Flash - strobes - On site/light travel kit.

2»

Comments

• GitzoGitzo Posts: 174Member
    TTJ;

I was just thinking about you ! I have the link copied right here; www.SteeleTraining.com
    Now, hopefully, when I post this, it will turn into a "hyperlink" ? I think it is ? (I'm not much of a nerd, I'm afraid ). It's the advert right at the top of the page ! "online speedlight portrait course" I can't really say how his course is, but I must say, I think he has a very good idea ! And all successful endeavors begin with a great idea. Most people who gain a lot of knowledge, then seek to profit by training others, usually either write a book, make DVDs, or both; both "work", but both ARE a lot of work, take a lot of time and careful preparation, and both require capital investment. This fellow has put everything on videos, which, once you pay for, you can watch them over and over; so you need not accumulate a mountain of DVDs, and he saves a ton of money by not having to physically produce and mail a ton of DVDs; anything that saves a vendor a dollar, he can sell for a dollar less, which gives HIM a competitive advantage, and the customer gets a better price.

Obviously, the first question I will be asked is........"what if I send my money and nothing comes back ?" my honest answer to that is........"been there, done that" ! But I'm an optimist; I rely on my "6th sense", and my experience in spotting value; overall. I'm so far ahead that I could afford to "lose a few", and still be miles ahead. ( BTW, I mentioned one good example of that on a thread just a few days ago.)

I probably spent the better part for half an hour or so checking the site out; I'm very prone to study advertising that pertains to things I have an interest in, partly because I'm an addictive reader, but mostly because I'm always looking for the next "good deal"; I realize it may sound dumb, but my overall track record since I first got on the internet 12 or 14 years ago is such, that I can't help feeling that I have developed something of a "nose" for good deals. ( But who knows ? Maybe I've just been lucky ? ) I look at it this way; everyone who advertises to sell something is interested in making a profit; honest people, (and SMART people) have found out that the best way to make money on the internet, is to have a LOT of customers; the BEST way to get a lot of customers is to provide at the very least, as much value as th customer is hoping for, even more is better for them and for the seller; I've made so many transactions on eBay I've not only learned a lot, I've had 99% success, and only a few meager losses.

And Tommie; is that that your bike ? You have me confused here; the moment ADE mentioned that monumental bike trip from Canada to Argentina, (then posted the picture of his bike, my mouth has been watering to hear the story behind that year. That sounds like one monumental accomplishment to me, and couldn't help but be a marvelous story to read about.
    Obviously this website doesn't work like the one I spend the most time on; The link didn't turn "hyper" !
    So all you have to do is copy and paste it. (any explanations on how to create links on NRF will be greatly appreciated !)
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    You just gotta put the other junk there to make it a URL:
    http://www.steeletraining.com/
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    @ Gitzo
    Yes, this was somewhere in Nebraska or Wyoming...From Greensboro, NC to Portland, OR in 4 and a half days.... wonderful ride. I might do this in a car or my RV sometime again.
    Msmoto, mod
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    @Gitzo - FYI the advertisements are different for everyone and if I'm not mistaken, generated by some google engine based on your browsing history - I have lens rentals for my advertisement at the moment. Thanks for the link though. Took a look around - probably more basic and focused on fundamentals than what I'm looking for. I'm more of a down and dirty learning person, image example - diagram set-up - settings is really what I look for.

D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
    edited February 2013
    Tommie; What.....were you trying to set some kind of "transcontinental" record ? WoW ! You're sure are in a lot bigger hurry that I am ! It takes me 4 1/2 to 5 days to drive to Arizona from Terre Haute, by the time I run the 2 lanes all the way, and stop every 25 miles to "check out" every "this & that" I see along the way. I'm afraid my 2 wheel days are all behind me now; my new bride is scared to death of MCs; plus every where we go now we have to have room for the two of us, plus the two cats, 1 rat terrier, and about 5 cartons of dialysis solution; not to mention, in about another month she'll be using a "cycler" machine ( which is about the size of two 5 gal. water jugs side by side; ( kidney dialysis on-the-go, that's us !

TTJ; wow ! That's unbelievable ! I have something in the mail from Amazon right now that I bet would help; I just ordered a copy of Mike Hagen's "Nikon Creative Lighting System"; I spent a couple of hours looking through it on line the other day; First book on sopped lights I've ever seen that I think I can learn something from; the guy really has a knack for explaining highly technical stuff to dummies; (like me) it oughta be here tomorrow; I'll give you a shout after I've had some time to check it out.
    Post edited by Gitzo on
  • safyresafyre Posts: 113Member
    edited February 2013
    +1 Ade

Nobody here is mentioning Alienbees (specifically the B800/B1600) which can be had for cheaper (or the same price in the case of the B1600) than SB-700s, and provide more than enough light to overpower sunlight. I used to be a strobist as well until i realized, how much space exactly are you saving? You still need to bring light stands, modifiers, triggers, etc. And if you're trying to overpower sunlight, you're going to need multiple speedlights to do that if you use HSS. In all, you're probably going to spend more time and bring more stuff than in order to use all those speedlights than if you just had a strobe to begin with. The only time I would still use a speedlight set up is if it were indoors, or near night time, where a single barebulb SB-800 provides enough light.and I would be able to just use CLS. Other than that, strobes are a much more viable option.
    Post edited by safyre on
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    @TTj

I read McNally's "Hot Shoe Diaries". That gives a lot of details, diagrams, setups, triggers, modifiers, etc.

I like the phottix Odin btw. Well worth the money. The package with the control unit contains one receiver.
    I read McNally's "Hot Shoe Diaries". That gives a lot of details, diagrams, setups, triggers, modifiers, etc.

