Rockwell Dumps Nikon

Comments

• phk84phk84 Posts: 10Member
    His argument for leaving Nikon may be relevant for him, but not for me. Most of it is just opinions not facts. I´m not a follower i try to make my own opinion, and once you have invested in a system you´re not likley to change. I have trusted Nikon for many years and will continue to do this. At one time Canon may be slightly better on a few parameters, and a few months later Nikon has the lead again.
    Nikon D810, MB-D12, Nikon AF-S 20/1,8G ED, AF-S 58/1,4G, AF-S 105/2,8G IF ED VR Micro, AF-S 300/4,0 E PF ED VR, AF-S TC-20E III 2x, Nikon SB-910, Nikon R1C1, Sirui T-2205X+G-20KX carbon, Billingham 555.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    and a few months later Nikon has the lead again.
    I am not nearly convinced Nikon has lost the lead.
    Always learning.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    edited December 2015
    Nikon clearly has the lead in sensor performance. Ken thinks Canon has the lead in user interface. Maybe, but UI can be a matter of preference and for those of us used to the Nikon UI it is much easier to keep using it rather than learn a new UI. However, even the most die-hard Nikon fanboy must admit Canon has a larger market share and there must be some reason for that. I note lots of wedding and portrait photographers shoot Canon. They must have a reason for doing so and not switching to Nikon for its better sensor performance. I suggest if Canon really does render skin tones better and if you really don't need to recover shadow details Nikon sensor's greater dynamic range doesn't mean much, especially when you are not a landscape photographer.

I should ad, just wait until Nikon releases the D5 and a body with a 50+ megapixel sensor in 2016. Ken may change his rankings.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member
    That's like saying it's a pity Donald Trump has such a huge sway on Americans...

He can yap all he wants, I'm not listening to either of them.

He has his opinion, I have mine. :D
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • esquiloesquilo Posts: 71Member
    On one single point I have to agree with KR; Nikons battery chargers suck.
    Nikon D7100 with Sigma 10-20 mm, Nikon 16-85 mm, Nikon 70-300 mm, Sigma 150-500 mm, Nikon 28 mm f/1.8G and Nikon 50 mm f/1.8G.
    Nikon1 J3 with 10-30 mm and 10 mm f/2.8
    Surely they must blow or the batteries would never charge.... :D
    Always learning.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    On one single point I have to agree with KR; Nikons battery chargers suck.
    In what way? Is canon any better?

I've never used a Canon charger, but assuming Ken is right, Canon chargers 1) don't need a cord but plugs directly into the socket, and 2) they give charging progress feedback.
    Nikon D7100 with Sigma 10-20 mm, Nikon 16-85 mm, Nikon 70-300 mm, Sigma 150-500 mm, Nikon 28 mm f/1.8G and Nikon 50 mm f/1.8G.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,287Member

I've never used a Canon charger, but assuming Ken is right, Canon chargers 1) don't need a cord but plugs directly into the socket, and 2) they give charging progress feedback.
    I haven't used the latest and greatest Nikon bodies, but for the D7000 they plug right into the socket too on a little elbow joint. If you like the cord, the old cords fit it too, in case your sockets are too cramped. I've fitted the cord from my D40 charger on the D7000 charger. If you lose the little plug at the end, it's kind of annoying though I would imagine.

Charging progress would be great, but all I need to know is if it's full or not.

Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Every Nikon charger I own plugs directly into the wall. I agree, progress indicator or even a multicolor LED (red for charging, green for done?) would be nice.. I solve that by buying an extra battery. This way I always have a fully charged battery. One in the camera, one on deck, one in the charger.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited December 2015

The last Nikon charger the shipped with an extension cord was the MH-18a for the EN-EL3 series of batteries. No camera has shipped with that charger since the D700/D300s were discontinued. The charges for all the modern Nikon batteries (EN-EL14a and EN-EL15 etc) all have direct wall plugs (in North America), although you can use an extension cord with them if you remove to included plug and have the right cord, which you would have if you have the cord for the older MH-18a.

