Who has used the Adobe lens profile creator?

spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
I'm trying to use this thing but info is scarce to say the least! There are a gazillion charts that can be used and no word on which to use for what lens etc. There is a comment that mentions a 'Calibration Chart Shooting Guide for the Adobe Lens Profile Creator' but it isn't a link and I can't find it anywhere else.

I need to make one for my D750/ Samyang 24/f1.4 as there are none specific to that camera and as far as I can see, if the pretty name for the camera in the EXIF is different, it doesn't appear as an option when trying to enable it in Lightroom.

I have tried to stitch multiple images but it seems that without geometric distortion and vignette correction (at least), PS can't stitch them reliably whereas when the data for a given lens/body combination does exist, it can.

Any help would be appreciated guys.
Always learning.

Comments

• pe1125pe1125 Posts: 5Member
    I've used it with some success to create a profile for a Samyang 8mm fisheye. I was able to find the User guide and the guide for shooting the calibration chart.
    User guide is at:
    http://wwwimages.adobe.com/www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/products/photoshop/pdfs/lensprofile_creator_userguide.pdf
    I found a copy of the Shooting guide at:
    http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/lensprofile_creator/lensprofile_creator_chartshooting_qs.pdf

I made up a rather large checker board chart for calibrating the wide angle and had it printed at the local UPS store/Copy shop. The process was a lot easier than I thought and the the calibration photos do not require precise positioning and alignment. I had thought I would need to use a tripod and carefully align each shot but you can actually just fire away hand held as long as you hold your position well.

Hope this helps
    Peter
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited December 2015
    @pe1125:

Hi Peter, Thanks for your input on this, much appreciated.

I am looking to use the creator for my 24mm which is always focused around infinity so I also would like to know whether the corrections that I would get using the LPC (as they would not be shot anywhere near infinity) would be good enough? I suppose you had a similar problem?

How big was the chart you had printed? I wonder if it is it necessary to go huge for the wider angle lenses?

EDIT: Most of the answers are in the chart shooting guide thanks.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    Hi again @pe1125 or anybody else that can help!

I am still trying to use the lens profile creator tool to create a lens profile for use in my Lightroom and Photoshop cc packages, but the are too many gaps in the user guide to do so. Here is my problem:

I want to create a profile for my Samyang 24mm f1.4 which is not on the installed database. I understand that I need to print various charts to use at various focal distances, and the guide shows a total of nine overlapping shots being used to cover the image area. I can do this using a couple of the supplied charts at close distances, but I need to do a series further away (4 metres) but I find there are no charts large enough to allow me to do it with nine shots due the the lens being a wide angle. Do I use more than 9 shots or am I limited to using the largest chart at the furthest distance that allows me to cover the field of view in nine shots? I need to know this quickly so I can get the charts printed before the Christmas break.

Many thanks to anybody who responds!

Adobe support is a hideous joke.
    Always learning.
    So I just had a chat with an Adobe support person and he had zero idea what the LCPC is, what it does or how to do it but, he is going to find out and get back to me tomorrow. the LCPC guide says print the largest chart you can, then shoot a nine shot overlapping mosaic at three focal distances - impossible with a 24mm lens. Grrr!
    Always learning.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Were the profiles that others have done unusable?
    edited December 2015
    Hi Ironheart, thanks for your interest. I could not find a D750/Samyang 24/1.4 profile.

TBH the info given by adobe is so confusing I have little faith that a.n.others profile would be right so I have committed to making my own. Have you read the guides yourself? They talk about using just one chart, then they go on to say shoot at 1x Min Focus Distance, 2xmfd and 5xmfd which with a 24mm and so shooting 9 frame mosaics like they say, would not be possible. You can see that if the 2xmfd worked, the 1xmfd would be too close for 9 overlapping shots and when shooting the 5xmfd, the charts would not overlap or come close to it. If I shot with a chart that worked at 5xmfd, it would not fit in the frame at 1xmfd. Also, they say there is flexibility in the distances so I would have preferred to shoot a set further away as this lens is exclusively used at or near infinity so 1x, 2x and 5x mfd is not representative of how I use it. Having said that, I am not sure how much geometric distortion changes with focus distance. If they said use more than 9 shots or more than one size chart that would be OK.

They have a vast range of charts in the folder which they recommend only a few from (not at all sure why) and they range from around 5"x9" to 51"x73". Now if I can choose the right size chart for each distance, no problem but they way it is written, they mean use just one chart for all distances.

Maybe your fresh eyes would help here Drew.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    Interesting - Adobe support just got back to me and said the Samyang doesn't report distance info back to the body in the EXIF which means I don't have to shoot the different focal distances. Mine does have the focus confirm chip which I would have thought would have included that info but apparently not. Anybody know better?
    Always learning.
    This one I can help you with. The "focus confirm" is a misnomer, the only thing the "chip" does is confirm the aperture, and say "hi" to the CPU (for EXIF data) Try a completely manual lens; it will still give you a green dot.
    Thanks for that info, I did notice it is a little vague in operation, but I put that down to the large depth of field of a wide angle lens (as I don't know exactly how that works). OK, then I suppose I only need to print the A0 size and move as far away from it as I can while still getting a nine shot overlapping mosaic at four aperture settings starting at f1.4.

Always learning.
    Sounds like a Christmas Story to me :-)
    Yeah, it is my project for this Christmas break. I wish Adobe support would answer my questions accurately and not answer questions I haven't asked them or only answer two out of three questions necessitating another email and another wait for a reply. After I got a couple of expensive high quality A0 prints done they told me they will be including that lens in their next release... :-??
    Always learning.
    Well, you can keep them for the next wide-angle lens you buy. >:)