D7000 questions and discussion

2»

Comments

• rctneilrctneil Posts: 39Member
    edited February 2013
    f-stop is 3.5. What should the Auto ISO min and max values be approximatley. I'm guessing here that I am getting confused with what the minimum shutter speed should be.
    Post edited by rctneil on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I think you are no doubt making some type of error in setting the camera. While the variables are ISO, shutter speed and aperture, the camera has about twenty settings for ISO. You have minimum shutter, maximum ISO, on or off, etc. Also, the shutter speed, I do not know hwy you are shooting at 1 second. Unless you are stopped down to about f/5.6 or 8, and if your ISO is set to 400 inside..

I doubt anyone can answer your questions because we cannot see the camera and the settings. So, set ISO at 800. Turn off auto ISO. Set camera on a tripod. Use matrix metering. Set aperture to f/5.6. Now, in a normally lighted room, begin to take exposures from one second, half second, 1/4 sec. 1/8 sec/ 1/16sec/ 130 sec. Then download the files to your computer and see what you have. One of these may be correct. Then go from there.

I have just done this and there should be some decent photos from the test.

You may give us a report of how you are doing.
    Msmoto, mod
  • GabGab Posts: 63Member
    edited February 2013
    Just a quick question. Just had a quick go with the camera indoors but with great lighting. I had it in SP mode with Auto ISO on and max sensitivity at 6400 and min SP at 1sec.

Every single shot I took used 6400 ISO. Why is this? Have I set something wrong? The ISO being set doesn't seem to change depending ont he light conditions?
    I imagine the camera will set the iso the the max iso (unless you are in really bright sunlight) and play with the aperture to obtain a good exposure. (I think it's pretty much the same setting as if you used iso 6400 dialed in manually, with auto iso off) This is similar to how the camera will choose iso2500 in green auto mode with a hot shoe flash on top. (that's the max iso for auto iso in green mode I think, my sister took shots of me dancing this one time and all of them were really high iso...)

Post edited by Gab on
  • Jim8Jim8 Posts: 1Member
    "Just a quick question. Just had a quick go with the camera indoors but with great lighting. I had it in SP mode with Auto ISO on and max sensitivity at 6400 and min SP at 1sec.

Every single shot I took used 6400 ISO. Why is this? Have I set something wrong? The ISO being set doesn't seem to change depending ont he light conditions?"...

You didn't say what shutter speed you were at, just that you were in shutter priority mode. Set the shutter to 1/30 or 1/60 and I'm sure you won't be at 6400 iso. And, are you sure you don't have exposure compensation dialed in? When you look through the viewfinder do you see a little +/- box? It would be just to the left of where it says ISO Auto.

Try this, set mode to "S" (Shutter priority). Set the shutter to 1/30. Configure Auto ISO to 6400 max iso, and 1/30 min shutter speed. Set meter to matrix metering. Make sure that no exposure compensation is set by pressing the +/- button on the top right of you camera while turning the rear command dial left or right until 0.0 compensation shows in the viewfinder. Now take your shot and see if that helps. there is no way, in a brightly lit room you should be at 6400 iso.

• rctneilrctneil Posts: 39Member
    Just put up some of the 950 odd photos I took last Sunday at Alton Towers on Flickr. Let me know your thoughts: http://www.flickr.com/photos/57951266@N03/sets/72157632826334688/

The rest are still uploading so please refresh every now and again.