I like the phottix Odin btw. Well worth the money. The package with the control unit contains one receiver.
    I do like the Hot shoe diaries - I also have about 15 other books - all in boxes from my move in October - I'll see if I can find them to post. Not easy to find dedicated diagram books. The "Strobist" series books are really good.

Good to hear about the Odin system. I kind of keep bouncing a bit. I have a couple of Stratto II which I can mix cls in with those in manual mode. I could get a Su800 for $200, and a couple more of those as well for only about $125. Realistically, there is not too many situations where I have more than 1 or 2 flashes that are hidden from view. Bright Sun does knock them out at times, but I can rotate the heads and body out of the sunlight usually. There are many ways to catch the CLs though:

Maybe I'm looking in all the wrong places for the Alienbees, Quadra rangers, etc. The alienbees from where I look range from $480-$589 (With a battery - everyone seems to forget to add that in and I don't understand why.) I do have them in the back of my mind as they are about the same as a SB910, but do weigh 3x as much, take up almost 3 times the space as well. Plus bulbs that break/replace, various reflectors, can't zoom, no TTL or CLS. But they are powerful when you need it though.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • Vipmediastar_JZVipmediastar_JZ Posts: 1,708Member
    @msmoto bicycles too? If so i hope my bicycle series pleases your eyes.

I have two b800 and im thinking of adding the vagabond mini to power them. Mostly because i want to use the beauty dish with them for portraits amd one comig up Band shoot in middle of winter.

I have a sb-800 and renting a sb-900 for this week. I will probably take one light stand one Bee plus umbrella and beauty dish for a joyfull 3 hour drive to my inlaws.
    This is where the nikon units are more handy since I dont have a minivan yet.

Now having paid for all my gear the next cheaper option would be to purchase the vagabond battery pack vs a sb-910
    My goal would be to shoot portraits mostly in places where there are no electrical outputs.
    However as a secondary option i may purchase the sb910 and keep/sell the sb800.

Whats your opinion?

What would be more practical in the long run. Usually i spend 20.00+ for the ultimate lithium AA batteries that last me a while with sb800.

The reason im considering the sb900 for the ease of menus on the fly and if read correctly the 200mm coverage and i will be renting a sb-900 in the future so i want to be familiar with it because sb800 are non longer available to rent.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Vipmediastar said: What would be more practical in the long run. Usually i spend 20.00+ for the ultimate lithium AA batteries that last me a while with sb800.

Totally agree with you, the Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA batteries last a long time in my SB-800. I just bought 2 packs of 4 this week. Many places have them on sale.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I have a few bicycles but am now too heavy to get on…LOL
    Msmoto, mod
  • ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
    edited November 2013
    Profoto B1

http://profoto.com/b1

The awesomeness of simplicity...

This Will be my go to light when I eventually get one...
    Post edited by ChasCS on
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

edited November 2013
    Profoto B1
    The awesomeness of simplicity...
    This Will be my go to light when I eventually get one...
    $2,000 for one light and $400 or the controller that only works with it? (500w/s & rated for 200 flashes - so others don't have to look it up) That is not worth it at all. The equivalent of this is 3 Sb-910s (approx). I have seen some large lights that are worth it, but all it is, is a expensive speed light. Most would rather have 5 new sb910 speed-lights (or any number of brands) for the same cost.

It may look cool, sound cool, but light is light and there are many better options for much, much cheaper.

I will say, this is cool to see them releasing this and will only push more companies to release their own. In the future when other companies release their own units and the cost drops for this type of flash, it will be something good for photography.
    Post edited by TaoTeJared on
  • ChasCSChasCS Posts: 309Member
    edited November 2013
    Well true, there is the limitations you mention... But man, you know full well, we can work around them things, correct?

Can I use the B1 with PocketWizard® units or other radio triggers?

Yes. If you use the Air Remote TTL-C you can slave sync your speedlights either by activating the optical slave on your speedlight or by connecting an Air Sync or an Air Remote unit to the sync jack of your speedlight. The B1 also has an optical slave and a sync jack, so if you are already using speedlights off-camera with PocketWizard® or other radio triggers, you can slave sync B1 as well!

How many full power flashes can I get out of a single battery?

220 full power flashes. Up to 50,000 flashes at lowest power!

So buying a second battery and having if charged will increase your shots.
    Same things we already do.

Yes, I Still like the look of it, you're correct there.
    We males are and always have been visually stimulated creatures, of habit.
    But it is a quality unit, and as stated in time, hopefully, yes prices will drop substantially.
    That's why I say it WILL be mine, but in the near to distant future,

This business of lighting is a serious business indeed, but I don't need (not to say I wouldn't like) three or more SB-910's hanging off light poles to satisfy my desire to dream of dandy lighting scenarios in and farout of doors.

Anyway those concerns you shared were already answered, quite simply...
    See, there's always some solutions. If not satisfactory, not ideal, share with them your recommendations, perhaps they can develop those improvements into future updates. Send them feed back for increased battery life too.
    Post edited by ChasCS on
    D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
    SB-910~WG-AS3, SB-50, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s* x2, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-I 60MB/s* x1
    Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22 Panhead
    Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness ~ Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, Lens Case 11 x 26cm
    FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Vivitar Zoom 285, Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePlay XD1080

• autofocusautofocus Posts: 625Member
    Resurrecting this thread. I just saw an Adorama ad for the ORLIT RoveLight RT 610 HSS TTL Monolight with On Board Power for Nikon (Bowens Mount). $699 and includes the Nikon TTL HSS controller and standard Reflector. Battery powered and has up to 450 flashes at full power. Seems like a more reasonable deal than the others out there. I have a Profoto D1 500 kit but this looks like a great outdoor/travel light. Anybody seen or used these yet? Mark me interested...