mm f/2.8
    I don't carry a tool kit to work on my cameras when I am working, I just use the cover.
    If the metal is soft it is easy to bend back. But it can become unreliable if it hapens often.
    I don't carry a tool kit to repair my cameras when I am working, I just use the cover. Jamming something else in there to pry it open can easily do more harm than good.
    Always learning.
    I don't carry a tool kit to work on my cameras when I am working, I just use the cover.
    Well, I always carry a Leatherman. I almost think I use that more often than my camera.
    Nikon D7100 with Sigma 10-20 mm, Nikon 16-85 mm, Nikon 70-300 mm, Sigma 150-500 mm, Nikon 28 mm f/1.8G and Nikon 50 mm f/1.8G.
    That will get taken off you in the UK. 8-|
    Always learning.
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    Why can't you have a Leatherman.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    The cops don't carry guns, so pointy objects in the hands of non-cops would put the cops at an unfair disadvantage.
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    edited October 2015
    It's a tool. I guess you eat with your hands then. Well back on topic. I lost the hot shoe cover for my D80 some years back and when I wanted to put on a flash it wouldn't go on. Had to pry the edge up with a screw driver. Got a Nikon cover from B&H I think. So they just stay on my cameras now.
    Post edited by Parke1953 on
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    That's true, I've seen some pretty beat up cameras and sometimes they have the hot shoe bashed in.
    That will get taken off you in the UK. 8-|
    I'm not sure how long the blade is on a Leatherman, but that might even be taken away right before you board the plane.

Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    I'm not sure how long the blade is on a Leatherman, but that might even be taken away right before you board the plane.
    Yoy can not take it into the cabin, but in checked-in luggage it's ok.
    Now, back on topic.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    For those of us who misplace the hot shoe cover, one caveat is to make every attempt to not abuse the camera. While my equipment may get scratched, bumped, etc., I am cautious about setting the camera down, attempt to avoid a collision with the second body when both are in action, and clean the dirt, mud, water, off my camera when finished for the day.

The hot shoe needs consideration to maintain a good contact area for the flash connection if this is used. Thus cleaning may be required with a contact cleaner or other, all of these issues being minimized by a cover.
    Msmoto, mod
  • kanuckkanuck Posts: 1,300Member
    Wow that sucks Billkt! I wouldn't be very happy either. I actually heard that Nikon will stop adding their screen protectors to their cameras in the box as well....
    Wow that sucks Billkt! I wouldn't be very happy either. I actually heard that Nikon will stop adding their screen protectors to their cameras in the box as well....
    I don't mind that because I find them to be hideous anyway.
    Always learning.