All the Nikon chargers give charge feedback (blinking light) and the single digit D series bodies chargers all give charge levels just like the 1DX. As far as I know all the lower end Canon chargers just have a blinking light like the Nikon models.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 905Member
    I have three Nikon chargers that work as well as the Canon Pro charger if not better.
    After the first time you re-charge your battery you know how long it takes, so...
    Always learning.
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    edited December 2015
    This subject matter has seemed to change to chargers,The Nikon D4 charger is a ridiculous Price compared to none Nikon identical chargers. Which I had to buy to charge a D4 battery for my D810 grip £50 compared to Nikon price of £250 00.
    Post edited by paulr on
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits

The last Nikon charger the shipped with an extension cord was the MH-18a for the EN-EL3 series of batteries. No camera has shipped with that charger since the D700/D300s were discontinued. The charges for all the modern Nikon batteries (EN-EL14a and EN-EL15 etc) all have direct wall plugs (in North America), although you can use an extension cord with them if you remove to included plug and have the right cord, which you would have if you have the cord for the older MH-18a.
    In North America, maybe. In Europe, no. Even though the charger runs fine on either 110 volt ord 230 volt there is no way to plug the NM-25 into a european wall socket without a cord.
    I mean MH-25, not NM-25
    =
    In North America, maybe. In Europe, no. Even though the charger runs fine on either 110 volt ord 230 volt there is no way to plug the NM-25 into a european wall socket without a cord.
    Interesting, I find it somewhat odd that they don't offer the wall plug adaptor like they do for the NA plug. Mind you the NA option is an ungrounded 2 prong adapter, which isn't great anyway. It would be nice if it was a three prong grounded plug, considering what the charger is doing.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,744Member
    I plug my Nikon chargers into walls in Europe just fine with cordless adapters.
  • tektradertektrader Posts: 58Member
    edited December 2015
    All Nikon chargers give charge feedback indication. The faster the leds blinks the emptier the battery is. If its blinking slowly the battery is almost full. AND I prefer corded chargers. The charger bodies block out the other AC outlets when wall mounted and then you can only use one....

Also, Australian chargers have corded inlet plugs only, which means I can just swap the power cord if I go to another country and don't have to have an adaptor.
    Post edited by tektrader on
    Enough with the chargers already! >:)
    Always learning.
    It's better than talking about Ken Rockwell. ;)
  • KR's comments on the newish 24mm are consistent with my experience (and the images prove the quality) and as always, he does not mince words, nor does he flaunt his own choices over the Nikon. Perhaps he is born from the same cloth as the likes of Mr. Trump and is simply not politically correct. Style over substance? Is that what the argument is all about? It is so easy to criticize for any blemish, social media police being what they are we all tend to have to fit into a range of responses or be condemned. It used to be fashionable to say, I may not agree with what you say but I defend your right to say it. Our sympathies have shifted so that "Big Brother" is all the trolls seeking an opportunity to dig their claws into the next unsuspecting victim to shift others to align to some social mores. For what, to gain attention to themselves of course. Stick with posting images. That says more about your person than grabbing the microphone and screaming "foul". KR does a reasonable job of posting images, including from his Ca trips.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,692Member
    flip: Agreed! KR has a style of communication, like Trump has, which must be understood and taken into account. Also, many of his photos are better than many of those we see on PAD. Sure his colors are too strong for many of us, especially the skin tones, but that also is a "style" he likes. His objective data reporting is good. Some of his "opinion's" are vast overstatements. Consider Trump and Carson in the current republican primary contest. Trump's comments are overstated; Carson's are understated. Which of the two gets more attention? Ken's overstated style gets more attention than others understated style and that attention drives more visitors to his site which allows him to be more successful in generating revenue from advertisers. In that way KR has been more successful in generating an income from photography than many of us no matter how much we like to complain about him. Back to the issue of this thread. He has jumped to calling Canon the "best" about a year ago primarily because he prefers Canon's user interface. Wait until after the D5 and the 50+ mp sensor (D8xx?) come out this year. Ken will at least call them the best action and the best technical image quality cameras.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Why criticize Ken when one can go to his website and look at his family photos....shot with Canon, ......if they were on "Critique My Image" we could probably go for a few pages....the question in my mind is, if one is a professional photographer/critic, or whatever, why on earth would they not have the very best snapshots on their website? Baffling.....
    Msmoto, mod
  • ThomasHortonThomasHorton Posts: 323Member
    Generally, I think that the photography community would be a little bit better if photographers paid a little less attention to what other photographers like/dislike.

Shoot what you like, the way you want to, with the equipment you prefer.

It makes life so much easier and less stressful.
    Gear: Camera obscura with an optical device which transmits and refracts light.